Monday, 9 October 2017

Grizzly 2018 Ballot Results.


Today has been a nerve-wracking day: it's results day for the Grizzly 2018 race ballot, and my phone has been pinging all afternoon since the first set of results began coming out at lunchtime with friends who've either got in and are ecstatic or haven't and are sad.

You may remember me running the Grizzly Cub back in March of this year- it was the first real race I'd done: 9 miles over the cliffs and around the beaches between Seaton and Branscombe. The race is hosted by Axe Valley Runners and pulls in about 1500 competitors  from all round the country and a few from abroad split between the two distances (9 mile Cub, 20 mile Grizzly). M has been doing it for years, in all weathers and in all conditions. Some years I've sunbathed on the beach waiting for him to finish, others it's hailed and blizzarded, and one memorable year it blew a gale - Louise and I sat in a coffee shop staring out at the driving rain while bins and shop signs hurtled past the windows. Last year the Gods Of Grizzly were kind and the weather was just about perfect for running. The low-key, minimal fuss, no razzmatazz of it suits me perfectly. Instead of bells and whistles, it's all about the running. And the T-Shirt at the end of course, which has over the years achieved a kind-of cult status among trail runners. My Grizzly hat is one of my most prized possessions :o)

Last week, I heard back from London that I hadn't got a marathon place. This was no biggy as I had no intention of running it in 2018 anyway. It would have been handy because I could have refunded my Edinburgh entry on the strength of it, but c'est la vie. Out of the two, the Grizz was the one I really wanted.

Just after lunch I checked my phone and an email pinged up saying: Grizzly Ballot Success. I'm in! Yay! And this time I'm going for the Full Grizzly Experience: 20 miles of cliffs, bogs, pebbles, rivers and general hard-core running. Training starts mid-December, something the new trail shoes above will doubtless come into their own for. The other set I was advised to get were clearly sold by a road runner; they weren't gore-tex so at the first sign of wet weather running they baptised my feet soundly. These new inov8's are gore-tex'd up to their eyeballs and should keep my feet nice and dry through a winter's worth of marathon training. And you've gotta love running shoes that are called Trail Talons. If I'm feeling tired all I'll need to do is channel the wild energy implied and it'll get me round.

Hope all are well?

CT.



26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting in. It's a good choice of footwear you have there. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping so! Although I'll probably wear my fell shoes for the race itself. x

      Delete
  2. Love the look of those trail talons. Yippee to getting into the grizzly, sounds like your sort of race. I’m plodding my way round the lanes at the moment trying to increase my distance. Maybe a 10 k next year....who knows :). B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! 10k is well within your reach. Good luck x

      Delete
  3. Those trail shoes look great; fantastic if they keep your feet dry. Congrats on getting a Grizzly place – you'll get the prized t-shirt :-) David entered the London Marathon ballot and so did a friend of ours - neither got a place. I haven't heard of anyone who did! Good luck with all the training. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone who's in to London either, apart from M who gets a good for age automatic entry and a friend who's just qualified for a championship place with a 1:15 hour half marathon time! Will David try a different marathon instead? Plenty of them about xx

      Delete
  4. Good for you....wouldn't want to do it personally but well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a similar conversation from the Spring! x

      Delete
  5. wahahahahahaha.... Trail Talons ! Does Poppy have her very own trail shoes ?
    Go for it , happy to read you got in.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ankle has stopped me running but we did walk up Ben Lawers today. We first did it 19 years ago and it made little impression as the top third was in cloud and it was not very difficult. Today it nearly killed us but the views were great. 1180 meters climbed, 10kms of distance and I am knackered. Getting older means you can do the same things but they do get tougher.

    Enjoy the running but look after your joints. We had a knackered Achilles two knackered crucifer ligaments (me) and three knackered post op cervical vetebrae (the boss) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the walking, I know you were keen to get up those Scottish hills.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I quite like the idea of crucifer ligaments!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! 20 miles is terribly impressive and very good training for a full marathon. Love both the shoes and the name! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reliably told by those who've done it that if I can get round the full Grizz a marathon won't present too many problems! We shall see xx

      Delete
  9. Oh hurray, how exciting! I'm so pleased for you, I know what a great race it is. Good luck with the training. I wonder what the weather will have in store for you all? CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dread to think! Too much to hope for two good years weather-wise in a row? xx

      Delete
  10. excellent news!! 20 miles, good heavens! but dry feet for the win - and yes, talons...very good juju there. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear they won't stay dry on the race- a bog and a river crossing will put paid to that. On the other hand, it should make for some good photos, with the excuse of needing to stop to take them, of course :o) xx

      Delete
    2. haha! i doubt the shoe has yet to be invented to remain impervious to a bog and a river crossing. you shall squelch merrily along! xo

      Delete
  11. Fantastic, something to look forward to. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm already super excited xx

      Delete
  12. Ooooh, shoe envy!!! They look super flash :-) Can't wait to see you at the start. Just need to sort our trail marathon for next year now ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On special offer at Amazon at the moment....

      It's going to be SUCH good fun next March. I can't wait either! The first km on the beach isn't the killer everyone says, although some of the hills are :o)

      New Forest Marathon? September 2018. M has run it, says it's a cracker. Multi-terrain. Should be exactly our kind of race. And in the mean time, I'm thinking Snowdonia Trail Half, after your incredible achievement with the full last year xx

      Delete
  13. So glad you managed to get into the Grizzly again. Was M successful too, didn't he give you his place last year? Running the streets of London would have been so different to your usual races. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x