Saturday, 29 July 2017

Return To Running


I
Related image

I returned to running today after a break of six days. I know this doesn't sound much but believe me, it's felt like years. I've been icing the knee three times a day, and doing the glute exercises religiously every evening before bed. I now have a special band to put round my legs and I have to walk backwards and forwards across the room pushing the knees out to get the glutes firing properly (with the band there as resistance). That's followed by five squats (so I look like a weight-lifter preparing to heft a heavy weight above my head), holding the sixth one for five seconds before repeating the sequence. This is in addition to the buttock-squeezing and leg-lifting exercises that afford my husband such hilarity.

Running is teaching me a great deal about how the body works; how a pain in your knee is really nothing to do with the joint at all and everything to do with weakness in the muscles that stabilise it. Possibly, this is why so many people give up running at the first sign of an injury. There is a perception that running is terribly bad for your joints but there is no research that I've read that supports this view. People tend to pick up injuries when they start running, run with ill-fitting shoes, or when they increase training because the muscles that support the increased leg movements are out of condition. 

I have learnt this week that runners tend to have very strong 'forward and back' muscles (quads and hams) but are generally week in the lateral ones (glute medians), which lift and twist the thigh, so that's where my corrective efforts are currently focused.

I was desperate to get back to running today. Under strict instructions from Steve (Physio) to push the knees a little but to stay within fairly slow pacing, I did a 28 minute Parkrun to test them. It was such a relief to feel no knee pain during the run and (perhaps more importantly)  none after it, and it was bliss to be back running. I am quietly hopeful that, given this good experience this morning, I may get the all-clear later this week to do the Bridport half at the weekend. If necessary I will walk down the hills :o)

Hope you're all well?

CT.


28 comments:

  1. So pleased you are back running, it must make you feel better...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the rigours of all those exercises you hopefully should be fit for the HM. Glad you did your 5K this morning. I'm having a week off getting ready for a family visit but will be egging you on next week. Take it easy and I'm sure all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hoping to be able to run it, but we'll see. Another test run today and then one on weds. Should know by then. Enjoy the family week xx

      Delete
  3. Perhaps you should post a video of you doing your exercises?! :O) The pizza/beer/running table makes for interesting reading. Fingers crossed for the HM. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A video would certainly give you all a giggle! The things we do for health! X

      Delete
  4. I'm so pleased to read you had a pain free run, your exercises sound too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not too bad once you get used to them :o).

      Delete
  5. It's fascinating how the body works isn't it. I'm glad you've got all the right exercises to do and that today's run went well. I hope it continues to improve and that you manage to do the half. The littlest boy and I like a slice or two of pizza. I'm not sure I get quite enough exercise though... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all that puppy chasing you're doing I'm sure you deserve a slice or two of pizza :o) x

      Delete
  6. It just shows how many calories pizzas have, all that running effort allows just a small snack. Good luck next week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Shocking! Although I think beer is quite heavy on the calorie front too :o).

      Delete
  7. Glad your run today went well. I'm sure it feels great to be back. Good luck with your HM, hope you get the all-clear. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good feeling to be running again. Keeping everything crossed for the HM x

      Delete
  8. Many runners have been there—lacing up for the first time after an exercise hiatus, praying to the gods of running that there is such a thing as ...
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy return to you!

    Being lazy I wear over the knee elasticated tights. Good to know I can have a beer this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just catching up on some blog posts. I'm glad your run went ok today and fingers crossed they continue to do so. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. I gave up running over ten years ago because of persistent knee pain. At the time the only professional advice I got was "stop running". Your post has made me wonder if I could run again as I really miss it. I walk a lot but it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth starting again with professionally fitted shoes and carefully following a couch to 5k programme or similar designed for a slow and managed introduction to running. Then, if you experience the knee problem again book a session with a Physio and see what they say.

      Delete
  12. Glad that your return went well! Just think you can soon be back on the pizza and beer - or your favourite equivalent soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It's one of the nice offshoots of running- not worrying about the odd pizza x

      Delete
  13. Fantastic news that you managed a wee trot without any problems! I have everything crossed for the weekend :-) SmallP xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge relief! Keeping fingers crossed. Today's run went well x

      Delete
  14. Hey CT,
    Good to hear that you're back running. Mine has faltered due to holidays and new job. But am hopeful to get one or two short runs a week. I am missing it. Feel out of condition already!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take long to start to feel unfit, but on the other hand, a couple of runs back in and you'll feel fab again! x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x