Saturday, 22 July 2017

Ireland & Various Other Things

England from the air

Passing over Pembrokeshire

Baltimore Castle, Cork

Baltimore, Cork

Drumbeg stone circle, Ireland

Western Cork, the view from our b&b

New Forest Sky at dusk

The Vyne, roof top repairs



Last week we popped over to Cork for a few days with all the children in tow. It's a quick hop in a plane from Southampton. We went boating, wild swimming, visited ancient stone circles and M and I did the local Parkrun (M won it!) which was great fun (and very hilly). We also went to Baltimore, which the children were fascinated by, having only heard of the US version. 

Baltimore castle has been renovated and the info boards told some chilling tales of the village's past. Notably the time a few hundred years ago when a Dutch sea captain sailed in to the harbour in the early hours with his band of Algerian pirates and ripped 130 of the villagers from their beds, taking them to Africa to sell as slaves. None ever returned. Babies and children were taken from their mothers and wives separated from their husbands. It was so awful I had to stop reading about it.

On a more positive note, we caught up with lots of M's Irish cousins, always a complete pleasure as they never stop laughing and you can't just drop in for a cup of tea without staying for hours. We ate delicious sea food and drank copious quantities of Murphys which always tastes better in Ireland. F decided he wanted to buy a bottle of whiskey to take home, despite having tried it in the pub the night before and not liking it very much so his dad had to finish it. Luckily our b&b was a short roll back down the hill. L managed to set off the security alert at the airport and had to have the buzzing thing swept all over him several times before receiving the all clear (his favourite bit of the trip, he later told me) and J managed not to fall out of the boat and into the sea while mackerel fishing, which is a first for her.

When we returned to England we were straight back into running-related goings-on. We had a picnic in the New Forest after marshalling our local Club RR10 race. Everyone brought food and beer and blankets and it was very jolly, and a welcome respite after cheering on several hundred club runners through 4 miles of forest tracks in the warmth of early evening.

M and I went over to the Vyne, a National Trust Tudor property near Basingstoke which is currently undergoing a £5.1 million roof restoration. They have cleverly incorporated the work into the visitor experience and it was fascinating. All the old Tudor roof tiles are coming off, the roof is being mended, archeologists are working on various aspects of recording building technique and materials, and the whole lot is then being replaced. I was enthralled. It's really worth a visit if you're nearby.

M has a race tomorrow but I am currently off games as my knee is still playing up. However, the excellent Physio Steve assures me all will be fine for the next HM which is coming up in a couple of weeks. I am blaming the fast downhill running at the RR10 I didn't enjoy last Wednesday. If I needed further proof that slower longer distances is my thing that was it. I have buttock exercises to do which make M fall about laughing but are aimed at strengthening the connection between glutes and brain so they do more work than the hams, and a couple of sessions of acupuncture and ultrasound, as well as thumb-of-death in the patella tendon, so something to look forward to. All very interesting and quite amusing at the same time :o)

Finally, a VERY BIG WELL DONE to B over at Coastal Ripples who this morning ran her first ever Parkrun over in Jersey and ABSOLUTELY BLASTED IT!!!!!!! She deserves a huge round of applause. I am very proud of her :o)

Hope you're all well?

CT.

33 comments:

  1. Hey CT,
    All well here. I'm in repose on the sofa, waiting for Marc to bring home pasties for tea. Olly is upstairs, Alf is in hibernation for the duration and Sam at work. So all is quiet, which is just how I like it. No run this week; too busy. Hopefully out tomorrow. Olly tried to convince me he saw a crab spider yesterday. In his room. The boy's obsessed!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a dear boy. I so wish I could furnish him with a crab spider :o) xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a brilliant holiday and I love that first photo taken from the plane - I'm terrified of heights, so can never look out when flying! The Vyne sounds well worth a visit and isn't too far from us - I might add it to our Summer Manifesto! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a slightly wobbly flyer myself, especially on the plane to cork which is small! X

      Delete
  3. Trying to work out which bit of Pembrokeshire that is! Love that someone else drinks Murphy's! Haven't had it for ages, but have to say it was my beverage of choice at one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so good for you too, full of minerals ;o).

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulously busy week. Cork is on our list of places to visit in Ireland one of these days. Loved the view from you B and B . Isn't it funny how children always upgrade something mundane into the best bit of their holiday :). Although I liked the whiskey story. Hope your exercises make an improvement without causing too much ribald laughter. Many thanks for the lovely mention. Certainly compulsive this running business. Have a restful weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing brilliantly with the running. It is compulsive I agree. Fed up with not being able to get out here this week! X

      Delete
  5. Ireland looks lovely, glad you had a good time. The thumb of death sounds excruciating, I hope all is well very soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland is a second home to me, I loved it long before I ever visited. Xx

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful trip, Ireland is somewhere I would really love to visit,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful country with lovely folk. X

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've had a great week. I haven't been to Ireland, really must fix that one day, I have been to the Vyne, which really is very interesting, isn't it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland is a special place for sure. And the vyne is fascinating especially at the moment x

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photo specially the airplane shots.
    I love the stone circle when I used to visit the UK many years ago I had to see as many as I could.
    Travel is not in my future but I always wanted to see Ireland.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stone circles are amazing places. And Ireland is too.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely way to spend a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love views taken from the air of any country. It is like seeing parts of the Atlas come to life. One of my favourite flights is from Durham Tees Valley airport to Amsterdam. It is just an hour but flying down the coast and over the Humber Estuary before going out over the North Sea is magic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Astronauts on the ISS once posted a photo of Earth on Twitter as they passed over the south coast of England saying they weren't exactly sure where it was but hazarding a guess. I reckoned it was of Southampton and the Isle of White (which was not what they were thinking) and I've always kicked myself for not saying. Imagine being able to give travel directions to astronauts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great time you had in Ireland! Congrats to M on the park run win. Hope that all will be well for your next HM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you and the family had a lovely time, nice to get away even if it's just for a few days. The view from your B&B at Western Cork is lovely.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- a few days away suits me perfectly x

      Delete
  14. Ouch!
    I'd never heard of "the thumb of death" until now, but I have a flesh coloured knee bandage I bought from a shop for the old and infirm. Tend to use it when I've overtrained a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M's word for those fierce massages into tight or sore muscles. Describes if perfectly!

      Delete
    2. I'll stick with my black roll. I've only to look at it and I'm cured ;)

      Delete
  15. Oooh super jealous! I love Ireland. Guinness or Murphys tastes fab out there. Have you tried it with a shot of port in it? Delish ;-) I must go and visit the Vyne; haven't been for years. Every year I vow that I'll get more from my membership but never quite manage it! Do hope the knee gets sorted. Your physio chap sounds a real find :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely tastes better in Ireland :o). Haven't tried it with port, will remember that for next time! Fed up with not running :o(. Hoping to get the all clear towards the end of the week. Thanks for email- huge congrats on Snowdon, really impressed. About to drop you a line... xx

      Delete
  16. We always love visiting Ireland and I have found Guiness too always tastes much better in Ireland. Glad you had no mishaps this holiday, hope your knee will get better before your run here. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful break! Ireland is certainly a blessed land - just gorgeous!
    Next time leave L in customs and save a few pennies! He can play under in and around detection machine and the rest of you go on hols!!!!
    Never visited The Vine but might well do at Xmas!
    Love ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x