Thursday, 15 June 2017

Half Marathon Hopes Hanging In The Balance

Image result for half marathon cartoons
I had a bad night's sleep last night. Most nights, I sleep like a log. Last night I woke up every couple of hours because the back of my throat had turned to sandpaper.

I clung hopefully to the idea it was a hangover from the very dry athletics track we raced on last night during the mile of miles event. My friend and ace endurance runner Sue ran before me and came back gasping for water, explaining that from the first 100m her mouth has gone so dry she could hardly swallow. I had exactly the same experience and oddly it got worse after drinking water so that for an hour after finishing I was coughing and losing my voice. It was a warm evening and maybe the athletics track gives off excessively dry air, which, coupled with running fast makes your lungs work harder than normal.

Anyway, it was great fun, the atmosphere was brilliant with everyone roaring everyone else on. There were lots of our friends there from other running clubs so we had plenty of jokes about consorting with the enemy and what kinds of tactics might be employed to win (subtle but effective use of elbows were suggested by my friend Neil who was running the same time slot as me but for a different club. He is trying to get his Parkrun PB to under 25 mins before he reaches 70 and the clock is ticking on that one. He's great, such an inspiration). Elder Statesman Derek was handing over to me so we had a brief practice of how that would happen. Thank God there were no batons involved as I haven't done a relay since I was a kid and I was petrified I would drop it. We had to touch hands instead so it was fine. 

In the end, our A team ran a storming collective time (M clocking an awe-inspiring 5:26 minute mile) but couldn't reach the top three placed clubs. Our B team was brilliant too. I managed to clock a 7:06 minute mile time, which I was pleased with, and came second in the team behind Trev who beat me by 7 seconds. I think I could have sneaked in under 7 minutes but for the last minute panic that I'd miss-counted the laps and thought I had another one to go so slowed down, only to hear buddy Peat yell from the sidelines "run to the finish!".

Unfortunately, it isn't a dry throat that I've woken up with this morning. It is a Full On Sore Throat. Arghhhhh! And the half marathon's only a couple of days away! Arghhhh! Poor L keeps apologising, as it's probably the offspring of his cold, but it's not his fault- it's just life. There's not a lot you can do.

I haven't entirely given up hope of being able to run, it all depends on how I'm feeling. I'm resting up and stuffing myself with echinacea, cranberries, green vegetables and chicken soup. I'm not quite at the whiskey stage yet and sadly can't do honey or lemons as neither like me. The worst-case scenario is missing this one and finding another to run in the next couple of weeks. Luckily, it's half marathon season and there are plenty around, unluckily, there aren't all that many interesting trail marathons and I'd much rather do that than a road one. Maybe I'll at least start it so I can say I gave it a go, and crumble back to the start if my body gives up on me!  Oh well, it's part of the joy of running to occasionally have to alter plans when things go awry.

I will keep you posted :o)

CT.




27 comments:

  1. Fun...that was fun?! Ah well each to our own!!! Get better quickly. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon and rest up! Go for the whisky! You will sleep like a log! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you. Have you tried gargling with soluble aspirin? I imagine running with a sore throat must be pretty grim; all that panting! Get well soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a brilliant idea! Thanks I'll try it. It's not the breathing so much as the strain of running an endurance distance when your body's sick. Hopefully it'll have shifted before x

      Delete
  4. My almost always sure fire cure is go to bed wearing thermals, with two hot water bottles, two paracetamol, and a hot whisky toddy and sweat it from your system. One night usually does the trick, but two kicks it flying into the stratosphere never to be seen again. Feel better soonest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been gargling paracetamol since VM kindly suggested it and the throat is a little easier. I'm also resting....not my idea of fun but I really don't want to miss the race. If it doesn't get any worse I'm hopeful. Thanks for the suggestions- gratefully received!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm going to take courage from you completing your half after injury and with a cough! Feeling a bit better but just lying on the sofa is very boring! X

      Delete
  6. Just run, you will be fine even if you have to go rather slower than you'd like. Shame to waste the entry fee, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it really depends on how yuk I'm feeling.

      Delete
  7. I hope you'll be OK after all your hard work and preparation. Hopefully a couple of good nights sleep will do the trick but don't run unless you feel up to it.
    I'll probably have nightmares now tonight just thinking about relay baton passing! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. Hope you didn't have nightmares!

      Delete
  8. It is never a good idea to run if you are 'under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a general rule of thumb with running- cold symptoms above the neck OK to run, symptoms below the neck best not to. I'll see how I feel on the day.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how frustrating, I do hope it passes in time. Gargling with salt water and then crunching up some raw garlic? My partner's sister got a stinking cold right before a mega trip to New York to run in the marathon there. Really disappointing. I'm sending you lots of good energy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite common to get a cold in the tapering down phase of training. Salt gurgling is a great tip, thanks CJ xx

      Delete
  10. Hope you feel better soon, it's difficult to tell how long it will last, fingers crossed it won't be long. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping only a couple of days but you're right it could be longer. Will just have to wait and see x

      Delete
  11. Don't forget to listen to your body. Good luck whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I'll get a sense in the morning and decide based on that.

      Delete
  12. Hoping you r feeling better by now. At least you have lots of options available. I'm willing you on. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt rubbish today! Still a few hours left in which to effect an impressive recovery! I haven't given up hope yet! Thanks, lovely x

      Delete
  13. I'm sending you an express ticket on the wellness train ! I do hope your recovery is impressive .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Willow. Thank you. I'm not giving up yet! Xx

      Delete
  14. Oh CT. I haven't been able to run for three weeks, and will try a tentative run tomorrow. I'm hopeful that you will kick this lurgy into touch and storm the half.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x