Thursday, 18 May 2017

Lymington 10k and Half Marathon Training


Last Sunday was the Lymington 10k in aid of the RNLI (lifeboats). It was a warm day and there were loads of people there, including a few that we knew. It was a lovely course, going through the lanes and out along the seawall and along the sea path around Keyhaven and the salt marshes before heading back into Lymington.

I've just bought a hydration vest so I can carry water with me and sip it when I run instead of having to stop at the water stations to pick up cups and try and glug the stuff down while running. It invariably ends up splashing everywhere and you either gulp the lot and end up with a stitch or you don't get enough and feel dehydrated. I took the new vest with me to try out and was amazed at the difference it made.

It has a bladder of water in the back accessible by a long tube that you drink through, so you can have as much or as little as you need, when you need it. It also has two pockets for bottles at the front. These are made of a soft material so as you drink, they reshape to your body making them more comfortable. I put electrolytes in those.

I decided to try it out at the race because I've only got two more competitions before the Half and I didn't want to be trying it out then. And I will need water on the Half. Ordinarily I wouldn't need water on a 6 mile run such as Sunday's, but it was a warm day and it is amazing how quickly you lose water and salts running even in mild temperatures. 

The upshot is that the vest was blooming fantastic and worth every penny. I wasn't aware I was wearing it: it did't rub, it wasn't heavy, it didn't move about, and having the ability to sip the water whenever I needed it revolutionised the run for me.

I put in a respectable time and more importantly felt I'd run the race well. Being overtaken by about a hundred runners over the first three miles can be demoralising, but I have learnt that  if I can hold my nerve and not get sucked into trying to keep up, and maintain a steady pace for the first four miles, I've then got plenty of energy left to pick up my pace from mile four and then I'm the one doing the overtaking. For me it's important to finish strong.

This morning, Pop and I went out for a 6 mile run round the lanes near home. Ted did the first three but complains about doing any more mileage on the lanes so we dropped him home, bribed with squid chews not to bark, and did the last three just the two of us. That went well. I am steadily upping my mileage week on week now in prep for the Half next month.

I also did an hours' yoga class this afternoon and have another 3 miles to run later as we're leaflet dropping round a local village for a race we're involved with organising, so I definitely feel I'm getting plenty of exercise at the moment!

With Parkrun on Saturday and another 10k race on Sunday, my weekly mileage for this week should end up being around 21 miles, which I think is about right at this stage of training.

Anyhoo, that's about it from here for now. Hope you're all well.

CT :o)

17 comments:

  1. I know totally what you mean about the water. It somehow frees you up if you carry your own. I have a spi-belt with two little bottles on it but could do with a vest. What make is yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the womens ultra vesta by ultimate direction. It's expensive and you need to buy the bladder separately but honestly it's been worth every penny. I've got their light weight waterproof running jacket too and can't speak highly enough of their designs. I got the vest from the ultra marathon running store. It's been designed by a woman and the fit is great. X

      Delete
    2. Oh you've made my day. I have been umming and aahing over that very one in that very store for ages!! Brilliant :-) xx

      Delete
    3. It's always nice to know someone who's got it first! Hope you have the same experience I've had. Wore it again this Sunday and again it was fab xx

      Delete
  2. Lymington sounds like a beautiful course and the weather glorious. Yay! for your new vest. It's great when something can make such a difference to your running. I managed to get out for a run on our local lanes again this week. Finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! It doesn't take long to start seeing an improvement x

      Delete
  3. Like the sound of your vest. There's no stopping you now, literally! Sounds like you are putting in lots of training too. I'm hoping to get back to some gentle running hopefully in the next few days, wrist allowing. It will be interesting to see how far I can run before I need a walk :). B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll soon pick up once you start back. It's amazing how quickly fitness returns after an absence x

      Delete
  4. Squid chews you say, YUM. Well done on another good race, and the vest sounds like an excellent idea. Dehydration affects almost everything doesn't it. It looks like it was a glorious day out there, glad the training is going well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been tempted to try them, yet - Ted would never forgive me! Xx

      Delete
  5. Well done! Those hydration vests are fab! The boys use them motobiking in the bush!
    Lymington is a beautiful place and your exercise regime exhausts me! Good on you!
    Yoga is my thing... simply love it!
    Keep on keeping on CT xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so useful! I'm enjoying yoga, but boy is it hard work! Still, I am more flexible than I was so it's working! Xx

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful day for a run and your new vest sounds like such a great design. Well done to you and your furry companions on the training. I hope Ted enjoyed his chews! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves the chews. One is never enough :o) xx

      Delete
  7. That sounds as if it worked well. I should think it's a bit heavy to start with with all the water sloshing about but you'll get a big boost at the end when you shed the weight. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not heavy which surprised me even with 2 ltrs of water xx

      Delete
  8. Like the idea of the vest, very "Dune".
    I am so picky about what I drink from I only use a special made canteen that doesn't leave a taste or I use a glass bottle.
    I think at Ted's age he has figured out run a-bit and the look sad so he can have a squid chew. Smart boy !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x