Friday, 5 May 2017

Half Marathon Training and Nests Galore


There's been a fair amount of Marathon Talk going on in our house this week. 

I'm two weeks into eight week Half marathon training and it's going well. Steady increase in distances at a slower pace and so far, so good. Running four times a week with three rest days. Yoga every day. Core stability work that's improved my balance which is useful when you're running over lumpy, bumpy, hilly woods and fields. Belly breathing - all good stuff. I feel focused and determined and (as important) I'm loving doing it.

One unexpected benefit of the training is I've gone off fatty, sugary foods. It's fruit and vegetables all the way here. I feel well on it and my energy levels are coping with the extra miles so it's obviously doing me some good. There must be a chemical change connected with running longer distances. I've wanted to back off sugar for years and now, suddenly, it's easy. I guess your system tells you what type of fuel it needs.

Outside in the garden, there are nests full of baby great tits, blue tits, goldfinches, robins, sparrows, starlings, stock doves, pigeons, woodpeckers, nuthatches, coal tits, chaffinches and tree creepers. I know where about half of them are. The coconut halves filled with suet last barely half a day. There are tree bees nesting in a hole in the wall of the house and we've more orange tip fellas flying about than you could shake a stick at. Haven't seen any ladies yet though, which is a worry. More bees are nesting in the chimney pot, the one next to the one the Jackdaws claim each year as their own, and our pipistrelle bat gentlemen continue to do well in the hole under the roof.

The weather has followed a pattern all week- chilly morning, warm afternoon. I'm after putting my sweet peas, honeywort and nigella seedlings out this weekend. Poppy will be disappointed as she uses the empty sweet pea pot to stand in and peer over the fence at the neighbours.

Anyway, that's it from here for now. Hope you're all well?

CT :o)










22 comments:

  1. It sounds like your training is going perfectly. It's funny you should mention your eating habits changing. We were just discussing that this morning. Himself went out for a bike ride with some mates last night and they all (the mates) go to the pub afterwards and knock back a few pints. You would think they would opt for a healthier choice. The more exercise you do it usually happens naturally as you have discovered. Although, I'm still trying to get over my sugar habit. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I think beer is probably the least bad alcoholic option- it's good at replacing vitamins and minerals. We do submit to the odd post-race pint now and then :o). Xx

      Delete
    2. Mexican indians who ultra run everywhere using bits of old tyres for sandals like to drink wheat beer, and lots of it!

      It's the 4th Wings for Life World Run tomorrow and I've just collected my start number. Appx 14,000 runners in our local race. I think we'll all be wearing luminous yellow t-shirt. Hope it doesn't rain. But sadly this time it might.

      Toi! Toi! Toi!

      Delete
    3. Hooray! Good luck. I shall be willing you on, rain or no rain!

      Delete
    4. Thanks very much! It's on Red Bull TV (internet). They have 25 split screens. Colin Jackson is the adjudicator. The British race is usually at Silverstone and starts 12 noon your time, as all the races do. The winner will have to run for 5 or 6 hours. Last year it was an Italian in Milan who did 88 kms. I think a Japanese lady won the women's race running in the dark.
      The morning here is surprisingly bright. Hopefully Vienna being in the east we'll escape the worst of the rain. It is already raining in the west, Innsbruck area.

      Delete
    5. I've decided to wear a red t-shirt to stand out for those at home on TV.

      Delete
  2. I'm fed up of the cold mornings, with the eastern wind blowing straight in my face as I try and ride to work. Runningwise I did 120km in the two weeks I had off work, which isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cold running here yesterday too. That wind is cold! 120k is great- well done you.

      Delete
  3. Poppy, Poppy, Poppy what will you do now ? your nice tall person who runs is being mean to you !
    Or weather will be 101 today sorta HOT !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could steer clear of the white mans poison...but at the moment it's sweet cravings all the way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get you like that, can't it?

      Delete
  5. How exciting with all the nests, I am chuffed with our baby great tits x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the healthy eating and all of the good training. I haven't eaten sugar since the beginning of Lent and I feel so much better for it. Don't miss it most of the time either. Once I get in the habit of something it's fairly painless. It sounds as though you have fantastic wildlife all around. We're enjoying watching the great tits busily feeding their chicks. I shall miss them when they go. My sweet peas went out a bit early I think. They haven't been happy in the cold weather. I bought a couple of pots of seedlings to restock. Hope you have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've spurred me on with the no sugar thing. I remember you giving it up for lent. X

      Delete
  7. Your bowls of fruit and veg look yummy! Today I finished my Easter egg from R, so am hoping to cut down on sugar for a bit. Then again, I'm decorating the kitchen and that biscuit barrel is far too easy to reach when I feel like a little smackerel of something to go with my mug of tea, and I wouldn't want to get all light headed whilst up those stepladders! Well done on the training. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a place for a small amount of sugar now and then :o) x

      Delete
  8. we're having your weather -- which is to say, raining incessantly. everything is very green, though!

    i'm so inspired by your healthy eating -- i was doing well for a while (fruit and veg definitely elevate the energy levels and feel-good levels!) but then Easter happened and i may have eaten some chocolate. :\. So now i have to detox again and start Being Good.

    it's a hive of activity in these parts as well -- we had a sudden influx of sparrows this afternoon, which we normally don't see. perhaps the rain blew them in...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Mel I'm glad you visited- I'm having problems commenting on your blog. Any ideas? It keeps asking me to register/ log on x

      Delete
  9. Sounds like your half marathon training is having great benefits. Back home to a continuous rainy day, but it's glorious seeing the garden look so lush thanks to the rain and the water butts are filling up fast thank goodness. B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't forget to eat some fat though, you neeeed it. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x