Sunday, 9 April 2017

Salisbury Ten Mile Road Race


Here is this morning's offering- ten miles along the roads and lanes around Salisbury. It was Hard Work. Probably because it was so hot (about 20 degrees by the end). There were 850 competitors and several dropped out over the first five miles, some with injuries, some with heavy legs. The rest of us carried on, exclaiming to one another every now and then how Very Hot Indeed it was. 

The water stations (at miles 2, 5 and 8) have never been more welcome. I drank/ chucked water over myself at each opportunity and was very grateful to have it. The marshals as always at these events did a marvellous job of keeping everyone's spirits up with encouraging words and my fellow racers were a generous bunch too- everyone encouraged everyone else, checked up on everyone and cheered when you did well.

The route was beautiful- the lanes around Salisbury run through beautiful countryside and the final two miles have fabulous views of the Cathedral, so it really was a pleasure to be there.

I met a couple of friends en route and ran beside them for a bit. One I last saw at the start of the Grizzly and is doing the London Marathon in a fortnight, so was taking today relatively easy, another (a daughter of a friend of mine) was running her first ten mile race today and she ran it brilliantly, including up both the hills (which I walked most of the way up). She finished a little ahead of me and I was very proud of her.

I took it steady most of the way and felt reasonably strong at around 8 miles so pushed on down the hill overtaking quite a few runners which is always nice, BUT, by mile 9 I was really starting to feel it and had to pull hard on my sternest 'keeping going' reserves not to walk anymore. By the point my GPS told me I had a kilometre left I was more than ready to finish. 

I knew it wasn't far but goodness I felt every footstep of that final K. At last I turned a corner, saw M and the finish and steeled myself to run the last bit round the athletics track to the finish. From somewhere I summoned the energy to sprint the final hundred metres or so and crossed the line in around one hour thirty, fifteen minutes faster than I thought I might have been, so even though my bum and legs were telling me for heaven's sake stop! I was really chuffed with the result.

We have all the children, aunts, uncles and grandparents here this afternoon as F has turned 18, so when we got home I cooked up a huge meal and pudding for everyone and now I am about ready to fall asleep, only I can't because we're all off down the pub to celebrate F's 18th! I shall keep going till 8pm then that'll be it :o)

Hope you've all had a good weekend?

CT :o)



29 comments:

  1. Congratulations, 10 miles today was hard work, glad you enjoyed the route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was hard work but very enjoyable :o)

      Delete
  2. Hey CT,
    Bravo, bravo, bravo! Another medal to add to your growing collection! I must admit I'm looking forward to receiving my first race medal. You'll be pleased to hear that my run this morning didn't throw up any hamstring niggles, so I'm going to stretch it out further on Tuesday. All in all the weekend has been pretty marvellous; Sam is home, yesterday was spent on the beach enjoying near perfect conditions, my seeds are germinating and romping away, I have bought some great plants for my wild flower area and scored some beautiful Delphs from a lovely friend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news about the hamstring. Take it easy though building up again won't you? You'll love getting your first medal (and t shirt?). It's such a sense of achievement. Glad you've had a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations all round, to you on a gruelling 10k and to F for the 18th. Another big milestone. I only ran for 25 minutes in the heat this morning and that was enough. Not sure how you kept going, but I can imagine the beauty of those lanes. Enjoy the celebrations, I expect you will sleep very well tonight :). B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 25 mins in yesterday I was feeling it too so you did well to get that run in. Next stop here is an eight mile hilly run... you must be getting close to a parkrun? Xx

      Delete
  4. That's absolutely brilliant, well done you. I can imagine how hard it was. The biggest boy played football this morning and I found it quite hard work standing in the sunshine watching.:) A very happy birthday to F, I hope you all have a lovely family day together (and that you're still awake). Sounds like a really brilliant day. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Managed to stay awake till bed time then slept like a log all night ;o). No aches and pains today so that's good. Hope you didn't get sunburnt? Xx

      Delete
  5. Absolutely brilliant! I was hot enough doing a bit of gardening today, never mind running! Happy Birthday to F; what a lovely day for a birthday. Enjoy a good night's sleep tonight. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it was a tad warm for running but all good fun :o). Lovely birthday gathering too, thanks xx

      Delete
  6. What a great weekend for you. Many congratulations on your race, a fantastic achievement. Congratulations also to F! It has been a lovely sunny weekend here, little bits of lovely, running, walking sewing ect! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey. I need to get my sewing machine out and do some pottering! Xx

      Delete
  7. Excellent effort! Still annoyed with my sore leg preventing all but the gentles ambles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How frustrating. Worth a trip to the Physio now?

      Delete
  8. Fantastic. It was rather hot, beautiful though, just right for your celebrations. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a gorgeous day. A little hot for running but lovely for a birthday xx

      Delete
  9. Congratulations again!!! You are doing so well with your running, it is very inspiring to see someone achieving such great things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huge congratulations! You did brilliantly. Your family must be proud. Celebrations all round with F's 18th too, although I think I would have fallen asleep. What's going to be your next challenge? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It was a tough race because of the heat more than anything I think, but a good one. Next challenge is 8 miles across some cliffs with a six mile bike ride thrown in for good measure. I may sleep the day away afterwards! x

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, you have done so well..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. It's a fine looking medal and well deserved.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x