Thursday, 2 March 2017

What To Wear?


Homemade Liberty Running Kit Bag (see below- I am Currently Clothes Preoccupied)


The dogs and I went for a 5k run round the fields first this morning in the wind and mud :o) I was slow and it was a tad heavy going because of the state of the ground and the wind nearly blowing me off my feet, but The Knees were fine. I heard a Yellowhammer singing. First one this year. All these Heralds Of Spring, eh?

I'm dithering about what to wear for the Cub. M rolls his eyes at this. His standard kit for all runs, regardless of time of year, weather and duration is shorts and a t-shirt. He may (occasionally) make a brief nod to extremely inclement weather by putting on a long sleeved tee or a light-weight waterproof, but I can't remember him ever not running in shorts. 

I don't like being too warm when I run. I'd rather be a fraction too cold than too hot. So I'm thinking shorts and a tee and take a waterproof to tie round my waist. BUT, I've known the weather for the Grizzly/ Cub to be horrendous. And I mean horrendous. One year we had biting hail, another, friend Louise and I sat in a cafe waiting for our men to finish the run watching bins throwing themselves down the street and signs, uprooted from outside shops, tearing past the window. The year after that it poured with rain the entire time, and another time, Lynne and I sat on the sea wall with the kids sunbathing. 

Hmm. 

And then there's the question of footwear: Trail shoes or Fells? It all depends on how wet it's been. There is some roadwork but most of it is off road. I'll take both and decide when I get there.

I'm expecting to be out running 1.5-2 hours, depending on the conditions. If it was 45 mins I wouldn't trouble myself worrying about getting the kit right, I'd go in minimal stuff and put up with it if I got wet and cold, but running for 2 hours is different. Friend Peat (experienced ultra-runner) once came as close as you'd want to be to hyperthermia running a Half Marathon in bad weather. I saw him a few minutes after he'd finished and he really didn't look good, so this isn't an idle preoccupation. The Grizzly website is also very blunt and no-nonsense about the need to respect the terrain and the weather and to come prepared for everything the exposed coast in early March can chuck at you. The last thing they need is to be pulling idiots who've not trained enough or got the right kit on off the hills. Given that this will be my first experience of the Cub I want to take it seriously.

So what do you all think? What would you wear for a nine mile, fairly tough course in the south of the UK in early March?

I've nearly got the all-clear from the Physio. Yesterday's session of Thumb Of Death in the tendons was only very slightly painful- a big improvement from a fortnight ago when I was climbing the walls sweating at how much it hurt to have a thumb stuck in it. The acupuncture needles only produced a mild grumble and The Knees themselves barely ached after the treatment. I can now do yoga on my knees, which I couldn't two weeks ago. I had no trouble from The Knees after Sunday's 10k either. There was no pain at all afterwards, and I'm fine after this morning's run too and I'm no longer wearing the patella bands during the day, so I think they're healing up. I've got a 5 mile race this weekend while M does a Half Marathon, then I'm planning one more 5k mid-week before resting up Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then it's race day on Sunday. Cautiously, I think we're on for The Cub!

Just the question of what to wear remaining...... (how very female of me).

Hope you're all well?

CT x


35 comments:

  1. Take everything you've got and decide when you're there. See what the locals are wearing, the ones who've been there, done it, got the t-shirt ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good advice, I'll bung everything in the car.

      Delete
  2. Don't forget your whistle. 6 blasts for help!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A flare might be more useful ๐Ÿ˜†

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'd go with take everything and decide on the spur of the moment! But I think if it looks a little inclement I'd go 3/4 length leggings, light-weight top you can tie round your waist with a vest top over the top. If the worst comes to the worst you can always wrap the tee and the long sleeved round your waist and run in your sports bra!! I always work on the fact that you're with runners who will totally understand and hell, you'll never see them again anyway :-) SmallP xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3/4 leggings is a good thought. I'm wondering about vest top and waterproof. I did giggle at the bra. Runners wouldn't mind, but I might upset the hundreds of spectators ๐Ÿ˜‰ X

      Delete
  4. It's a tricky one and I agree there is nothing worse than feeling too hot. Check out the weather the day before for predicted temperature and hopefully decide then. So glad that your treatment has worked so well and great that you had no after effects from the 10k. My c25k app told me off today as I've been too idle recently. Walking an average of 15,000 steps this week is idle! Sadly no jogging but now I'm home will get back too it, hopefully tomorrow. Keep up the good work, not long now :). B xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a running update from you in due course. Weather this weekend is awful- rain, rain and more rain. Still, it'll be good practice! X

      Delete
  5. i hate being too hot - i'd also rather be cold. then again, neither of the -thermias is at all good for you.

    so, i'm no help and agree with the Take Everything camp.

    glad The Knees are holding up well!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take everything it is. Hope all's ok with you, chick xx

      Delete
  6. Layers, daarrlink, layers! T-shirt, long sleeved, then top layer. As everyone else says, take everything then decide at last minute. Good luck! Enjoy it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Sam- I shall hear those words on the course and smile to myself ๐Ÿƒ‍♀️๐Ÿƒ‍♀️ XX

      Delete
  7. Hey CT,
    The only advice I can offer is pack everything, and see what the majority of others are wearing. I never arrive at my destination under packed. You never know what you may need....
    The very Best Of British!!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people seem to overdress for races, either that or I warm up faster! I shall pack for all eventualities xx

      Delete
  8. Leggings, t-shirt, waterproof round your waist and superhero cloak flowing out behind you. So glad everything is on track. Countdown is on! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super hero cloak. Am snorting with laughter! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ xx

      Delete
  9. Do I remember you saying the Cub is in Devon? If today is anything to go by, take everything and wear everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Starts at Seaton. I shall be beady eyed to the forecast from Wednesday! X

      Delete
  10. My top tip: if you go for a long-sleeved top make sure it is one that you can roll the sleeves up on. I have one that is really tight on the sleeves and it is NOT my fave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip, thanks. Will scrutinise all the tops for tight sleeves now ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ‘ x

      Delete
  11. As the race is held in the hometown of one of my sisters and she and her husband used to Marshall for the grizzly I'd skip the race and sit in her conservatory instead with a large pot of tea! Seriously though have a good race...rather you than me!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she could have a pot of tea waiting for me at about 12.30? ๐Ÿ˜† X

      Delete
  12. The weather could do anything at the moment. Pity you can't have someone dashing along beside you carrying everything just in case. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! M isn't running this year as I have his ticket so I'll suggest it to him ๐Ÿ˜† Xx

      Delete
  13. Love the Liberty kit bag! I can overheat at the drop of a hat (must be my age!), so I think I'd tend towards a T and something to tie round the waist. Could you perhaps train Ted as a pack dog to carry your stuff?! Just as I was getting back into the running post cold, I managed to tear something in my left calf at the gym this week. At least I presume that's what I've done, there was a sudden pain and I've been hobbling a bit ever since. Maybe it's nature's way of telling me to stick to swimming and yoga! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted would be thrilled at the thought! Now, Pop though, that's a different matter...
      Oh no, poor you with the muscle. Don't take it as a sign to stop. See it as a test of how determined you are to keep at it. You did so well Nov/ Dec time. Xx

      Delete
  14. I think you should wear a bit of anemone pink so you can be easily spotted. Is your anemone flowering now? They are such amazingly resilient flowers - a bit like you I think. Lots of good advice on running gear - I'm sure you will make the right decision on the day. Good luck with this week's training and the race itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be a gorgeous colour? It is flowering now, and a midnight blue one about to join it. Thank you for the vote of confidence xx

      Delete
  15. Oh, I respect so much people able to do that!

    Here it's snowing - and I think to spend my Saturday evening with Scott, Bailey and Vera Stanhope. :)

    Wishing you the best of luck for the race. I hope you will be happy and satisfied with the result.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I approve of your Saturday evening company :o)

      Thanks for the good luck wishes- much appreciated xx

      Delete
  16. I have no advice just remember we are all willing you along brave Lady! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no advice, other than the traditional thing of lots of layers, but this might not be the right thing for running. Delighted to see your kit bag though, that is just the sort of thing that I am thinking of making myself to hold my phone and water bottle etc when I go on my walks with my new walking group. So delighted to see that I am not the only sort to carry such a bag or think a handcrafted floral fabric one is a good idea. Today I will just be stuffing my pockets with stuff, but perhaps next week....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x