Sunday, 5 March 2017

Last Race Before The Cub


We headed off to Berkhamsted this morning (get up 6.15, set off 7am, brief detour to take into account the M3-M25 slip road being closed, arrive 9am, warm up, then run the HM at 10 (M and my sister-in-law) and the 5M at 10.30 (me and my niece).

It was pouring when we woke up, pouring when we left and pouring when we arrived. Cue more dithering from me about what to wear (this is becoming a habit, no?). In the end it proved a useful trial run for the Cub, in that I went for 3/4 length leggings (good call, Small P), t-shirt and tied a water resistant/ wind proof jacket round my waist because, having jogged the mile to the start through drizzle and sharpish wind, as my niece and I waited at the start of the 5mile the skies cleared, the sun came out and it became decidedly warm. Good Old England, she knows how to throw several different types of weather at you over the course of a single hour in March :o).

I ran a fast-ish Parkrun yesterday so was planning on taking it easy on the 5m, bearing in mind the need to exercise a little caution Knee-Wise still. It was a nice course winding along roads and lanes through the woods and countryside around Berko and it finished by going past the ruined castle, possibly the most romantic setting for a race finish I've yet come across.

It was mostly flat but with one steepish hill lying in wait giggling behind a bend in the road at around 2miles. This hill pretended to be Quite An Innocent Hill, assuring us several times that it levelled out just round the next bend, when in fact it went on for about a mile and contained some reasonably steep bits. It claimed casualties, but luckily through grim determination and literal teeth-gritting, I was not among them. It did take it out of me a bit though. My time slowed from 5.20 mins per km to 6.10. But my breath came back reasonably quickly once it was behind us and, (I kept telling myself), it was good practice for the cliffs that lie in wait next Sunday. More good Headology stuff too when I was running past people who'd run out of steam and were walking.

One thing that always surprises me on these races is how well the kids do at them. I was overtaken at several stages by little chaps who can't have been more than ten or eleven zooming along with their Dads. Good Effort, eh? 

The final mile was all downhill and I decided to give The Knees a bit more of a test by stepping up the pace from 5.20 to 4.20 mins per km. The Knees held up well and I finished strongly, sprinting to the finish line (although less adroitly than last week's 10k, which I put down to having run a fast 3miles yesterday. Although looking at my average km times later I was faster overall than last week). The finish time took 3mins of my previous 5m best, so I was pleased. My niece knocked a couple of minutes of her previous best, M finished his HM in a good time and my sis in law finished hers well too, so everyone had a good run. All in all a lovely race (and a well-earnt burger and chips and chocolate fudge cake with cream in the pub afterwards) and a good prep for The Cub next Sunday.

Thank You All for all your advice, support and encouragement over these last couple of weeks- it does make a difference and I hear various of your words in my head at different times when I'm running which spur me on. You're a Great Bunch! I feel you'll all be running The Cub with me next weekend, which will be useful if I get blown off a cliff or my legs stop working altogether :o)

Hope you've all had a good weekend?

Seven Days to go.....Not that I'm getting nervous or anything.....

CT :o)








25 comments:

  1. Well done. I hope that the Cub goes well for you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your medals are stacking up. Doing well. I agree English weather likes us amused in March. Not doubt you will have four seasons next week. Definitely will need good footwear for next weeks cliffs. Almost there, and then the next new target ;). I'm starting week 5 of c25k on Tuesday. The pressure looks like it's building. Have a good week training. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on reaching week 5. I'm really impressed at how you've kept plugging away at it. You'll be running 5k before you know it. Footwear sorted for next week 👍. X

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, well done you. I am excited for next weekend for you. Hope you have a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ. I'm interested to see how next weekend goes. It'll be a challenge for sure. Hopefully a good one x

      Delete
  4. He he...it's not called the Grizzly for nothing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very unpredictable weather at the moment isn't it! Well done on your runs - I'm sure that you'll smash The Cub next weekend. I'm still hobbling and am very wary about doing any sort of exercise at the moment, although I might try a swim tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for fine weather for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like April weather- sunshine and showers. So sorry to hear you're still hobbling. That must be frustrating. Hopefully a swim will help. Am keeping a steady head for next weekend. Looking forward to it x

      Delete
  6. A race the week before the target race, not sure I'd go with that tactic. Hopefully you'll have a good recovery and be on top form on the big day. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all part of the training strategy 😉. Weather (at present) looking better for next weekend.

      Delete
  7. Good grief CT, don't get blown off a cliff!! Perhaps you need to add a crinoline to your running gear? That way you'd float down to earth a la Mary Poppins.
    Running in strong winds and rain all last week. Hard work up the hills. I huff and puff and eff and Jeff all the way. I always enjoy the downhill, although doesn't everyone? My small boy ran up Porthmeor Hill (very steep) yesterday, as if it just wasn't there. The energy and lungs of youth. Oh to have that back again!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crinoline....snort 😂. Now, there's an image 😆. Go, girl! In all that bad weather too up and down those lovely Cornish Hills. And well done to your youngest for running all the way up a big hill! He'll be training with you before you know it xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like another good weekend of running for you! I survived my first half marathon, despite nearly 2 weeks of cold-and-cough-enforced inactivity leading up to it. I was still coughing a lot on Saturday night and thought I might not be able to run, but run I did and got round in one piece. A slow 2 hours 48 min, but it's a time I can definitely aim to improve on! Looking forward to reading about your Cub experience, I bet you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Well done! I'm so glad you let me know- have been wondering how it went. Given you've been poorly for a fortnight and we're still coughing the night before, doing 13.1 miles at all, let alone in under three hours is pretty damn good going I say. Congratulations! X

      Delete
    2. Were, not we're (wretched auto correct) 😊

      Delete
  9. heartiest best wishes for your health and for your run dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done once again and good luck with the Cub. Just think of the treat at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One week to go! You write so well CT, we all virtually run along with you. You have done so well with the training, you are going to have a great Cub! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna. Keeping fingers crossed it all goes to plan (i.e. I don't disgrace myself by not finishing!) xx

      Delete
  12. Like Shauna above writes, I too feel we are running along when reading your account. I feel short of breath now... :)
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x