Thursday, 2 February 2017

Training Resumes




I got up this morning, looked outside at the pouring rain, the heavy, grey clouds, the torrent of water sluicing down the middle of the lane turning it into a small river, the standing pools of water that had collected in the garden overnight and my first thought was: excellent, the cold feeling has gone, I can go out for a run!

There is nothing like an upcoming competition only five and a half weeks away to focus the mind. I did a steady three miles this morning, as a nod to the recent cold bug, and it went well. No complaints from lungs, no heavy, tired limbs, quite happy in fact splashing through puddles and sliding across soggy fields with two wet and muddy dogs. It rained the whole way round but at ten degrees it was quite warm and perfectly fine t-shirt weather. I can't stand feeling too warm when I'm running and any discomfort experienced in the first five minutes soon goes once you've warmed up. It's worth putting up with a little unpleasantness at the start to be the right temperature for the bulk of the training. 

I kept both dogs on leads once we got into the fields because Pop has rolled in FP twice this week already (yesterday I put my finger in it, thinking she'd got a blob of mud on her collar- absolutely disgusting) and I couldn't face another stinky dog day. Ted is definitely more of a fair weather runner and hung back slightly to make the point he wasn't wholly chuffed at being out running in a storm, but Pop runs gamely on whatever conditions you throw at her. We sunk into some sandy mud at one point. Bearing in mind her little legs are only a few inches long this had much more of an immediate impact on her than either me or Ted, and yet she just shook herself vigorously afterwards and carried on regardless. Pop's attitude to life is a real tonic. 

Once we got back out onto the lanes I smiled at a car who kindly stopped beside an enormous lake of water that had gathered right across the tarmac, clearly worried about not splashing us. By that point though we were wet through and my legs looked like I'd been through a bog so there seemed little point in being ladylike about it- we ran through the middle of the lake (added bonus of washing my trail shoes clean) causing the man in the car to stare at me with what I translated in my head as admiration but was probably horror. A little later on I glared at a woman in a very expensive-looking sleek sports car who nearly ran us over, so intent was she on not scratching her paintwork by pulling over nearer the hedge to give us room not to be squashed.

By the time we got home half an hour later we were all cheerfully muddy and dripping with rain. After I'd refilled the bird feeders (startling the male Great Spotted Woody who was nibbling peanuts and is allergic to anyone even glancing at him), and stretched out in the garden (watched from indoors by two solemn-looking doggies), I decided to give both the dogs a warm shampoo in the bath. Ted submitted with a sigh while Pop (who went second) legged it when she saw me coming and dived under the table. I retrieved her (much to her annoyance) and she stood in the bath shivering and throwing reproachful glances at me from under dripping eyebrows as the water ran brown with silt and mud. Drying Poppy with a towel after a bath is like rubbing down a recalcitrant, slippery child. I managed about four seconds before she slipped out of my grasp and took off down the stairs at break-neck speed. She took the final four steps in one great impossible flying leap, skidded to a halt at the bottom, and then, knowing I couldn't reach her, shook herself all over the walls. Sigh. I had a nice warm shower. There is nothing like a hot shower after a cold, wet run (even if the dogs don't appreciate it).

I do have an ache on the inside of my left knee when I run at the moment, which is a nuisance, but I'm on it, having some treatment and working on strengthening the muscles in that area and my balance, which my sports therapist tells me often impacts on knees. I sometimes get headaches after I've run too, I think from neck and shoulder muscles tightening, so next week I'll get some treatment for that too. You just have to be sensible about maintenance with these things. I want to run so I do all the necessary looking after to enable that.

It's All Good Stuff.

Hope you're all having a Good Day, wherever you are and whatever you're doing.

Happy Days, eh?!

CT :o)

26 comments:

  1. Well it was slightly windy when I went for my jog/ walk this morning and I thought I was doing well. You certainly put me to shame. Sounds like your training is off to a good start even if your dogs aren't too happy with their bath;) Think of me on Saturday as I finally start on week 3 of cto5k. Will post about my journey so far very soon. Enjoy the rest of your day. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it comes of growing up with ponies at home- you have to go out in all weathers to care for them. I'm just used to it. I can't wait to hear how your training is going. Will look forward to the post and good luck with week 3 xx

      Delete
  2. Well done you, glad you're back out there. You would think the dogs would love a nice warm bath wouldn't you. I think a dog like Poppy would suit us very well here. I am looking for something that doesn't show the mud too much so have reluctantly ruled out anything in white. In fact that goes for pretty much everything around here. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, she still smells ripe even when she's not showing the mud ;o) xx

      Delete
  3. As usual I take my hat off to you! My first thought today was Thank goodness it is not a run day. It is blowing a grey gale here. We did do a very very muddy hike over the fields though. So glad to get back home. Are you excited about the Cub? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about it it's ridiculous, given what a tough race it will be :o) xx

      Delete
  4. Bless the woodpecker who's allergic to being looked at...all birds are allergic to my camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to jump through hoops to get his picture ;o).

      Delete
  5. I'm sure it must have been admiration on that man's face as you ploughed through the lake - you go girl! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post, CT!
    I must say I'm slightly puzzled. Raining the whole way round, the temperature is ten degrees and you feel perfect wearing a t-shirt? How brave is that! Blimey, you could be appointed Honorary Finn. :)
    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably all relative :o). I've been used to freezing fog temps here recently and running in long sleeves so ten degrees and raining felt positively warm by comparison! X

      Delete
  7. The way you write about your runs ALMOST makes it sound fun. But I also think you have to have the two great running gud dugs and where you live to make it fun.
    I can't walk my "runs" any more but I do understand when you have been out and wet how good a nice warm shower can be.
    Poppy is a hoot but I still adore Ted.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun :o). Going out with my doggy pals does make it though, you're quite right x

      Delete
  8. You do make running in the rain and mud sound like fun..! Have you thought of submitting one of your blog pieces to Runners' World or another magazine? You write so well about running they'd be bonkers not to give you a regular slot. Pop and Ted are adorable and sound like perfect running companions (FP notwithstanding). Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, I'll have a think about the mags. Very kind of you to suggest it.
      I'm going to give Agnes' address to L's school and A Level college. I'm sure they'll be interested x

      Delete
  9. It's true what you say about being overdressed. Do it and after 10 minutes you wonder why you're sweating!
    Read once that 14 C is the best temperature for optimal running performance. I'm going to do my 3 miles now. Snow and slush. Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon 5-6 degrees for short sleeves and any higher for vest tops. I've read similar about optimum temps. The weather makes a big difference too. Tomorrow is forecast high wind and rain and it's Parkrun! Hope you enjoyed your run today. The Gower would be a great place to do a race.

      Delete
  10. Lovely to read... keep going..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. i absolutely get this, it sounds like perfectly brilliant conditions for a run. one of my favourite cross-country races from days gone by was in the teeming rain, sliding up hills and slithering down again, hanging onto convenient trees for support, then through a knee-deep 'puddle'...ah, good times :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the outdoor girl mentality, eh my friend 😉 X

      Delete
  12. Glad it went well! I have a good foot and a bad one right now, so I totally get the knee thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hope the poorly foot gets better soon xx

      Delete
  13. Gosh CT I'm reliving mud lane - our school cross country course as I was reading! I can just imagine the mud clogged onto your runners! A few inches taller before you washed them in the puddle!
    Your knee and shoulders would benefit from a warm up with 20 mins of yoga! Does a great job at strengthening all areas!
    Enjoy... any signs of Spring!
    Btw we hope to be over at Xmas!
    Love to all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories of school cross countries 😁 I didn't enjoy mine then at all- funny how we change. Good idea re yoga. I do do a warm up but not specifically yoga. Will incorporate it, thanks. Brill re Christmas- will see you then!! 👏👏 xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x