Saturday, 18 February 2017

Tendonitis 0, Parkrun 1


Just a quick update, as you were all so lovely about my knee problems yesterday. Parkrun went really positively this morning. My Physio had told me as long as the pain remained about 3-4 on a scale of 10 I was good to keep running. Any higher would have meant a fortnight off training. As it was, it stayed at about 1-2 most of the way round which was far better than he or I had expected, and disappeared completely after the run. 

I ran with patella bands on, goodness those things are amazing! They support the patella, the tendon below it and the muscles above, so lift all the pressure away. I'm wearing them constantly for a week and so far so very good. As a small aside, I learnt an interesting knee fact during my physio session yesterday. Many people associate running with bad knees and blame the increased force passing through the knee. Your knee experiences twice the force of walking going through it when you run, but it has evolved to cope with five times the force of walking, so running alone is not what causes bad knees. The culprit is usually upping distance and/ or speed too quickly and not giving your body sufficient time to rest, recover and adapt between sessions. I think my problem has been upping the distance too quickly, because I felt so good on it. Anyway, lesson learnt.

I was eminently sensible and jogged round the three miles very slowly this morning (as per strict and stern Physio-Steve instructions) and came in in a little over 29 mins, about 550th of 870. Normally I'm around 23-24 mins and in the top 200. I found running at that pace quite tough. It took all my self-control not to pick up the pace and crack on. It was a good test of discipline I guess. Luckily I had the iPod with me and contented myself timing the pace to the music. The result was I wasn't remotely out of breath at the end and didn't really feel like I'd had a run, but it's what the knees need at the moment so I'll stick to it until the Physio gives the thumbs up for picking up the pace and distance again.

At the moment (cautiously), next weekend's 10k is looking like a goer, as is the Cub, but we'll wait and see. I'll probably bin the 5 mile road race that's on between the two, just to be on the safe side. Today I am feeling MUCH happier about the whole thing. The breathing, core stability muscle work, acupuncture, ultrasound, massage and ice packs all seem to be doing what they should.

Finger's Crossed, eh? :o)

30 comments:

  1. Hey CT,
    Hoorah, hoorah, hoorah!!! I myself can't wait to run directly after the Monday school run.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be thinking of you on Monday 🤗 I'm only allowed one more run before next Friday but I shall look forward to it 😆 Xx

      Delete
  2. That's all sounding positive and I'm glad your knee felt better at the end of it. I read something wrong though and thought you were going round listening to your iPLOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on Being Sensible. Fingers crossed for next weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go girl! Well done for being so sensible. Interesting about stresses from walking and running. I'm feeling pleased too . Just started week four and now doing 5 minute jogs...going well. Good luck for the 10 k. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, well done! It just shows how right you were to slow down and take the c25k slowly xx

      Delete
  5. Fingers Crossed !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's brilliant CT, I'm so glad it went well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. brilliant!! well done for you Being Sensible...it'll have served you well when you're galloping around the Cub. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. 23 minutes gets you in the top 20 of my rather smaller Parkrun! My calf is giving me trouble so I'm breaking from running for a few days

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done and such impressive restraint - although, 23 minutes is still much faster than I could hope to run it, even without my current coughing fits! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how quickly you get used to running at a certain pace. Hope the cough soon goes xx

      Delete
  10. You seem to be on track for the next 10K run. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done!

    At this time of year Sunday is the day when the air in our park is unpolluted and fit breathe . . . and today's Sunday . . . catch ya later :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that's great, much better news. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was halfway there and I made an about turn. I could taste the smoke from the chimneys. I ran somewhere else, less polluted, for an hour and did some hill reps. Run up the steep side and jog down the gentle side. Running up hills is slow but it is actually fast running in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How horrid to actually be able to taste the pollution. I loved your description of fast running in disguise. My plan for more hill training's been somewhat blown out the water!

      Delete
  14. Oh good, so pleased to hear that! It's so strange (and difficult!) to cut back the distance and pace so drastically -- my 5 minutes running/1minute walking routine yesterday netted me a total of 3.4 kilometres -- a little over 6 weeks ago, my basic run was a 9K, and I was hoping to work back to my weekly long run of 15-18. BUT, my right knee wasn't happy nor my left achilles, and I'd like to be running another decade at least, so back to baby steps. Encouraging to see how well this is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so frustrating when injury makes you pull back, but worth the short term annoyance to be running longer term. This is my mantra at present! It sounds like we run similar distances- I shall be willing you on to soon be back to form because I really do know how annoying it is not to be.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x