Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Parkrun In The Snow and Injury, with Only 26 Days To Go!







I've had four days off running, nursing my left knee. The timing is bloomin' annoying as it's now only TWENTY SIX DAYS till the Cub and I really could be doing without running-related knee pain restricting my training when a nine mile cliff run is looming in less than four weeks' time.

I'm having treatment for it. We've worked through a diagnosis (certain muscles not firing properly and putting strain on others which are doing extra work as a result, as well as core muscle strength needing some attention and belly breathing for the whole lot), and the lovely Viv (runner and sports therapist extraordinaire) is confident I'll be OK to run the race, provided I take it easy until then. Those of you who run will understand that, while I know I am nine mile fit and reasonably hill-proof (to a point!) and I can get round based on the training I've done to date, I really want to run it well and I'm frustrated at the curbing of my training.

On the plus side, I don't know a single runner who hasn't had to cope with injury at one time or another. We have lots of friends who are ultra endurance runners and they just take it as part of the sport. You just have to factor it in and be sensible about rest and getting treatment. There are two races before the Cub, a 10k and a 5 mile, both on roads. They may end up being sacrificial victims if I decide my knee isn't strong enough to do all three. It's interesting how some races mean more to you than others. I'll be sad to miss the other two, but I'd be absolutely gutted not to run the Cub. If I have to I will be crawling round it on my hands and knees, face set in Grim Determination :o)

I didn't do Parkrun on Saturday as a result and to be honest I was rather glad not to: it blew a blizzard and it was freeeeeeezing. M ran it in shorts (!) but most others were in head-to-toe thermals. I volunteered instead and was helping out with the funnel. Persuading exhausted runners to keep moving along to the token point and to keep in their race positions was an interesting experience! I met a lovely Czech lady called Varma (I think- we were so muffled with layers it was hard to hear her name properly). She's a maths lecturer. My maths is crap not very good so I was keen not to get into too deep a conversation about fractions and formulas lest I betray my ignorance  We did flamboyant and giggling star jumps together instead to keep warm until the first runners appeared (in a little over 15 mins, which for a three mile run is just rude, no?) :o)

I did get out for a 2.5 mile trot round the fields with the doggy folk this morning. As an experiment. The knee help up until the last half mile and now its aching again. So more half clams, plank, belly breathing and various other abdominal, glute and quad exercises for me, plus another session with Viv on Friday. On the plus side it was lovely to be running again. We had a close encounter with a buzzard who wasn't at all bothered about us running past him while he stood on the ground, and two skylarks who rose into the air trilling. They've just started again so that means Spring is definitely on the way.

Hope you're all well?

CT.







31 comments:

  1. Oh your poor knee - wishing it a very speedy recovery! I went out for a run for the first time in nearly 3 weeks last week. I spent the first 100m thinking how great it was to be running again and then the coughing kicked in, my legs turned to lead and I was panting like a mad thing. I managed about 2/3 of my normal distance and that extremely slowly. 2 steps forward, 1 step back and all that! 3 miles in 15 minutes?! That's just showing off! Good luck with the physio. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you for getting back to it. You'll be flying in no time x

      Delete
  2. You are so psyched up for the cub that I'm sure you will get there and do it well. I have a lovely mental image of you doing flamboyant star jumps:). Take care with you training and keep going with the half clams. B x
    P.S 2 + 2 = ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parkrun is too early in the morning for me after my shift! I'm nursing a slight calf strain, still managed 10km yesterday. probably isn't used to cricket, my winter nets have just started. Will take it easy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you are injured! Hope that you are better and can run for the big race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes with the territory. We shall overcome, one way or another! x

      Delete
  5. Hey CT,
    Sorry to hear that your knee is still giving you jip, but glad you are heeding all advice. As it's half term, I'm not able to run. So I'm embracing the break instead of missing it. Me and Olly have been going on long rambling walks with Honey, and spotting nature. Lots of honey bees in the gorse. Olly was very keen to spot various raptors after watching that fab segment on Countryfile about raptors in the Isle Of Sheppey? Did you see it? The skylarks are up and trilling here too!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed countryfile, so glad it inspired Olly. The walks sound lovely. I'm currently resting the knee and taking advantage of walking everywhere instead :o) XX

      Delete
  6. Time on your feet is the thing. I presume you can walk without doing damage, which may turn out to be a cloud with a silver lining. See if your physio agrees to that. When you get running again don't overdo it. If you lose a week you'll be back where you were in a week, if two weeks then two weeks. So no panic, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking seems to be OK. Physio thinks tendonitis as well so I have a patella band to try out. Taking it easy for now as I'm still hoping to do the race in 3 weeks, but it's really dependant on how it goes. Thanks for the encouragement- I'm a great believer in positive thinking and not panicking :o)

      Delete
  7. Hope the old knees perk up for you ready for the big race. It's typical but then they have been quite busy dashing about. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you're injured, it sounds like you're doing all the right things, I hope it is all better very soon. You still have a good chunk of time before the race. Look after yourself, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping it's long enough, but if it isn't I will chalk it up to experience and plan for next year instead :o) xx

      Delete
  9. as a person with dodgy knees, i feel your pain. still, like you say, rest and the proper therapy will have you all put to rights in time for the race.

    slow and steady and all that....:) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be proud of me, Mel, I have been being Very Sensible, heeding advice, resting, icing it (yeeouch!), and Not Running :o( xx

      Delete
  10. Ugh! Knees are the pits! Look after yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never spent so much time thinking about my knees before, Each :o) xx

      Delete
  11. I used to run 30 miles a week. I am afraid it's not up to you, you are plotting as if you can get your own way. Run on an injured knee and you might never run again, I know a lot of reluctant cyclists who used to run. Back off until you do not need trendy this muscle does not work with that one is forgotten. The muscles in your leg are not part of the Labour Party, they actually like each other and have evolved to work together. If they are not happy trendy breathing will not help. I am off for 4 miles on the flat tomorrow because my knee will not want rk on the hills. Enjoy what you can do, in my opinion wrecking your knee is probably not an optimal outcome....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't describe seeking treatment for an injury as plotting to get my own way. I agree about rest, but I'm also open minded to new ways of understanding the connections in the body. Time will tell, but until then I'm staying positive about my recovery because as soon as you start admitting defeat you've lost. Thanks for the comment, its always useful to consider from another perspective - although I'm not sure yoga devotees would recognise the description of belly breathing as trendy!

      Delete
  12. I want to be upset for you but running in freezing snow with a wonky knee is not a my idea of therapy. If your friend tells you that you will be ready I am sure you will be. Good luck !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow here thehamish's mummy :o) Spring is in the air this morning- warm sun, bees buzzing, flower coming out. It's glorious! x

      Delete
  13. How frustrating to have an injury, hope the rest has helped. At least it has happened now rather than nearer to the race. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else will prevent you from running the Cub. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be doing the trick, thanks Sarah, as well as regular Physio sessions which are fascinating. The Cub is down your way- I shall wave out the window as we go by! x

      Delete
  14. Sorry to hear about your knee but it sounds as though you're being sensible :-) I hope you'll be back to form for the Cub; even if you're not where you hoped you'd be, I'm sure you'll do it in good time - the adrenalin will kick in! Heard my first skylark here earlier in the week. Gosh, it lifted my soul. Take care of yourself. Sam x PS I've not heard yoga breathing described as 'trendy' before! I'd class myself as a sceptic but yoga has helped me build a strong core and the breathing can get you through quite a lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just back from the Physio and he's quietly confident so finger's crossed! I recorded the skylarks singing this morning, will try and get it on the blog, it's such a beautiful song. I agree about breathing and core stability, it is amazing how much difference it makes. It's certainly helping the knee stabilise and such a simple way to help yourself too :o) XX

      Delete
  15. Keeping fingers crossed that your knee will recover in time for the race.
    I'm happy to have found your blog. Your determination and love towards running make me almost put on my jogging shoes... soon, when there will be less snow and ice. :D
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara :o) I should imagine running in Finland would take you through some amazing scenery. Glad to have found your blog too x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x