Friday, 17 February 2017

A Kingfisher Comes






I've lived in this house by the lake ten years and I've seen the kingfisher who lives here with us twice. Once, in a flash of blink-and-you'll-miss-me electric blue flying fast and low across the water about eight years ago, and once for a handful of seconds perching beside our Robin on the garden fence three summer's back. 

This morning, as I was getting ready for the Physio I became aware of an unusual, out-of-place colour and shape in one of the trees by the lake. I grabbed the bins, already knowing what it was and drank in the sight of her. She sat there for half an hour, preening, looking at the water, occasionally turning her beak to stare at me. I was utterly spell-bound and very nearly late for the appointment. You can tell this is a female because of the orangey red lower bill (the boys' beaks are all black). Kingfishers can live for up to twelve years and they pair off in Feb/March, laying eggs in April so hopefully there will be a Mr KF around somewhere nearby. Their numbers and ranges were dropping thanks to water pollution, but since the 1980s they've recovered a little. They take insects including dragonfly larvae as well as small fish so I'm wondering whether we may see them in the garden up by the goldfish and wildlife ponds at some point. Magic, isn't she? And ever-so-slightly woodpecker-like - or is that just me?

After a slightly gloomy-in-the-not-running-department week, seeing her cheered me up no end, a feeling enhanced by my Physio Steve, who declared himself pleased with knee progress and wants me to try a small, sensible, slow Parkrun tomorrow with the patella braces I've got for tendonitis on. The difference they make is amazing. If running is very painful tomorrow then I'm off games for a fortnight, but still in with a chance of doing the Cub. We just have to wait and see. After acupuncture and ultrasound today it's feeling pretty good and I'm walking without any pain at all. Here's to the power of a good Physio and plenty of positive thinking.

Hope you're all well? The sun is shining here and it's Half Term as of four o'clock. We are definitely ready for it.

CT :o)


18 comments:

  1. Hope you will feel better soon, x
    How amazing seeing the beautiful Kingfisher, I still can't get over seeing two at Slimbridge last year xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful!
    We don't have them. When I have seen one, for the first time, in a Donald Duck story, I thought it was an imaginary bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely flash of colour for gloomy winter days. The bright red flash of a cardinal here always cheers me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful...an experience to remember. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm rooting(sp) for you tomorrow , hope all goes well. You lucky thing, a kingfisher in the garden and so beautiful. Bet you were mesmerised. Maybe if she has a mate nearby you will see more of her. Have a great half term with lots of sunshine. We've just emerged from two days of fog. Ugh. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I really hope your recovery keeps on going, would love to hear all about the Cub. But of-course you must rest if you need it. The very best of luck for Park run tomorrow! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey CT,
    I wish I could send you a recording of my exclamation as I saw your post title and photos! How utterly wonderful. Sent to you I'm sure, as a spirit lifter. I really hope she does visit your pond this summer.
    Happy park run!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you CT! The King fisher is the most beautiful bird! Colourful and quirky! One of my favourite!
    The kookaburra belongs to a sub family of the king fisher! The head shape is similar!
    While the kingfisher is bold in colour but more discreet in sound, the good old Aussie kookaburra has a loud funny laugh but quite demure colouring! They suit there environments well!
    Happy running CT!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to have a Kingfisher sighting so close to home :) Hope your knee is ok in the Parkrun and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How absolutely enchanting. We watch them at the wetlands place sometimes, there is a bank where they nest and it's perfectly positioned to be viewed from a hide. They really are gorgeous aren't they. I hope your knee is well on the mend and that the Parkrun goes well tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers and wishing you well, do let us know how it goes. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvellous. I've never seen one, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fantastic photos. I saw my first kingfisher a few months ago and it cheered me up no end; they're so beautiful. If I ever see another I'll now know if it's male/female! Good luck with the park run. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The kingfisher we're used to here on the SouthWest Coast of Canada (Belted Kingfisher) is a less colourful and larger (I think) bird than yours, but no less delightful. Such a distinctive call, they have, and the way they can hover and dive for fish is impressive. When we leave on island waterfront, we'd get to see them occasionally, surveying and preparing their strike from a perch in the arbutus tree at the front of our yard. And at one point, we realised that a kingfisher had very methodically emptied our garden pond of goldfish, one by one, fish that had previously evaded herons and snakes and the occasional mink. . . no match for the kingfisher!
    I'm very pleased to have discovered your blog -- thanks for visiting mine. Good luck with your running!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow how fantastic, all I ever see are the posters telling me they are there. Ha ha glad you are feeling a bit better. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. once the couple of these little sweet super fast birds made their nest into the branches of one of our small flowering tree and gave eggs and it was joy to see those tiny creatures turning into flying birds !
    living by lake is fascinating !
    hope you feel better soon dear friend,sending you hugs and prays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful! Whenever I have seen a flash of that brilliant colour it has turned out to be a scrap of rubbish or a sweet wrapper!
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a gorgeous creature she is! fingers-crossed her Mr.Right is somewhere around.

    glad your knee is feeling better....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. How brilliant. They're surprisingly chunky, aren't they? I haven't seen one for a few years but you never forget the sight of a kingfisher. So glad to hear the knee is responding to treatment. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x