Friday, 2 December 2016

Type 2 Fun





Have you come across the Fun Scale? It's something we reference a lot in our house because it fits outside activities well. Type 1 fun is always fun- fun at the time of doing and fun when you look back later on it. Type 2 fun is not fun at the time but you realise it was fun later when you think about it. Type 3 fun is no fun at all. Neither at the time nor later.

Of the three types of fun Type 2 fun is perhaps the one most associated with physical exercise. I've been running for four years now and, as any runner will know, you get days that just don't work no matter how good the omens. This morning's run was a case in point. I was looking forward to it but it was hard work all the way. Definitely Type 2 Fun. My lungs were tired, my legs were tired, my energy was flat, my stomach was flat and I felt sick at the end for pushing on up a hill (and before you all tell me off, pushing on is the only way to improve your stamina and fitness and as I haven't died since it was OK to do it). I did 5k in around half an hour but it just wasn't long enough to work through the niggles and recapture my mojo. I think I needed a longer run to iron out the creases but I have a sick boy at home and couldn't stay out any longer.

When I got up this morning a note had been pinned to the bathroom door: had a nosebleed in the night, don't worry about the blood. There was a lot of it. In the basin, in the bath, in the loo and on the floor. Amazing how much blood noses can produce. M had a friend at uni who always got nosebleeds at amorous moments. Unfortunate.  

Anyway, poor old L is asleep in bed pale and listless and miserable. The A team DVDs have made a reappearance and the fire has been lit in the sitting room (the dogs can't believe their luck) ready for when he emerges. I, Meanwhile, am going slowly stir-crazy at not being able to zoom about as I like to do. Cabin fever doesn't cover the half of it. I have just about had enough of this bug, which has been stalking my family for close on a month now in inventively horrible ways. Grrrr.

It is just as well, all things considered, that Type 2 fun exists because I'm already forgetting the unsatisfactory nature of this morning's run and remembering the Lapwings who rose in a handful pee-witting into the air by the big ploughed field, the Buzzard who alighted on a lump of flint, folding his long wings to watch as we trotted by, and the small roe doe who was tucked up neatly on the ground in the middle of the kale field by the big hill and who regarded us in the silent, self-contained manner of deer. I shall call upon those memories, and the satisfaction half an hour of any running, no matter how lumpy at the time, brings, while challenged with another restricted sort of day.

Wishing you all lots of freedom and Type 1 fun today, and if that can't be had then plenty of Type 2.

CT :o)



16 comments:

  1. Phew! Thought this might be a diabetes post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any going out into the cold on mornings like today is Type 2 fun for me - but I do enjoy it when I have plucked up the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you horrible family bug disappears very soon. At least you can see the bright side from your mornings run. Fire lit here too as we now have freezing claggy weather, the sun has disappeared. Wishing you a brighter weekend :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry L is still so unwell, I do hope he recovers very soon. The littlest boy has another cold, right on top of something he had the other week. What with that and various allergies, it seems he can never breathe easily. Glad you have some nice wildlife memories of your run even if it wasn't the best. I hope you can fit in a longer one at the weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor L. You all have had such a bad run of sickness, I do hope it clears up soon. I haven't been running for two weeks due to a horrible virus, but what is good is that I am craving running! Weird for me. What is not so great is that I feel my mood sinking so plently fof excuses for Type 1 fun.Of course reading your blog with a nice cup 'o tea is definitely Type 1.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear hope all's well now. My son used to have lots of nosebleeds, sometimes when he was a bit stressed. Hope you have some type 1 over the weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all my runs are Type 2 runs - I just wish that occasionally they were fun at the time! Here's hoping that your weekend is relatively lurgy free and contains lots of fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. But in spite of all that, you had a flat stomach! Waves of envy floating your way

    ReplyDelete
  9. getting up and going to work these dark, cold, mornings are definitely in the Type 2 category. i always feel quite smug at having been out and about when others are stuck indoors....but it takes a bit of convincing myself some days.

    so sorry to hear about poor L....what a horrible bug that is! girl-child has the beginnings of a (mild in comparison to your lurgy) cold and i just reminded her that better now than over the Chrimbly hols. so hopefully your L is fully recovered by then.

    i often get nosebleeds in winter...dry air, so i'm told....but yes, they produce an alarming amount of blood!!

    love to you all! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no poor L. Sending love n hugs from an internetty aunt ( sadly, complete with whiskers chin ) that would be wriggled out of in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly what you mean, but for me Type 2 exists in my head as I find the thought of swimming or cycling in the freezing cold quite off putting but once I'm in the water or on my bike I absolutely love it. How thoughtful of L to leave you a note. Hopefully you are all going to be fighting fit for the holidays. There is nothing worse than everyone going down with the lurgy just as school finishes - which has happened here more than once. Beautiful sunrise photos CT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, poor L. It's miserable - I've had three overlapping being poorly in the last couple of weeks, so I have an inkling of your cabin-fever. I'm glad you're well enough to get out running again and it sounds as though it was lovely, even if it was lumpy :-) I haven't seen lapwings for years... Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Type 1 fun here today as I got to SIT DOWN (unheard of on a Saturday afternoon normally) and watch the racing. Type 2 fun has been when I tried to get back to a longer walk last week (after a horrid cold now approaching its 4th week in residence). My legs DID get me up our hill, albeit very slowly, and with just ONE stop - unheard of in recent times as it's a bu**er of a hill at the bottom.

    Sorry that L has been doing a rendering of the Texas chainsaw massacre - a little blood does go a long way doesn't it?

    Glad you are back to running now anyway - don't overdo it though. I loved reading your description of the wildlife on your recent run.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was worried when I saw the title of this post, glad you are OK - bugs and noses excepting of course! I need some type 1 fun, or some type 2!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping L is soon well and fully mended. Darn olde bug to stick around like that. NO FUN AT ALL. I love your photos, but really like the first photo with the trees and sun. Just beautiful. Hope you are able to move more freely as L mends and that you are all well enjoying Fun 1 and Fun 2 for the Holidays. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope L has recovered quite well now and then lurgy leaves you all well alone x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x