Monday, 21 November 2016

Making Night Of Day




I'm thinking it's like this right across the UK today. Grim. It doesn't feel like the sun's even bothered to rise. It's dark, gloomy, pouring with rain, cold and miserable outside. The dogs and I are not stirring foot from the house. I can hear my little Sparrows singing determinedly from inside the hedge and a couple of Colourful Characters popping by (before the rain started in earnest) proved that, despite appearances, it is actually day outside.

Green Woodpecker drilling for ants on then lawn

Male Siskin nibbling nyger seeds
I'm thinking some hoovering is going to happen because that never fails to warm me up and I'm resisting the urge to switch the heating on.

Bug-wise, I'm still laid up although better than I was. I even managed to drive L to school this morning which is the first time in ten days. He's not 100% (as I have infected the whole family) but was determined to go in because he has GCSEs looming and revision sessions have already started.
M found him curled up asleep on the sofa with Poppy on Sunday morning. His awful mother had forgotten to give him a hot water bottle before bed and by midnight it was too cold to stay in his room.  Apparently, small  scruffy dogs make marvellous (if smelly) hot water bottles, even if they do take up far more room than their size suggests and aren't supposed to even be on sofas. You can see how much notice Pop takes of this rule in the pic above. Incidentally, she's been eyeing up my Reading Chair ever since it arrived but so far hasn't actually breached it. There will be Words had if she does.

M went off to work barking and sneezing and talking like Barry White. He just rang to say he isn't feeling too clever and may come home. I've never known him come back from work sick so he must be feeling rotten. What a horrid bug!

I've made a lemon drizzle cake this morning for the sewing sale and tomorrow will follow up with a chocolate one. If no one buys anything at least I'll have presents sorted for the next ten years and can commiserate with myself by eating lots of cake :o)

Hope you're all well?

CT.

21 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better, all sounds very cosy stuck inside with lots of cake! I guess you haven't managed a run just yet, but soon. I just love your wee doggy pics -so so sweet. Our great big Pup gets quite anxious if she is not allowed to get up on the sofa with us when we all settle down of an evening. Your reading chair wouldn't stand a chance! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have some lovely birds visiting! Tremendous colour in those shots, much needed at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hoovered this morning in lieu of putting the heating on. Other half has a hat and scarf on while he works. And I have ordered fluffy boot slippers. I hope you're all better soon, as well as everyone else. Glad L has managed to go into school. Enjoy the rest of the day, hope all manage to stay dry. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is miserable here today as well and it hasn't stopped raining all day and it is so dark, very depressing, definitely cake weather, good luck with the sale x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you've been so poorly. Your reading chair sounds interesting. Mike has promised to open up under the stairs for me. I'm now pondering if a reading chair will fit in. My heating is on and I am presently spread out on a sofa in the warmth. Take care all x

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the sun begins to set (almost unoticably) I am thinking that I ate all the cake last night, so I may go out into the rain and buy whisky...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cake baking sounds like the way to go on a day like today. Definitely time to use that reading chair, if it's not already been taken. Hope you are all feeling better soon. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heating's on here. It's allowed if one or more of you are poorly. I have no qualms now I'm past 60 - I don't do cold. My hands went to lumps of ice just topping up the bird feeders earlier on - I was outside less than 3 minutes!

    No baking being done here, but a good hot king prawn curry is bubbling away for the evening meal. Weather like this (and colds) demand a good curry. OH is having kippers of course . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better. It's poured down all day here and I've worn a scarf indoors for most of it! A furry hot water bottle sounds like the best kind. Stay warm and enjoy the cake. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been a miserable day here too so I cheered myself up with a swim and now I'm home and had a cup of tea and eaten a hot buttered crumpet I'm feeling much better. This time of year is such a challenge, thank goodness for Blogland. Really hope that the awful bug clears your house for good very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey CT,
    The weather has been simply hideous here. I've not run since Friday, which was so vile in the wind and rain I swore I'd never do it again! But like you, the birds are flitting about and I have been watching them from my window. I hope your lurgy is a thing of the past very soon. Nothing worse than a fluey cold.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is miserable isn't it and my neighbour reckons we've got another two weeks of it, let's hope she's wrong. Glad you're feeling a bit better. Good luck with the sale. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear you are up and about. The weather over this way has drizzles these past few days, then sun, then big (HUGE) DROPLETS of rain, but not a downpour, rather selective?? No snow yet, no shovelling to do, I'm fin with that. Cake, you say....pass out the plates.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That bug has really treated you badly hasn't it?
    You need to keep warm to make sure that you don't catch a cold on top of it all.
    Love your bird photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo CT I can report that, I too, have had a Siskin ! My feeders are very busy and I will clean and refill at the weekend! I nearly let me spuds boil dry on Sunday watching them all out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well Somerset has submerged, this is more like the monsoon than English weather, but at least in Thailand the monsoon is relatively warm.

    My heating is on, the log burner is on although the flue is leaking and not having any diving kit I cannot get onto the roof to fix it for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  17. According to Weaver all over is wet and cold. I hope your weather clears up soon.
    It has been getting cool here but in the afternoon I still turn on the Air conditioner. Still to warm for me. Too ill and I take too many drugs so I am always so warm.
    Be careful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness it does sound miserable there with the weather. I think you should switch the heating on and all stay warm...life is too short to be cold. And it wont help the sick at all.
    We had a day of 38c yesterday which was disgusting... and after a very stormy night we are back down to a pleasant 17c...hooray.
    Stay well..hope M & L are all good soon.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. P.S Keep Calm and Eat Cake...lemon drizzle..oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry to hear you are under the weather and obviously you haven't factored everyone in the family as well. I have not returned from the Isle of Wight and I am under the weather. Love your birdphotographs so keep cosy warm and eat lots of cake. You can run that off later when you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry to hear the bug is still lingering. I love the photo of Poppy gazing out of the window at such a miserable day and great to see a siskin, too. Mine all disappeared sometime in the summer and I hope to see them back on the feeders again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x