Thursday, 29 September 2016

Training With The Dogs & A Finished William Morris Quilt


I was thrilled at the response to my last post about running. I really hope those of you who felt inspired to get out there will do so. And if any of you are having doubts, an added incentive is the (optional) Brightly Coloured Kit available to deck yourself out in. M shrugs on any old t-shirt he's dug out from the bottom of a drawer stuffed full of ones he's won from various races over the years and pulls on a pair of decrepit shorts from Primark that have seriously seen better days and off he goes. But I'm slightly more of a Closet Exhibitionist when it comes to clothes. I run in hand-made shorts (my own) which variously sport bright pink flamingos and bright red strawberries (I'm on the look out continually now for Interesting potential-running-shorts-fabrics wherever I go), and running tops like the one above, which is my treat to myself this morning for having signed up for the 10k in December. I've worked out a training programme today, cobbled together from three M found on line for me. They all involve every other day as a rest day and a slow 13-week build up so baring disaster I'm reasonably confident I can do it. The Half will be another story, but that's next year's goal so I'm not thinking much about it yet. One Step At A Time, eh?

This morning, I ran a steady 4k loop round fields with Mrs Ibbot and our three dogs, after a fastish 5k yesterday. It was drizzling by the time we parked up and then the heavens properly opened and dumped copious quantities of rain on us. The wind whipped up from no-where. We'd barely set off round the ploughed field before we were both utterly soaked. Even my two Hardy Hounds kept turning round to look at me with are you serious? type expressions on their faces. We persevered and the rain stopped just as we got back to the cars (of course). I was pleased because it was the first time I'd run all the way up a long hill in the middle without needing to walk. I was half-dead at the top, of course, but not for long. Home to breakfast and a nice warm shower and all done by 9.45 am (which left the rest of the day for shopping and then potential falling asleep on the sofa watching The Good Wife this afternoon with not a trace of guilt in sight).

Running with a friend was lovely as we chatted most of the way round (obviously not running hard enough). And running with the dogs is also lovely, for their companionship, their enthusiasm and the fact they keep me going because they can both run faster and further than I can so I am forever playing catch up.

Pop is a darl to run with because she loves it and heads off in front fast and confident. She runs straight as a die so I never trip over her. Teddy, on the other hand, is a little less committed and finds himself getting easily distracted, stopping to stare at a squirrel, sniff a leaf, pee on a blade of grass or veering off to have a poo, which is a little less enjoyable when you're behind him on a narrow path :o)

Still, they both enjoy coming out for runs and the excitement when they see me putting my running shoes on knows no bounds. They both develop springs beneath their paws and Ted sings you the song of his people (all Westie people will be familiar with this) until the door is open and they can charge off down to the gate. Taking them out running with me has the additional benefit of making scenes like this one less likely because they're too tired to wreck havoc on beds filled with Interesting Fluffy Stuff when I'm out....


Hmm. That was a gift from them both last week.
Who? Us?


In Other News, I have finished a William Morris quilt I started last year. I was going to sell it at the village Christmas Fayre, but have been using it to snuggle under on the sofa with Poppy instead. She likes to make a small, slightly smelly cave of it and tucks herself away inside so no-one but me knows she's there. She's Christened it with muddy paws so it's staying put now. I really like it so I think she's done me a favour on the whole.


Finally, can I point those of you who haven't seen it today the way of CJ's blog? She's written a great piece on the Ivy Mining Bees who are currently staying at her allotment which you can find here. Ivy Mining Bees are a relatively new species in the UK and are bucking the trend of overall bee decline without affecting our native species so they are important, as well as being harmless and only around for six weeks or so from Sept-Oct. Do pop over and have a read (also see the pictures of these wonderful little insects).

Hope all are well? Do tell me about your running stories....(I shall keep asking until I've harassed you into starting :o) ).

CT :o)

29 comments:

  1. The dogs look so innocent don't they.
    Very nice quilt, best keep it out of their way x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CT, following on from your inspirational post, I printed off the 'couch to 5K' programme, stuck it to the fridge and went out for my first run yesterday. Unfortunately, Wednesdays are also my yoga day, so I'm feeling a little stiff today! Hopefully, I'll have recovered in time for tomorrow's run. I'm afraid my kit consisted of my old gym shorts and a ratty old over-sized T shirt - it wasn't a pretty sight either style or ability wise, but boy did I feel virtuous afterwards! Love the quilt. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whoop whooped out loud when i read that! Wonderful! I'm so pleased! Well done! Once you start the benefits become apparent so quickly it's a real incentive to carry on. I giggled about the old gym shorts and t shirt :o). You really don't need posh kit, but it is worth getting a pair of decent running shoes from a shop who'll fit them properly for you. Hooray! You have made my day xx

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with your commitment especially with the added dimension of dodging Teddy! I will be following your progress. I'm gearing up for my 12 mile cliff walk by breaking in some new walking boots. Never had a real pair before so they feel a little strange and stiff so far. Hopefully off for a serious Jersey cliff walk this weekend ,weather allowing. Love the quilt, glad the dogs persuaded you to keep it :) B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some really comfy walking boots last year for L. He never wears them so I do now :o). How is your training going? I thought of you on Tuesday while out walking - twelve miles is a great goal. The dogs and I usually walk 3! Xx

      Delete
  4. I adore that William Morris fabric and the quilt looks lovely. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the 10K!! Lovely quilt, it is officially snuggling under quilt weather. Dogs are wonderful for getting you out and about, I'm really enjoying walking my sons dogs everyday, I let them do the running :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ref. Iron Women sports bras, my daughter (similar shape to me!) tells me Bravissimo is the way to go . . . I am not sure if I will be up to much running but I did manage about 30 yds yesterday, and I did walk 17,000 steps today so the legs are still working!

    Love the new top and the William Morris quilt. We all need something to snuggle under, people and dogs (and cats in this house)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent re the running and walking. Thanks for the bra tip, will check it out x

      Delete
  7. There's nothing like starting a plan with enthusiasm, especially in the rain! Lovely quilt. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, and in the UK we're used to doing things in the wet! X

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the mention, I must update with a post about how the bees have indefinite leave to remain. The quilt is lovely, good that it's staying, you and Poppy deserve it I think. For a moment I was wishing I had a little doggy to run along with, then I saw the stuffing picture... I bet that was a good half hour for them though. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so naughty, tugging the bed all about the house and digging at it. I don't know what got into them! X

      Delete
  9. How wonderful your have some great company to run with.
    Lucky lucky you.
    I have a door rug that says" Let me sing you the song of my people"
    I love it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was your doormat that stuck in my head whenever Ted was doing his arrooows! X

      Delete
  10. Loving the fact that you are running...good luck with the training. I just continue with my daily walks and yoga....only thing my joint will allow and of course swimming which I dont really do very often!!!

    Love to quilt..so glad you are keeping it.
    Enjoy enjoy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking and yoga sound good to me :o). Hope all's well, my friend xx

      Delete
    2. All is well here... Will email you early next week xx

      Delete
  11. Well... I went for my first run in a long time this morning! Yay! It's thanks to your motivational post that I actually Did it, even though I have been Thinking About it for a while. That and the fact that I ate two scones with clotted cream yesterday... Cassie loved it and kept charging off doing her greyhound running and I was puffing behind shouting 'I can't keep up with you!'. It felt fabulous afterwards. Thank you for the 'boot up the bum'. I shall endeavour to keep it up. I love your description of your run with the dogs, and having someone to chat to is the best – it's good to jog at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. I do like the wording on your new running top. My kit is rather past its best so I might have to indulge. Not sure about making my own shorts, though; probably best to stick to shop-bought! Glad you're keeping your quilt - quite right after all your hard work. Have a super weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! Well done you. I'm so pleased! It's a shame we don't live closer we could have run together. Have you thought about printing out some 5k training sheets and aiming for a parkrun? It would keep you getting out and you'd soon see improvements. Finishing your first parkrun gives you such a sense of achievement too. I'll bet Cassie is loving you running :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey CT,
    Three runs this week. All about 2 miles, which is pretty good for a start. I have worked out a couple of routes, and find that I much prefer something that reminds me of a track. It keeps me in mind of my sporty days of long ago when I ran for county and did National trials. I think it motivates me more. Marc prefers meandering through the countryside. Each to their own. I did try Honey on a run, but her old lady bones aren't quite up to it. So I walk her after. I've heard that Sainsbury do some inexpensive and colourful running gear. At the moment, I wear an old t shirt of Marc's and some decrepit jogging bottoms. Here's to firmer thighs and taught buttocks!!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Two miles is a fantastic start! Firmer thighs and taut buttocks will arrive in no time :o) xx

      Delete
  14. Oh CT I'm pretty sure we have Ivy mining bees here too! I shall take a photo this evening. I don't run my dear but I do walk. I think I would like to have a go at running but Rocky hound would not make the greatest of running partners! Too badly behaved however he has never destroyed his bed - yet! Good luck with your 10K and yes Poppy did indeed do you a favour with the quilt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the Ivy Bees! Walking is great exercise and walking with a dog is the best way to get out regularly I reckon. xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x