Sunday, 22 May 2016

Things To Be Glad Of.....





Thirty-one Things To Be Glad Of....

1. Teddy and Poppy. Pop's back to getting her 'funnies' - she reacts to something in warmer seasons and spends several hours feeling small and blue, shivery and uncomfortable. Cod liver oil capsules and healing help but she is very much my dog whenever these things occur and won't leave my side. Ted tries to help by licking her nose but you know it's serious when Pop doesn't want to play.

2. Red-Headed Cardinal Beetles who have just started to appear in the garden, along with a much rarer click beetle (cue enormous excitement from me and eye rolling from the rest of the family).

3. Orangey/red geum up by the pond. Beautiful.

4. Homemade knitting needle roll with V&A fabric.

5. Red Tailed Queen Bee nectaring on the lilac this afternoon.

6. Waiting for almost two hours in the pouring rain at Dunbridge Station to see the Flying Scotsman go past and jovially telling one another 'wouldn't it be funny if, after waiting all this time, a train pulled up at just the wrong moment and blocked the view?' only for a train to pull up at just the wrong moment and block the view. We all pelted down the platform and caught it as it disappeared. The station was full to bursting and everyone fell about laughing. Thank goodness for a British Sense Of Humour.

7.Watching Mr & Mrs Bullfinch taking turns to catch dandelion seed heads.

8.Orange Tip male visiting the garden and sitting still.

9. Dock Bugs and Woundwort Shieldbugs mating.

10.Lots of Red Campion blooming.

11. Mrs Sparrow finally bringing her child into the garden (she is very sweet and has been working hard to copy all the adults. I waste hours watching her hopping about).

12. Dicentra, recovering from a hard winter.

13. A Large White nectaring on the lilac.

14. Bee Mimic Hoverflies (Criorhina spp.).

15. Large Red Damsels eclosing from the pond :o)

16. Homemade Marshmallow Rice Crispy cakes (they were so good I had to send M to work with the rest of them to stop myself scoffing the lot).

17. Mrs Orange Tip nectaring on the lilac.

18. Mrs Crab Spider surviving the drama that was 'lawn-mower-gate' yesterday when someone (husband) knocked her flower down!!!!! I tied it back up to some bamboo and, once she'd got over the sudden plunging of her flower earthwards, she settled back into poised-to-pounce-on-bees mode and recovered her aplomb remarkably well. When it later poured with rain she sensibly moved underneath the flower and sat there sheltering from the storm quite happily. Her husband has swung off to another patch of ox-eyes. I found him hanging out on them looking about with a beady eye for another Mrs Crab Spider. I was not Very Pleased and admonished him for his loose morals. I think he winked at me, so I don't hold out much hope for a happy and long-lasting marriage. It's probably the stripes. It makes him rakish.

19. The wildflower patch, which is providing endless hours of insecty entertainment (for me).

20. Brian, who is growing nicely.

21. Wholenut chocolate. I don't need to say anymore on that score, do I?

22. Fabric. Ditto #21.

23. A box of ribbon. Ditto #21 and # 22.

24. Not shrinking my favourite cardi in the wash.

25. Being old enough to wear novelty slippers and not having to pretend it's done ironically.

26. My snowdrop cushion. M considers it pointless as it sits on an old farmhouse chair in the bedroom which no one ever uses as a chair. This is because he is a MAN and programmed to consider all cushions that aren't bed pillows pointless. No woman ever considered a snowdrop cushion pointless, regardless of where it is positioned.

27. Fresh salad leaves straight from the garden onto the plate, washed by the rain, potentially containing the odd slug and dock bug.

28. Seeds growing. A tiny miracle every one, no?

29. A box of cotton reels. Sewers and crafters will get it, right? :o)

30. The first wasp beetle of the year.

31. CJ's rhubarb shortbread recipe. Try it, it's de-lish-us.

May is a month to be glad of, I think.

Hope all are well? Wishing you all a good week ahead,

CT :o)


20 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! It had me oooing and aaaing and giggling at the tale of Mrs Crab Spider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading the list and I am afraiad I had also tolaugh at your miss, well ready, iss seeing the flying Scotsman. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey CT,
    Every one a good thing, but I did smile at no8 ;) Olly would love to see a crab spider. I will have to have a very close look at our flowers. It would be amazing if I could find one to show him.
    Have a lovely week.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Goodness !
    Love everything but the creepy white spider. Even with your funny story. But as always Teddy and Poppy top my list of wonderful.
    Charming post even with the creepy white spider.
    Next time a Wolf Spider invades my home I will try to take a photo before I kill it. Big creepy and poisonous ! I mean big really big and poisonous, really big.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I adore everything, except that creepy white spider. I will now have nightmares

      Delete
  5. 31 marvellous things and May isn't over yet. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor Poppy; I hope she's feeling perkier soon. Lots of things to be glad about in your post. Your snowdrop cushion is lovely. I too have cushions on bedroom chairs that nobody sits on! I made CJ's rhubarb shortbread for the first time yesterday too - delish indeed. I'm so glad that Mrs. Crab Spider survived her ordeal. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Goodness !
    Love everything but the creepy white spider. Even with your funny story. But as always Teddy and Poppy top my list of wonderful.
    Charming post even with the creepy white spider.
    Next time a Wolf Spider invades my home I will try to take a photo before I kill it. Big creepy and poisonous ! I mean big really big and poisonous, really big. Big did I say big with thick hairy legs ?

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! I'd be scared. Does thehamish chase them? Pop does which makes it worse ;-)

      Delete
  8. A snowdrop cushion that good needs to be on a chair that no-one sits on. It's amazing how men fail to appreciate soft furnishings isn't it. Sorry that Poppy has been having funny turns, I hope they have passed now and that she's back to mischievous good form. Orange tip photo is superb. I can barely identify them usually, they're always moving so fast. The Flying Scotsman moment made me smile. Glad you caught a little glimpse of it. I know exactly what you mean about the miracle of seeds. I have to stop and think about it every single year. Some of them are like dust! Glad you enjoyed the shortbread. I have rhubarb flapjack in the fridge. It's not in the same league. Wishing you a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good things to be glad of! I hope that Poppy will be alright!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All good things to smile about and be glad of. I'll have to try that shortbread. Wonderful photos. Sam x PS My husband doesn't see the point of cushions for decoration either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is good that we can rejoice in the simple things of life - the Spring, the Spring flowers, the young birds appearing - every day is a joy this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely list for May, bring on June it's going to be a busy one...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lovely sunshine has brought everything out to play. Long may it continue :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just made the rhubarb shortbread. Oh my word....

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a nice long list of gladness. Is Poppy allergic to something. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is always so much to be glad of....for all of us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love them all. Could u tell me where I got the pattern for the snowdrop cushion. Would love to make one😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shop-bought. You could maybe find some snowdrop fabric and do it that way? :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x