Sunday, 8 May 2016

All the small things







common carder bee

female orange tip

whitethroat

orange tip egg
I am routinely teased here for "taking pictures of grass." I was delighted therefore, while dipping in to the truly marvellous book that is And The Worm Forgives The Plough, to find that the author was interested in what he called the "extraordinary in the ordinary." It is a phrase I now shoot back whenever anyone in my family sniggers at my fondness for all the small things.

Had I not been interested in the minutiae of nature, I would not (for example) have found the orange tip egg hiding under the bracket of the ladies smock bloom in the photo above (it's the small orange torpedo sticking out at right angles from the stalk just under the flower). Despite watching the flowers like a hawk in recent days, I have failed utterly to see the female at all, and have only glimpsed the male in passing. Very Rapid passing, which is what male OTs are wont to do when newly emerged. The photo of the female OT came from a walk on Saturday through a nearby woodland.

I was also delighted this week to discover a resident Whitethroat or two in trees next to the house. I love 'em, they are right up there with owls and swallows for me. They are confident, friendly little birds with a forthright expression in that beady eye that's hard to resist, as if they enjoy everything there is in life and aren't afraid of saying so. It's an infectious attitude, cemented by the way they throw out their brisk song while perched at the top of a bush/ tree/ hedge with a confidence and aplomb you really can't help but admire.

The Whitethroats are summer migrants (another reason to admire them in my book- I am continuously amazed at this impressive feat of long-distance flying), as are Swifts who have also just returned (on May 5th). I watched two wheeling in the sky above Romsey while sitting in a traffic jam, their scimitar wings slicing the air, and then saw more at Kings Somborne the following day.

They heralded the return of summer weather- it has been proper hot here the past two days.  Red Damsel flies are appearing and the honey bees have decided a hole in the bricks beside our bedroom window is the perfect place to set up home and have been buzzing excitedly about it all afternoon. I warned them not to go in through the window into the house while they were investigating, but of course they did and I spent some time ushering errant bees back outside.

Badger Cam has continued to provide pleasure and entertainment. I add below a selection of videos for your entertainment. I am puzzled by the furious/ indignant spitting in one of them. Not made by the badger in the image, I can only assume there is another one off-shot who is giving something (possibly the fox I recorded in a previous still being chased by a badge) a piece of his/ her mind. Badgers have a wide vocal range. 
Foxes are turning up on the camera with increasing frequency. I was concerned that the fox in the daylight video had mange, but having read up on it I think it's more likely he/ she is is summer moult. They can start this from the back forward apparently.

The video with the rook rattling peanuts has a backing track provided by my resident cuckoo, who continues to take enormous delight in cuckooing just out of sight and then flying off whenever I get close.
There will undoubtedly be more of that this week, and hopefully the female will also make herself known by the bubbling call she makes after egg-laying. I haven't heard it yet, but there are certainly plenty of Dunnocks singing at present so hopefully it won't be long. We're also waiting the return of Nightjars on to the forest. Any day now....
And in addition I am about to lay some refugia on a nearby site to survey reptiles. I will let you know the outcome. Although I have never seen them there, I am reliably informed there are adders. I am hoping for slow worms because they don't appear in our garden and I am Very Fond Of Them.

The Moth Box is out tonight. A warm May evening, it should bring in some lovely things. Leanne, watch this space.... 



Wishing you all a pleasant evening,

CT :o)

PS- I'm very glad to be able to continue blogging on a more adhoc basis, but please forgive me not answering comments and also not always getting round to read all your blogs. Less time spent on the computer has helped my eyes no end and I'd rather do some blogging than none at all :o)






11 comments:

  1. I think the orange lady looks like she's in a ball gown direct from a Cinderella story. My garden pets have increased, especially the Ravens who like to think they are blue tits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so lovely to hear that Cuckoo and I woner why the Badger was angry? great tosee the Fox near by. I am taking my bird group out tomorrow so I hope to see a Whitethroat along with other Warblers. I think that yellow and red Tulip is like one I have this year. My Tulips have done very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous photos, the orange tip on the bluebell is stunning. Lovely to see the swallows as well, they're one of my favourite birds. Good luck with the reptile survey, and I shall look forward to seeing what's in your moth box, it always amazes me. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to see the little things with you! Long may your photographing of blades of grass continue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always lovely photos,I have never heard of a Whitethroat, I always learn so much reading your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased you are able to continue blogging in a small way. Stunning photos and isn't it great to see the swallows, swifts and martins back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whitethroat image, which has made me remember walking along Berry Head Coastal Path listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey CT,
    Oh that egg!. Perhaps I'll have some next year....
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am chuffed to bits when I see a post from you – your blog is completely fabulous. I love to hear about your wildlife sightings and musings – gorgeous photos and fascinating observations. I haven't seen any swifts yet but I have had my nose stuck in a big proof reading job lately (yawn) but I finished it this pm. I'm hoping to get out and about tomorrow and have a Good Look. Whitethroats, butterflies, badgers – brilliant. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so good you are continuing to delight us with your sightings! That orange tip egg looks tiny! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post and photos...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x