Sunday, 21 February 2016

Twelve Things From My Week


1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.
10.

11.
12.
Half term has been a welcome week here. A chance to slow down, set aside routines and pause responsibilities. L has spent most of it in his PJs; Pop has been relieved of matted fur; Teddy's wet eczema is a thing of the past; M has stepped up marathon training a gear or two and I have pottered in the garden, bought flowers and tools, turned the earth, made lists and cooked.

1. A new blue vase. Every Friday, I buy yellow flowers. Daffodils, Roses or Tulips. I am not sure why, only that I have always listened to that inner voice that sometimes whispers, sometimes yells, so yellow flowers for the time being it is.

2. A new purchase from CK in Oxford. I could almost pretend I made it myself, were it not for the label. I find I am more selective in clothes purchases these days. I think about them more before committing and more often I don't buy anything. I'm also no longer to be fooled by expensive garments promising to last forever.

3. Fresh wood to add to the log pile. We stack it high beside the fire and for a day or two afterwards it talks as it settles. These sounds can be alarming, until you realise it isn't about to topple over and squash you. Even the dogs ignore it now.

4. A kneeler. I can't think why I've waited so long to buy one. It has revolutionised gardening. No more wet/ muddy/ sore knees for me, thank you. I'm finding excuses to kneel down in the garden all the time now.

5.On Guard Duty by the front gate. This responsibility is taken Very Seriously, as you can see. The Postman finds himself a daily target and Mr Amazon flatly refuses to come through the gate until I remove them both.

6 and 7. M bought me a white climbing rose for Valentines, and with it, this little book which he found waiting patiently in a basket of second-hand books. It was written by the Dean of Rochester and first published in 1869 (this edition is dated 1932). It is our Book At Bedtime and is charmingly written. It makes me feel settled and dreamy listening to it.

8. Not yellow, but I couldn't say no to these tulips who came in under the guise of two for a fiver.

9. Witch Hazel Flowers from the tree M bought me for my birthday a couple of years back. I checked on them last week and they were looking a little anaemic. Today, they are impersonating small flames dancing merrily along the branches.

10. It has been my aim over recent years to ensure my winter wardrobe contains colour. I may live in jeans and walking boots, but at least I can look at the colours when I walk past it.

11. Salted Caramel Florentines. A weakness, but not one I am remotely sorry about.

12. Poppy and I played football together in the garden this afternoon. It is her favourite game. Ted mostly isn't interested. She dashes over to the ball, puts her front paws on it and looks expectantly at you. It would take someone in possession of a heart far harder than mine to say no to her. The look of disappointment is just too much to bear. We kicked it about for a bit before it went into the flowers. She knows flowers and football don't mix and shot me a worried look before rushing after it to hook it out. Playing footie with Pop is an instant cure for melancholy (which, fortunately, I don't suffer from, but if I did I'd know where to go to get over it).

Hope all are well?

CT x

46 comments:

  1. Fabulous Post.
    I must steal this idea... I love all the photos but #5 and 12 steal my heart. Mr. Amazon hahahahahahahaha Mine use to mosey out and sit waiting for a pet, or CHKIKIN' !
    Love Pops new hair cut. Happy that Teddy is better.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get offered biscuits by the Postie, Ted declines his, Poppy gobbles it up quick in case the offer's withdrawn :o)

      Delete
  2. opps forgot, I see the "hare" in #6, Weaver takes about Hares and not rabbits, but to me it looks like the Jackrabbits around where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UK hares have much longer ears and back legs than bunnies. Not sure whether yours are closer to our hares or rabbits?

      Delete
  3. 12 lovely things. I want one of those kneelers with the handles to heave myself up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it has revolutionised gardening (well worth the accompanying teasing I've got on the back of it) xx

      Delete
  4. What a lovely list. The book on roses is a very nice gift, so thoughtful, it looks like a real gem. Jeans worn every day here as well almost. Number eleven - oh my. Salted you say? Sigh. Mel tells me I can add a day to the end of Lent if I transgress. Florentines are one of my very favourite things. It sounds like a very good week, lovely to see you've been working in the garden. I hope this is another good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grinned at Mel's comment. I love finds like the roses book, something special about them. A kind of treasure. Wishing you a good week ahead too, my friend XX

      Delete
  5. Hey CT,
    What a lovely idea for a post. I'm inspired, and may well copy. I'm not a huge fan of daffs, much preferring tulips. Honey likes to play ball in the garden too, but she gets possessive extremely quickly. As for the Florentines, I'd be quite possessive of them!
    All is well at Weldield finally. Thank goodness! Have a lovely Sunday evening.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're all feeling chipper again. Just in time for school starting, eh?! I always enjoy your listy-type posts, nice and simple, I reckon xx

      Delete
  6. I found myself smiling inwardly and outwardly at this marvellous post, CT. That book is an absolute treasure of a find. What gorgeous words – a horrible dread of imposition vexed my unquiet soul – brilliant. I'm not surprised it's lovely to listen to (does M read to you?! wow). My garden kneeler is put to very good use too. And I also rarely wear anything other than jeans but like to have some colourful clothes, just in case. You sound very content here which is lovely. Have a good week. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does read to me, it's been a tradition of ours for years since we first met and I find it hard to get to sleep now if he's away! Wishing you a lovely week too xx

      Delete
  7. I love the passage from the book, of course nowadays that kind of weather would be blamed on global warming.
    The florentines look so yummy, haven't made them for years.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, Bri :o)
      I must make some florentines. I have bought them until now but now you mention it homemade would be delicious x

      Delete
  8. The book looks a find. I love to come across old books like this with a style written in another time. They often feel as though each word is placed very carefully on the page.
    Guard duty at the gate is a task taken very seriously here, too. Harry could stare at the gate for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect description- each word placed carefully on the page. Harry would get on well with T and P!

      Delete
  9. My stepfather has just got a new wooden coal and wood bunker, which he is pretty excited about! Strange man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the eccentricities we all have and the unusual/ unique things we find appealing :o)

      Delete
  10. What a great list. Your doggies are so cute and I'll have a CK jumper and a Florentine please! Your Valentine's presents are pretty special too - I'd say that you've had rather a good half term! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad at all, thank you :o) Batteries recharged ready for the new term. And thankfully, Easter isn't all that far away! x

      Delete
  11. Twelve bits of wonderful!!! Glad to have that you have had a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my dear. I do feel rested :o) xx

      Delete
  12. Your twelve made me smile, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely selection of photos. Those salted caramel florentines look and sound delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Top Tip (should you find yourself in Waitrose with a packet in the trolly) - they are perfect when kept in the fridge and taken out just before eating :o) xx

      Delete
  14. An interesting post and a nice way to see what makes you tick. Poppy looks so expectant, bless her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is Mrs Keen when it comes to football :o) xx

      Delete
  15. Glad to hear Teddy is well again. Your blue vase looks great with the daffodils, really sets them off. That's half term ticked off, Mothers' Day next, it's all go isn't it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGE relief re Ted. Really hoping the change in diet helps and it doesn't return again. I'm really pleased with the new vase (had a discount on it too, which is even better!). Hope all's well with you xx

      Delete
  16. a lovely glimpse of 'my life in photographs' - which I really enjoyed. I love yellow flowers too - and bought two bunches of daffodils for a pound in M and S the other day. I have them on the window sill behind the kitchen sink. I have got such pleasure from them and they are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same- keep smiling to myself when I look at the flowers, I'd fill the house with them if I could! x

      Delete
  17. Such a lovely 12 photo Day Post. I especially loved frolicking with the dog and ball. My Jack loves this too. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun to play ball with Poppy, she does keep us all entertained :o) x

      Delete
  18. Dear CT
    What a lovely list! That photo of Pop is so sweet - no wonder you have to give in. The book sounds and looks wonderful too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very hard to resist, such a joyful little bundle. xx

      Delete
  19. What a lovely week, nice post..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. Hope you've had a good week too x

      Delete
  20. what a gorgeous collection of images and happenings. *sigh*

    "a horrible dread of imposition vexed my unquiet soul" <--- *dies of swoon*. I cannot possibly tell you how much I love the way people used to write.....*sigh*

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Poppy looks a great footballer! That book sounds a wonderful find! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  22. 12 lovely things! Love the jumper and of course the daffodils but the dogs always make me smile!
    A great way to pinpoint all the things that make your heart sing! Simple and beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was quite enjoying the snippet of a read from your new book. What a great description of Spring ... he could be describing our weather today! Lovely shots of the pups, and the one of Poppy and her ball is so cute. My dog loves to go after tennis balls, but he's getting old and puffy when he runs flat out, so we limit these games. I prefer a good long walk anyway ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you got to relax over half term...I do love the photo of Poppy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you are well and not working to hard...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. 'Salted' 'Caramel' & 'Florentine' three of may favourite words & all three combined sound divine! I'm glad Te's wet eczema has cleared up. Lots of lovely things to post about xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely photos and it`s good to hear that you had a chance to stop and catch your breath in half term week.

    Poppy and our Slate Grey Dog should get together for a football game. SGD is obsessed with developing her ball skills!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x