Monday, 8 February 2016

I'm a Bit Grumpy.....

....About the naming of storms. A storm is a storm is a storm. I remember the Hurricane of '87 and frankly it would be diminished if someone were to refer to it as, oh I don't know, Frank, or Elsie, or something equally human-sounding. The Great Storm of '87 has a much more powerful ring to it, don't you think? I feel reverential about Storms (and I mean ones like the one we've got today: those that deserve respect, Proper Storms, not a touch of wind and rain). To me, Storms are semi-mythical, belonging firmly in the realm of Wild Nature not in the sphere of Human Beings and I don't want to give them cosy-sounding names as if they were a person I might meet in the playground or at the bakers.

Anyhoo, I was out in Imogen the Storm this afternoon. Doing a Farm Survey for a Countryside Stewardship project. We nearly got blown off our feet. Unfortunately, this happened just as we were struggling past an enormous pile of winter cattle bedding (complete with winter cattle poo) that had been dumped in one of the fields which was already several miles deep in mud. Imogen the Storm (who is clearly possessed of a sense of humour) chose that moment to summon up an extra ten miles an hour of wind speed to lash on top of the 57 she was already chucking at us, and Rob and I were blown onto the fence and forced to cling on to it and each other to prevent landing on the (disgusting) straw. The upside was we disturbed a pair of yellowhammers who took off into the wind, gamely struggling against it for a few fruitless seconds before giving up and landing in the straw a few feet from us. Birds like pooey straw, or rather, they like the insects that like the poo, and it made up for the near-yuk experience.

I had a hat on while we battled the elements (have you ever attempted to make notes on a piece of rain-spattered wind-torn A4 paper gamely pinned to a clipboard in a force 25 gale? It isn't easy) but despite this my ears were ringing when we regained the shelter of one of the classrooms (which felt absurdly hot and stuffy after being out in the hoolie), and in fact if I'm quiet now I can still hear the wind raging inside my own head. It's bit like picking up a shell at the beach and listening to the sea lapping inside it, only you can't put your head down and walk away from it for a few moments of peace.

When I got home it was to discover that Imogen the Storm had blown out the power and broken the central heating. Possibly because I expressed too much scorn at having to call her by a human name.

This won't be the last you'll hear from me on this subject (the naming of wind and rain I mean, not the broken heating, because hopefully Ian The Plumber is racing over on his metal steed to rescue me sort that out tomorrow morning. I say hopefully not least because I've just realised it's ten days since L last had a bath and although teenagers are happy as larks stewing in their own juices, it isn't especially pleasant for anyone else. Added to that M is out at Running Club - I know, it's ridiculous given that Imogen the Storm is currently battering our house with raindrops that have the pneumatic strength of pile drivers and wind that would wrench the hair out of your head never mind drying it- and is facing a definite Cold Shower when he gets home). Roll on tomorrow, eh?

Hope you're all well? Teddy has stopped itching! Yay!

CT :o)

28 comments:

  1. If you were really really grumpy you could leave L & M outside in the rain with a bottle of shower gel! I'm about to bellow for the third time for Harry to get a shower - wish me luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was out in the greenhouse when one of the biggest gusts hit. (Sensible is my middle name.) I swear I felt the building lift off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! Do as Jo suggests and put L outside with some soap and leave it at that! No entry until a good wash has been had. I am sure that Imogen can see to it. She is certainly blowing well here!! Hope that tomorrow gets better for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased to hear that Teddy is on the mend. Ben's new food seems to be hitting the spot, both in taste ( he scoffs it down) and in the itchy factor ( no scratching for 2 days)
    I will happily cook up a couple of batches each week if it carries on. I have to say that it smells delicious, I did wonder if the sage would be over powering but he does not mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ct,
    Good news re: the itch. If they are going to name a storm, couldn't they give it a more butch name?
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a bit much to name every single storm all year long like they're doing now. Hurricanes I don't mind, though, that's a long tradition and it doesn't bother me as much. I hope the storm doesn't cause too many problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a feeling you had more to say about the naming of storms. I'm not keen either. Maybe we should name rainbows and sunshine too. Very impressed with your survival qualities. Crazy weather isn't it. The heaviest rain I've ever seen yesterday evening. So pleased Ted is doing better, I hope he's completely well very soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the storm naming thing a newish phenomena? On this side of the pond, hurricanes have names, as do 'tropical storms' but other sorts don't. Even tornadoes are nameless beasts. I get a bit annoyed at the weather reporting these days...as they seem to have hired someone to write them who is perhaps entertaining notions of great literary accomplishment as they've tended toward ridiculously flowery to the point of requiring a raised eyebrow when reading.

    Good on you for braving The Storm -- you are most valiant.

    Super good news on the itch front! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meant to say, sorry about the loss of power and central heating and hot water (eek). I hope it's all fine soon. We had a couple of weeks with nothing hot a few winters ago. We went to the golf course for showers. It was surprisingly luxurious. Much better than the leisure centre anyway. I do hope L and M are able to find some hot water somewhere before too long. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you sometimes get to go out when the sun's out too, it's been especially rubbish lately for your jaunts. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this post really made me giggle! I was caught up in the calamities of the storm too.... It flipped my recycling bin upside down which resulted in me pelting it down the road in 4 sizes too big welly boots, chasing baked bean tins and sodding yoghurt pots!
    I empathise with the naming of storms, this one in particular as Imogen is my favourite girls name and I do not want it tarnished with memories of me running after recycling, swearing at the wind!

    countrybumble.blohspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good grief..you aren't selling the trip home at all well. Storms!!!!! Crikey Me! (send in an aussie accent).
    Glad you are okay even though the power and the central heating didnt survive the wrath of Imogen...(means innocent or last born) - now they are really having a laugh!
    Anyhoo...glad you got your survey done. I did giggle abit imagining the paper flying away just as you noted the last important point. (Sorry my wicked sense of humour). I'm tipping M ran faster last night too :-)))??? With the wind behind him.....
    Was the night and day any better?
    Naming storms is abit mad, but it seems everything has to have a name these days...cars, hurricanes...grandma's walking stick and Uncle Albert's teeth....not to mention the evil ones given to teachers!!!!!
    Roll on the next great storm it can be called The Even Bigger Storm.
    See you soonxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S So glad Ted is on the mend...roll on the summer it may clear up altogether. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't keep up with the storm names at the moment, it just seems to be one after the other. Hope your heating and hot water are fixed soon and that everyone can have a hot shower! So glad that Teddy is much better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm agreeing with you on the name thingy. We did not have storm after storm years ago. It was just winter! I hope your power comes back quickly! And hot water is restored! Hooray for Ted xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel the same way about the naming of storms, and yes they are part of a mythical nature to me too!
    I love a good storm but had to feel bad for the chooks when I saw a gust hit them yesterday... They hunkered down as low as possible and did a very awkward run to the carport for shelter!
    Happy to hear Ted is getting better xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. We think naming of storms is ridiculous! Wonder why they're suddenly started doing it now.. Glad Ted has stopped itching :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. We went out yesterday to photograph the waves on Hastings beach. It was blowing so hard I could not hold the camera straight and ended up taking a burst of 113 photos of the shingle.... Imogen is no name for a force of nature like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to hear Teddy is on the mend. We had a horrific storm several years ago on Ground Hog Day, thus, it was called the Great Ground Hog Gale. Something about personal names - Nah - Kinda boring to hear about Hurricane Bill or Leslie?? Hugs to Teddy and hope all is well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad that storm has blown over now. It was impressive, but I was bracing myself for damage. I'm with you on the names - I think one coming up will be called Wendy, for goodness sake! So pleased Ted is better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well I guess it lets us keep up with how very many storms we have been having this year. I see Henry was the eighth (as you might expect).
    You were very adventurous being out in the latest storm. I battened down the hatches until it started to ease off and then bravely went to the cinema to catch up with the latest Star Wars film.
    Today I found two big trees had fallen in the park thanks to Imogen.
    You were very lucky to see yellowhammers!
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post has just popped into my inbox so I'm a little after-the-event commenting. Hope power was restored, hot water flowed and your menfolk are now sweet-smelling. So glad to hear Ted's itch is not itching. Here's to a complete recovery. And I totally agree with you about the silly naming of the weather. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Imogen sounds like a craft shop lolol.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Storms A to H (that is eight in all) hit us right here in the North of England. It is rather good to find that number nine (no names no packdrill!) has chosen to visit the South of the country - but I don't expect it to last. The storms will be back. Hope the central heating and the bath water are soon restored.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can just see you holding onto each other as the wind blows, trying to write notes...
    The amount of storms we are having we will be at Zoe by the end of March :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wasn`t the 1987 Big Storm called Hurricane Charlie?!

    Good that you saw those yellowhammers despite "Imogen" doing her worst.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I couldn't agree more, having lived for 69 years windy and rainy weather is what we get in the winter.Would it have helped had we known it was a hurricane in 1987 !

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderfully refreshing post from someone who is obviously on the same wavelength as me about naming a bit of wind and rain!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x