Thursday, 17 December 2015

This And That










It's 15 degrees here today. Is anyone else longing for the time of ice and cold air? I'm badly missing frost that comes down with the gloaming, crisping blades of grass so they click and crunch beneath your feet, and silvering the trees. I miss the chill that should be lacing the air, rejuvenating it after the summer's heavy warmth. I want to watch as my breath materialises in front of me when the dogs and I go down through the woods beneath the place where the Red Kite soars and the Mistle Thrush sings, instead of strolling along the path glove-and-hat-less wearing wellies for the mud with summertime clothing for the air. It feels all wrong, like the season has gone awry. I'm sure Mother Nature knows what she's doing, so I just need to have a little faith in that Universal Balance thing she's so good at.

In other news, Poppy has started jumping over fences to get to her people and/ or  interesting-looking dogs who happen to be on the lane. For a small creature she can't half leap.That girl has springs under her paws, I swear. So far she has taken her angel with her each time and avoided a squashing, but it wouldn't be right to leave Getting Poppy Out Of Trouble Duty exclusively up to her angel (the poor woman would quickly become exhausted), so I foresee a festive period spent increasing the heights of the fences around the house and garden to Poppy-proof them. Ted maintains his dignity and declines fence-leaping and simply barks loudly whenever she does it to let me know she's being naughty. Again. 

Meanwhile, L has been busy booby-trapping the entire house with snappers he's filched from the insides of crackers. He's expert at removing them so you don't realise until you try to pull them during Christmas lunch and nothing happens. Last year I was on the point of ringing up Waitrose to complain at a defective bunch- what's the point of a cracker that doesn't crack- before he guiltily fessed up. I'd forgotten this propensity of his in the intervening twelve months, but was treated to a hearty reminder of it last night when I went to bed. Pushing our bedroom door open I was greeted by a small puff of smoke and a loud explosion accompanied by quite an impressive flash. I jumped out of my skin and clutched my heart and then became aware of cheering from his room. I got my own back accidentally this morning when I went in to wake him up for school and the banger secreted inside the door jamb exploded. I've never seen him shoot out of bed so fast. Clearly, a small explosive device set off inside their bedrooms is the way forward when it comes to getting recalcitrant teenagers out of bed.

Hope all are well?

CT :o) 




32 comments:

  1. Same here CT very mild and muddy, I'm wearing t-shirts under waterproofs instead of fleeces. Last Friday I saw a Red Admiral in the front garden and there are still a few bees about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing isn't it? The bees are out on our Daphne. Hope they're not in for a shock.

      Delete
  2. Love the woodpecker, I think when we move I am going to go back to the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! reading this about the crackers is soo funny you see we have a teen like that in our house too...
    best wishes D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a comfort to read we are not alone :o) Thanks for the comment, Daisy (just off to make your tissue holders...) x

      Delete
  4. It's unusually warm here too. We should have some snow at least by now but it's been foggy and rainy so not very festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- doesn't feel festive when it's warm weather.

      Delete
  5. Teenagers eh? Who would have 'em? Sadly it is a stage we all have to go through and endure - but luckily what comes out the other end is well worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And me, I don't like the warmth in the air. I walked home from work today without my hat & gloves on!!! & the heating hasn't been on!! I want that frosty tingle feeling on my face - I really miss it. Oh that pesky Poppy she really is a naughty little hound isn't she! Snorting at the snaps, my teenager hasn't done anything like that although the little brat is rather attached still to a remote controlled hairy spider which from time to time crawls up my legs when I'm in bed. Hope you are well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My God Jo, I would have a FIT if that happened here :o( XX

      Delete
  7. If the sun was out I'm sure red admirals would have been flying. I can walk around quite happily in a T Shirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flutterbys are out here too. Roll on a cold snap...

      Delete
  8. Although I have no desire for snow, I do wish that it was colder and I think that we need the colder temperatures. Everything in our garden seems to be very confused! Not sure that I could take Poppy's jumping, that would terrify me, but so would the cracker snaps! Which is worse!! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like 2-day snow, after that I get a bit twitchy. Pop's jumping is a worry. She's been very lucky not to get squashed. She's the smallest member of the family by a long way and gets herself into more scrapes than the rest of us put together. It's Jack Russell Law I believe :o) Happy Christmas to you too, my friend XX

      Delete
  9. Lovely to see the woodpeckers back isn't it? Ours trapped me in the greenhouse today.. couldn't bear to disturb him whilst he was on the nut feeder :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I have to contort myself to get any kind of photo without scaring him off :o)

      Delete
  10. I'm laughing my head off here!!! Well done mum getting your own back! I'm teary at the view of your cavelo Nero. Remember my photos from the summer? Le sigh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. First Sparrow-related showing off, and now vegetable-boasting. XX

      Delete
  11. The birds have been singing extra loudly at dawn and dusk here, I'm worried they think that spring is on the way. I laughed out loud at the cracker bangs story. I have a whole packet of them I could put your way to save him having to winkle them out of the crackers... Dear Poppy, she is such a character. Good luck with the fence building. The people in the lane must be surprised when a small dog flies through the air towards them. Maybe that's why she does it, to see the looks on their faces, I bet it's hilarious. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leant out the window at 7.25 this morning and listened to the Dawn Chorus. I am Very Worried they're all going to start nesting :o(
      Thank you for the kind snapper offer. Luckily, I found a spare packet in the Christmas Box (no doubt their purchase was necessitated by last year's filching). I'm giving him a packet in his stocking (that way my Christmas Day Crackers have a fighting chance of making it to lunch time). And as for Miss P. Well. I am keeping a Very Close Eye on her indeed until the fence has got bigger XX

      Delete
  12. I can't agree with you more, I want Jack Frost so much. Wet, windy and mild here, it is like living under a low grey bowl! Daffs and spring blossom appearing. I hope you get your fences raised before Poppy leaps again, it is quite amazing how high a wee dog can get. Apparently they can be trained to respect fence boundaries but how long would that take, Eek! Also, top marks to both Teenager and Mum for pranking and counter-prank. Never a dull mo in CT land. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm whispering a secret prayer for frost for us on Christmas morning :o) Hope all's well with all of you? Have a very merry Christmas XX

      Delete
  13. Ha ha that'll teach him! Have a great Christmas and many thanks for your entertaining posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I doubt it will! :o) So pleased you're enjoying the blog x

      Delete
  14. I love a prank! Made me chuckle. My brother was always good at those. Stink bombs at school!!!! I knew but never let on! L is clearly quite clever!!!! :)
    My mum mentioned the unseasonably warm weather in Alton, and The Running Wave Blog (the writer is a friend) mentioned the same on one of her walks...and that is Scotland!!!!
    I hope you get your cold snap.
    We on the other hand are basking (and I say that really thinking how yuk it is) in 41c heat today.
    Revolting.
    Locked in doors with aircon, having got up early to do all the chores, dog walking the terrier and the kelpie and washing which is crisp in about 30 seconds.
    Christmas Day is set to be a stinker!!!
    Your cheeky dog...made me laugh...when they get a fixture, the brain clouds with the red mist of naughtiness and they just go for it...
    Happy Christmas prep and I hope you get your cold day very soon....love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Running Wave too :o) Can't imagine Christmas in 41 degree heat. I expect getting up super early is the only way forward. Hope all's well xx

      Delete
  15. So you have a naughty tinker of a son as well as a dog (or two)! Love the Woody photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we're all naughty in this house! x

      Delete
  16. Hey CT,
    I might booby trap the house with the inside of crackers myself. It's just the kind of thing that would amuse me. Even more than people tripping over their own feet.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x