Monday, 7 December 2015

Salted Caramel Cheesecake Recipe (and beeswax lip balm, but not altogether)

Well, you did ask. 

If you put them in ramekins they don't feel as guilt-inducing..... :o)

Salted Caramel & Chocolate Cheesecake:
 
Base:  200g digestives or ginger biscuits, 50g melted butter whizzed together in a food processor and then pressed into the base of your tin/ ramekins and shoved in fridge to set while you prepare the rest.

Filling: 300g soft cheese, 400ml double cream, 5 tbsp icing sugar, a blob of vanilla extract.

Caramel: 75g butter, 50g soft light brown sugar, 50g caster sugar, 50g golden syrup, 100ml double cream, dollop of sea salt.

Chocolate Topping: 200g milk chocolate, 100ml double cream.

Method: 
Caramel
1. Put butter, sugars, syrup and double cream in heavy-bottomed pan and melt till golden in colour.
2. Stir in salt to taste and set to one side to cool.

Filling:
1. Whisk cream cheese, double cream, icing sugar and vanilla together to form soft peaks.
2. Stir in caramel mix. You can either leave it streaky or combine it completely.
3. Spoon the filling on to the base and put back in fridge while you make the topping.

Topping:
1. Melt the chocolate with the double cream and mix to a creamy consistency over a low heat.
2. Pour over the cheesecakes and leave to set in fridge for 2-3 hours.

Eat :o)


Beeswax Lip Balm
This recipe will make you between 8-10 x 15ml pots of firm ish consistency lip balm. It's worth noting that this mixture can also be used as a salve for cuts, scratches, burns, rashes, ulcers, split thumbs etc. Try to get the beeswax from your local bee keepers if you can- it's fresher and has generally had nothing done to it beyond filtering through rain water so it's pure as pure can be.

4 tbsp beeswax (1oz)

8 tbsp oil (I use olive, sweet almond, or rosehip, depending on what I have to hand).

Method: heat the wax and the oil together slowly in a bowl set over water. Hot wax is highly flammable so don't leave it unattended at any point, and make sure the saucepan doesn't run dry. When the wax has melted, mix it with a wooden spoon then pour the mixture into your pots. Leave them to cool then screw the lid on. It will keep unopened for ages, although once opened remember that bacteria can get in to it from your hands so you may want to open a new pot every few months. 

Good luck with all the baking and making- let me know how you get on! 

CT :o)

30 comments:

  1. Thankyou for the cheesecake recipe I will be making this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is dead easy and very tasty :o)

      Delete
  2. Thanks CT. Now I just need to buzz my friendly local beekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Homemade lip balm is lovely stuff :o)

      Delete
  3. Hey CT,
    My thighs can't cope with this recipe.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stomach is agreeing with your thighs (that sounds altogether wrong!)xx

      Delete
  4. Love Leanne's comment above!
    Intend to make this to try and if it works I shall make it for one of my Boxing Day buffet treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it'll go down a treat- it did here!

      Delete
  5. Dare I say - my salted caramel cheesecake will be a large one. Actually it's a white chocolate & baileys cheesecake with salted caramel spread on top. Oh I can't wait :). I will give the lip balm a go, I'm sure they sell beeswax at the farm shop xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, sounds lovely! We're all going to need to go running after Christmas at this rate! xx

      Delete
  6. i'm not sure there's enough double cream in the cheesecake recipe. :0 When it comes to things like this, I'm fond of the old adage "If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch with the pups." *dribble* Definitely on my to-make list.


    I'm glad you posted these -- I've been having a devil of a time with commenting lately -- the little boxes have been invisible for some reason which escapes me. Likely the Google Overlords having a bit of a laugh at my expense.

    much love to you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee re the cream :o) Apologies too for not replying to your last email- I have been snowed under with college work, thankfully now drawing to a close pre-crimble, so I will sit down and reply properly. Hope all's well, love to you all XX

      Delete
  7. Oh my. I hung back coolly knowing someone else would ask for this recipe and then it wouldn't look like I was desperate to eat cheesecake or anything. I am writing it in my little red book immediately. Thank you for not letting me down. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Sneaky, Mrs CJ :o) We've just had a small pot each for pudding (there were 4 left, I accidentally made too many- how careless of me) and it is yumshus (is that a word?) xx

      Delete
  8. Oh nice and (I think!) reasonably easy to make. You have me thinking now about beeswax, some of my fellow allotmenteers are bee-keepers...yet another project to add to the very long list. :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy to make and quick too so a keeper on all counts :o) Excellent re the bee-keeping allotmenteers- no excuse now you know. You'll have the softest lips in Ireland :o) XX

      Delete
  9. Oh that cheesecake just sound divine!!! Ramekins are probably a good way to go to stop you eating the whole thing in one go!! E-mail me about the shawl and we can discuss! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear :o) Is your email on your blog? If not could you drop me a line with it in through comments and I'll delete instead of publish? XX

      Delete
  10. Thank you very much for the balm recipe. I'm going to make some asap.
    jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that cheesecake sounds just TERRIBLE. No way I'll be making that. Ew. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hideous. Definitely not worth the bother of making it. Especially not for family over Christmas (or for yourself, if you ever feel in need of a lift) :o) xx

      Delete
  12. I have some very large ramekins.. perfect for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have visions of pie-sized containers.... :o) x

      Delete
  13. Love the sound of that cheesecake.... so many dangerous eatables around now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true- I am trying to pace myself and not really succeeding! :o)

      Delete
  14. I'm printing this out and making it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x