Sunday, 27 December 2015

After The Event









As is traditional with my husband's family, I have eaten two Christmas lunches this week. One, we cooked here for everyone on The Day, and the second was provided by my mother in law (who finds it unbearable to go through the Christmas period without cooking at least one turkey) on Boxing Day, at a gathering of the elder statesmen and women of the clan. As a result, you will find a photo of Uncle Charles and Uncle Peter with my father in law above. Uncle Charles is on the far right (with the glasses) and Uncle Peter (aged about 93 but sharp as a pin) is in the middle.

As is traditional, Uncle Peter recited a poem he'd written about the family while we all drank ice cold champers and ate prawn nibbles recycled from the Village Drinks Party at the end of November. Uncle Charles then gave us the full story behind the undertaker-turned-magician he'd met during his recent stay in hospital (which I mentioned a few posts ago). It turned out this was an extraordinary man who'd come through incredible things in his life, notably fleeing Germany as a child during the war and being taught English by a kind woman in her spare time whilst training to be a cabinet maker in the UK, his father having been shot during the war and the family left destitute. Uncle Charles has a knack of getting people to open up, probably because he listens and asks the right questions, but also because having the sparkliest eyes you'll ever see and a huge laugh to go with them rarely proves to be a handicap in life :o)

Anyhoo, there were some splendid anecdotes, as always. Among my favourites were Uncle Peter taking bets with his side of the family on Christmas day about how many bottles of fizz they'd get through (he bet 9, they got through 14 between 6 of them!) and then telling us how he'd been unable to take his false teeth out at night because he couldn't kiss properly without them. Then there was Uncle Charles revealing that he only has two working teeth of his own and Grandad shouting at him to repeat the story because he'd been chewing turkey at the time and couldn't hear a word. 

There were lots of conversations that run thusly: 

Me: 'how are you, Charles?'
Charles: 'At about half past one.'
M: 'No Charles, we're asking how you are?'
Uncle Peter: 'Five bottles.'
Grandad: 'What is it you're all saying?'
Me (trying unsuccessfully to stifle an attack of the giggles) : 'I have absolutely no idea.'

Today, I am mostly detoxing while finishing the clearing up and looking after T and P's doggy cousins who have come to stay for the day. Dougal (pic above) is spending most of the day hiding under the table while Dylan has gone out for an hour's run with M and Poppy over the hills. Teddy, meanwhile, has taken over Dylan and Dougal's bed and is lying on it with his new Christmas Tree toy (as per pics).

I got a new food mixer from M and am trying to think up a suitable name for her. She's cream and looks very elegant in the kitchen. If you've got any thoughts on that score let me know. L got an Xbox 1 and has already had it removed for a period of time due to unreasonable (in my eyes, but perfectly reasonable in his) behaviour. Roll on the start of term.

We've a rash of sociable goings on to get through this week and various clearing out chores which I am looking forward to because I like the feeling of lightness you get by recycling old/ outdated/ no longer required things, and I prefer to travel light. Other than that it's an easy week ahead before we all gear up for work/ school/ uni/ college again.

How about all of you?

CT :o)

28 comments:

  1. Nice to see the great tits, I put up my new Niger Feeder Christmas Eve and had a Surprise I saw a couple of Goldfinches Christmas Day, I was thrilled. Glad you had a lovely time, I will be having a detox starting from tommorow, we are tackling the Cheese board later xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long tailed tits :o) (must be all that cheese). Great news about your goldfinches- I know you'll be thrilled x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Honestly John, they have me in stitches :o)

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how you manage to stifle those giggles, they sound such characters. Tavi has pulled one of his toys apart! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three brothers are sooo funny when they all get together, hearing aids whistling away :o) T and P say well done Tavi, they are working on theirs! xx

      Delete
  4. Dislike the start of term boo hiss, though I nodded in parental agreement. I bloody hate X boxes!
    Laughed at the family do and I've just eaten my 2nd Sunday Dinner and I can't move now!

    I think your mixer should have a name that begins with C.
    Beryl is Betyl because she is Boysenberry.
    My friend has a Wilma ( white )
    My suggestions for you are
    Celia
    Cynthia
    Clarissa
    Candice
    Or Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been watching Halo something or other being played- the graphics on the new one look just like a film! I will miss him when he goes back :o)
      Excellent mixer name suggestions. I am hovering between Cynthia, Celia and Clarissa, with an edge towards Cynthia. :o) XX

      Delete
  5. Your mixer HAS to be a Sybil, but I hope shes not faulty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous conversation, and I love the pictures of the uncles and your father-in-law, they all sound huge fun. Glad you're having a good Crumble, two turkey dinners and a new mixer is good fortune indeed. If she's very elegant in the kitchen, how about Margot? CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot is a contender too. Oh dear, now I'll have to choose! (M thinks we are all being very sexist only considering female names, so it'll probably end up Brian as that's my go-to boys name for everything :o) ). XX

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've had a great time, love the reminiscences, that's what it's all about. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to the Old Boys is always Pure Comedy Gold :o) x

      Delete
  8. Love the conversations - sounds like you all had a wonderful time :) Lovely to see the LTT's - number of birds visiting the feeders is slowly increasing here :)

    The new mixer sounds a rather lovely present - good luck with the naming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a lovely Celebration Of Family Festive Period here. :o)

      Delete
  9. Could you not name it after one of your past TV boyfriends? I've been cleaning and washing today after days without any housework done. I keep looking at the wallpaper and thinking that "I'll do it tomorrow" so obviously not getting very far. Yes a detox today and curry for dinner tonight for a change and easy to cook. We are having a day out tomorrow so looking forward to a rest from all things 'housey'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh now, there's an idea. Only I've forgotten who most of them are! Viking, I know that was one :o) X

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you all had a super fun time I do love a good Christmas shindig! Ohh a new mixer & a fancy one too - mines still in a blinking box with lots of other things :( Looking forward to the naming xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that on the back of Kitchen Renovations? You are a Patient Woman, Jo :o) XX

      Delete
  11. Those three old boys must make any gathering extra special. Are they brothers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed. And there is a fourth sibling, a lady who sadly lives miles off. The boys are a Hoot when they get together :o)

      Delete
  12. oh, I'm SO glad you posted a photo of The Uncles -- they've become Epic in my mind. I do hope someone's remembering the details of their stories -- one of the things I regret after losing my Lovely Nanna is not writing down all of her marvelous stories. Thankfully, I remember most of them so jot them down as the details come up. I often wonder whether anyone will bother writing *my* anecdotes down some day...and then remind myself that the life of a relative hermit doesn't make for very interesting story fodder. :)

    I hope you find a good name for your new mixer -- these sorts of things need names worthy of their marvelousness and, in this case, elegance. Impulsively, I just came up with "Dolly"...as in Dolly Mixture...Dolly Mixer....see what I did there? :P I'm sure something suitable will seep into your subconscious.

    Your Chrimbly social calendar resembles ours...thankfully, we attended our last engagement yesterday which was one too many, in my humble opinion. I need about a week's worth of sleep to feel human again, I think.

    Happy decluttering and general tidying -- I like to do that during the week between Chrimbles and New Year....tidying up the detritus of the old year and all that.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly- love it! If you are anything to go by, I know I would enjoy your Nanna's words of wisdom.

      Thank you for your most recent letter which dropped in to my email and has been read and enjoyed. A reply was intended but I know- I am being a shockingly bad email correspondent at present! Do know that you are thought of though and once everyone has gone back to school/ work/ uni I shall put finger to keyboard....Promise :o) XXX

      Delete
  13. The Three Stooges strike again. Priceless laughter. Such a great time of year for everyone but very special for the older generation who get to see all their family. Something money cant buy!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey CT,
    Li,g tailed tits, and the three musketeers in one post. Brilliant!
    Leanne. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x