Friday, 2 October 2015

This And That

I've been let loose on the first years. I should have been let loose on them last week but the concussion forced me to take the day off. Very Grumpy about it I was. Anyway, they are a lovely bunch and we had a nice hour together being creative about approaching degrees, which worked well and I now feel I know them a little better (even some of their fifteen names- by which I mean there are fifteen of them, not that they have fifteen names each. That would not be good for learning, especially when you are a person who can do faces with ease but really struggles to remember names. I frequently call Ted L and L Ted, you see). Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to next week. I think they enjoyed it- they all said goodbye and see you next week anyway :o)

Earlier in the week I did a two hour lecture on Dormice for the second years which was also fun. I shared it with my boss, who is a lovely chap. I think we made an OK Double Act. And then on Weds I took T & P to a local wood and met up with everyone to do a nut search as Dormice leave a tell-tale munching pattern on hazelnuts which is different to wood mice or voles. The dogs had a ball, largely because pretty much every one of the 24 students gave them Constant Cuddles :o) We didn't find any signs of Dormice, but it was Perfect Weather and a treat to spend three hours in Ancient Woodland beneath the dappled shade. I'm off to the Isle of Wight later this month to do a Dormouse search in a wood which has a healthy population, including babies! (I shall take pictures).

Today, M has a day off work and has timed it perfectly with the most gorgeous weather. I have just succumbed to another new plant for the garden- a Dwarf Aster. It was covered in bees when I picked it up and I apologised profusely to them for disturbing them. M wondered if the bees came free with it but I left them there. I've put it next to the Caryopteris and already a bee person has visited...


This is largely thanks to CJ who mentioned seeing Asters covered in bees. I have been determined to get one since :o)

Ragged Robin's Apple On A Stick has worked!


Our resident Comma has been on it all day, apart from when a Humongous Hornet came along and unceremoniously shoved her off. She bravely flicked her wings at it but it just literally pushed her off the apple. I was so incensed I got a stick and ooshed the hornet away. At which point it turned round and went straight for me and chased me round the garden. I was accompanied by gales of laughter from M who was watching. It worked thought- I escaped, the hornet flew off over the roof and the Comma returned to her apple, rather beautifully showing off just why they are called commas... M asked whether there were any other Grammatically Correct flutterbys but I don't think there are, not in the UK anyway :o)


Dew lies heavy on the ground-level plants despite the sunshine, it being October and all.....


And the leaves in the beech hedge are turning....


The apples continue to fall from the tree although there are fewer of them now...


And the Dahlias continue to bloom, as they have all summer long, bless them...



Other signs of the turning season are the Michaelmas Daisies who have just come into bloom...


And the number of Southern Hawker Dragonflies who are about, like this one who landed right next to me in the garden just now. They'll be here until November, as long as the weather remains clement...


Have I mentioned my Callicarpa.....? :o) It now has a spider web adornment.

 
Poppy has been right as rain this week. How strange it all is. I caught her fast asleep in a pool of sunlight on the back of the sofa yesterday with her chin resting on the duck cushion. She looked so comfy I didn't have the heart to move her...


And today she's decided her favourite place to be is in my flower bed!


I've been doing a little sewing this week, making birthday presents for one of my nieces who will soon be eighteen. A Foxy shopping bag lined with brightly coloured stars and a little purse..



You can't beat homemade. M has taken this to heart and is giving her a bottle of his homebrew, complete with her own personalised label...  (ignore the toast behind it, that's for something else).


I think that's about all from here for now. I am on Imminent Taxi Duty this afternoon and am expecting a 'pick me up now' message from L at any moment, so I'll love you and leave you and wish you all a Happy Weekend. Hope you have a lovely one, whatever you are doing.

CT :o)

30 comments:

  1. Poppy is such a pretty little dog....I would not have moved her either.
    Who does not like resting bathed in sunlight:)

    I have dormice in the garden. I accidentally disturbed one during the winter months amongst the leaf litter. I swiftly put it back and all was well.

    Love your dahlia....oh how I wish I could grow them here. Rabbits just will not leave them alone, so I have given up.

    Lovely post........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely jealous that you have Dormice in your garden! How wonderful. The earwigs usually get my dahlias so I cheated and bought two at the start of summer- they have been marvellous :o)

      Delete
  2. Hey CT,
    After a whole summer without spotting a single Comma, you can imagine my delight to see one in the garden this afternoon. She was enjoying the verbena boriensis. My Dahlias jusy haven't flowered this year. They were amazing last year, and I'm wondering whether they like to have a year off. I really should put all this into a blog post, but I am lurgy ridden and shattered.
    Have a fab weekend. We are set for good weather, and the dog beach ban is up!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it odd how that happens? Right place, right time I guess. I often wonder what's been in ours that I've missed.
      I am missing your posts my dear... Have a lovely, restorative weekend xx

      Delete
  3. I think the Comma is probably my favourite butterfly and your photographs of it really do it justice. They show that 'eye' to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely and one of the few left flying at this time of the year :o)

      Delete
  4. Lovely shot of the butterfly, I have never seen one, I will have to look out for one. Your little dog is such a cutie, I love the photo of her catching the sun. Love the Ale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get Commas in Cornwall. They'll still be around while the dry weather lasts :o)

      Delete
  5. You've reminded me that I saw quite a few butterflies on the windfall fruit at the country park last year, I must go again soon and have a look for them. Lovely to see you have an aster now, I am on the lookout for one too. Well done on the gifts, they're brilliant, I'm so impressed. I like the beer label as well, no doubt it will be very well received. Wishing you and yours a good weekend. Nice to see that Poppy is feeling herself again, I love the photo of her asleep on the duck cushion. That's the life. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear :o) Yes, a lovely if busy weekend, hence my late reply- hope you had a lovely one too XX

      Delete
  6. Glad that all went well with the first years - that sounds like a line from Malory Towers or something doesn't it! - and that you enjoyed it! Great sewing of course as always! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. As well as lots of butterflies I am noticing lots of hairy caterpillars hiding in the garden. Another good reason not to do too much garden tidying before the spring. I'm thinking that tote bags (fabric or crochet) could make good Christmas presents this year and I followed your idea of putting windfalls on sticks down at the allotment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen many pillars here this year. Same here re totes for Xmas, I have a pile I am steadily adding too! x

      Delete
  8. At least you managed to leave Poppy alone...I find it difficult to keep my hands off the dogs when they lie sleeping somewhere - they're just soo cute..!
    I just want to take this opportunity to apologize for the translation of my latest picture-filled post on my blog - should you happen to read it! Google has really managed to mess it up completely...! 'Math' (ie matte) is NOT mathematics; it is what we call a female dogowner. And I call my littlest guy for Kaxmört which can be translated into 'little tough guy'.... just to help you along:) Otherwise you can just enjoy the pics ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the translate errors on your blog, they do make me smile :o) I noticed my comment to the doggies translated as 'thank you for doing the mail' instead of post! x

      Delete
  9. Poppy's a sweetheart soaking up the sunshine :) Thanks so much for the tip on the cod liver oil ... I'm pretty sure I've seen this at the drug store. Brave of you to shoo away a hornet, I think they were born to be angry. You're lucky he didn't catch you! Your fancy butterfly must have done a little happy dance with the hornet was sent packing. You have a fun job to go to the woods to hunt up some dormice, sorry you didn't find any though. The dogs probably think you have the best job ever!! Have a wonderful weekend.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed re the oil- I do hope it helps him. Hornets, yes, grumpy things! x

      Delete
  10. What a sweet pooch your Poppy is! Rest for animals is second nature... We should all take more time to have those special zzzzz's.
    Home crafted gifts are special and what you made is very lovely! She will love them... I would!
    The home brew is fab! Such unique presents!
    Don't know much about Dormice but I think - like all small creatures- they have a cuteness that makes them so very appealing!
    Enjoy all your lovely craft... And maybe some home brew yourself!!!!!!!!!
    And lastly enjoy the Indian Summer that appears to be in full swing!
    Our summer is on the way.... 30c today!!!!!
    Hot!
    Have a great weekend! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a bit of a cutie pie. Hope you get a lovely summer- ours seems to have faded into October rain this week :o) xx

      Delete
  11. Love the close up of the Comma and apple. Now Poppy is just adorable. Glad you are feeling A1 again. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I meant to say congrats at your first week of teaching!! I'm glad it went well.
    L xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pleased to see the apples on sticks idea is attracting a Comma. Most visits to ours have been from Commas although butterflies over the last couple of days have disappeared as its gone colder. Sadly, I can't say the same about Large Yellow Underwings!

    The sewing looks lovely - I am sure your niece will be so pleased.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll on MDJs! Flutter numbers absent here now the rain has come. Thanks for the apple tip- it was great to see it working x

      Delete
  14. Great shots, very envious of getting your dragonfly to sit still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather surprised how long he/ she sat there for!

      Delete
  15. My Jack does the same thing as Poppy - always love to have the head on a pillow or toy. You are the busiest person I know and you must have an abundance of energy to get through just a day. ha,ha Love the bag and small purse - just lovely. Have a wonderful Sunday. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleeping dogs are so comfy looking. Nice to hear from you- hope all is well xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x