Friday, 9 October 2015

Friday At Last













 


 



 


One of those weeks. You know, where you don't stop? Today is the first day I have had time to pause, to listen, to watch and to hear.

So far, this week has consisted of: baking a chocolate cake for the weekend. Clearing three piles of washing and folding and putting away most of what's in the airing cupboard. Acknowledging that the apples at the gate have probably finished being collected and putting the remainder in the compost. I have yet to tidy away those that have fallen this week and are lying on the ground. I have re-arranged my college work in a folder and printed off three assignments which are currently sitting quietly in said folder waiting to be looked at. I have caught up with some of my college friends from last year over a hot water in the canteen. I have guided the first years through a debate on the badger cull and somehow managed to prevent it descending into a fight. I have handled domestic mice in a classroom session. I have stood in the middle of a field amid unreasonably heavy rain while a black Labrador attempted to hide beneath my legs watching porous pots being sunk 90cm into the Chalk under the Cover Crops. I have chatted to the farmer and been impressed at his knowledge of soil chemistry and his commitment to his cause. I have done my GCSE Geography Homework and advanced my knowledge on world poverty and potential solutions as a result (I now know about the Poor Card, for example). I have been to the dentist and had my teeth admired. I have sewn a button on my husband's shorts and re-hemmed his work trousers, narrowly surviving a too-close-for-comfort wolf spider incident (it ran over my foot while I was ironing the hem.). I have bought Poppy a comfy new bed and not been surprised when Teddy is the one who goes to sleep in it. I have designed a winter coat for Ted which I am making this afternoon out of an old fleece I don't wear. I have resisted the temptation to buy a new jumper. I have chatted to the Comma and the Red Admiral who are still in the garden near the apples, and I have picked up a Devil's Coach Horse beetle that Poppy pointed out by looking at me and wagging her tail Like Mad. I have lain in bed listening to the Tawny Owls chatting at night and I have been woken up by our Wren singing at 6am outside the window. I have been running with Pop and Ted through pouring rain and talked to our new neighbours who have a chocolate Lab. I have lost my Marbled Orb Weaver spider who was living in the Bean Tree. This is a shame because she was really very pretty and I wanted to show her to you all. I have, however, gained a new spider who is living in my car and keeps leaving the most perfect webs attached to the steering wheel. I have been hit on the head by an acorn while walking the dogs through the woods (I swear an Elf threw it). I have stocked up on birdseed, peanuts and coconut halves filled with suet and meal worms because our heating is now on for an hour in the morning and the fire is mostly being lit at night and I figure when that happens it's time to feed the birds. I have purchased Christmas wrapping paper. I have bought loads of salad for the weekend because I feel the need to eat it and refresh myself from the inside, and asparagus soup and wholemeal rolls for lunch today.

How has your week been?

CT :o)

34 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, I love your little doggies they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the loveliest of friends and companions :o)

      Delete
  2. Funny how suddenly one feels the need to consume large quantities of salad isn't it? I love to make a large mixed one with a light dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And drink lots of water. It must be last weekend on the boat catching up with me! x

      Delete
  3. Life sounds pretty good with you I think. So much going on, it makes me happy just to read about it. All has been ridiculously manic here. Rushing from one thing to the next with ten minutes in between. This is one of the ten minute breaks, although I'm down to about seventeen seconds now. I have the pleasure of the Beavers (baby cubs, not actual beavers, sadly) for two and a half hours tonight. Normally it's an hour, but I lucked out with a trip on the minibus. I shall be spending the next three hours bracing myself. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good, if a little too busy sometimes (but then I'd be bored otherwise!). Two and a half hours of Baby Cubs sounds like an endurance test the SAS should consider incorporating :o) XX

      Delete
  4. I've had a busy week too. Mostly mothering duties but with other stuff thrown in for good measure. Yours sounds fulfilling and interesting. We haven't put the heating on yet but I have felt the need for a hot water bottle on a couple of nights. It is much chillier at each end of the day. Love the pics of your dogs. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I resist heating as long as possible and much prefer the log fire, but we've definitely needed it here this week. Only an hour, but even so :o)

      Delete
  5. Gosh, what a busy week. Glad to hear you're fortifying yourself from within. I think you spoil your family with all those delicious cakes, but there is nothing like coming home from school on a Friday afternoon to the smell of cake baking. Ted and Pops are still looking quite sleek after their haircuts. Will you make Poppy a coat too if the prototype for Teddy turns out well? Have a lovely weekend CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- the smell of home baking is lovely to come back to. And because the cake is enormous, even my teenage boys and cycling/ running husband haven't been able to make much of a dent in it....yet!
      Pops has a coat already, one which Ted always tries to put his head through. He's been wearing his with a big grin on his face ever since I finished it yesterday! x

      Delete
  6. Hey CT,
    It's been one of those weeks here too, my lovely. No college work, although I'm thinking I'd love the challenge. 8 (8!) new counseling clients have been given the introductory Leanne treatment. It's wired to be back in the saddle. But good too. There are still lots of flutters fluttering here. I guess the mild weather is encouraging play? Oh and there is a moth (I think) that has taken up residence by the front door. I shall post a picture. I'm sure I've seen one like him on your blog. Doesn't look like a moth, cause his wings are rolled up? Or am going mad, and it's something else entirely.
    Enjoy the cake. And the salad.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mums are such busy folk, always something to do for someone somewhere. I think you would enjoy college- loads of courses available, worth a look around? As to your moth, I am intrigued. Do get a piccy and bung it on your blog and I'll take a look XX

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos CT - sounds a very busy week! Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure where my week got to; I had so many things I wanted to do in preparation for Xmas, but it feels like I've gotten nothing at all done...
    Lovely pics of doggies:) My oldest always is the first to try out new soft comfy doggy-places...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They go like that sometimes don't they? x

      Delete
  9. Busy not working, but cycling, running, and writing. That's a very late comma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been around for a couple of weeks so I'm thinking it won't last much longer :o)

      Delete
  10. Not as busy as yours, but for a 76 year old (yikes, is that really me!) still busy enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies past doesn't it? I don't know where this year has gone :o)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great week CT, very busy but packed with interest. A hectic week here too, thank goodness for the weekend. No heating on yet, we have had weeks of glorious autumn sunshine! That birdseed looks lovely, I was expecting a recipe. Perhaps I need to eat some salad! Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps have been dropping away at night here. I am layered up to the eyeballs! x

      Delete
  12. When you actually write down what a woman does in a week, it's an outstanding array of skills and multi tasking! Wow!
    Have a glass of vino and a slice of choccy cake and re muster all that energy for the weekend and the week to follow!
    Ted and Pops are so lovely... Perfect pooches! Our Ed (Red Kelpie) and Murray (JR X) would love the kinda walks and surroundings you have!
    Though they are lucky with two different walks per day and often that involves the beach!
    I'm back to Uni on 26th Oct to do a Cert in Teaching... To tutor secondary aged children! My previous degree was many moons ago! I'm looking forward to activating the brain cells again!
    We have a very busy garden maintenance business... I'm the accounts/admin worker bee- but helping kids with school work is a passion!
    Are you a teacher?
    Loving your blog! If you have any photos of your surrounding villages or New Forest... I would love to see! Are requests permitted???
    Have a fab weekend and once again lovely photos! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing an ecology degree but have a part time job tutoring the new first year degree students on the course, study coach/ support type of thing. I have discovered a love of lecturing so may pursue that once the degree is done. Your course sounds v interesting.
      Requests definitely permitted and I will do my best to get out and take some photos for you :o) XX

      Delete
  13. Beautiful images showing your world, through your eyes.

    Us woman are amazing..........we manage to juggle everything and still have time of post on our blogs and tell all about it.

    I love your dogs.....your photography shows such a love of them.
    I understand, I am a dog lover. I always have a dog in my life.

    Fabulous post.............well done you.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super-Women! Agree about dogs- man's/ woman's best friend and all that :o) x

      Delete
  14. your Ted puts me in mind of Yoda - only with more hair. he seems Moste Wise.

    it's been something of a Week here, as well. but in a happily moving forward way, rather than a tire-spinning, tail-chasing sort of way. which excuses the madness somewhat. got a good start on Chrimbles myself...i've set myself a lofty goal of being done with the Necessary Shopping by mid-November (at the latest) so i can settle into the Making with smug satisfaction. that's the plan anyway. ;)

    it's gloriously autumnal here - which makes me all manner of happy and lifts my spirits ever so much. so long, summer...don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out. ;)

    xo

    ps. bird-feeding supplies are also being stock-piled -- although i haven't put the heating on yet. we like to challenge ourselves as to how much cold we can withstand before breaking down....:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy is Mr Zen, unless something worries him, then he's Mr Panic :o) I also aim to get Crimble licked early because it's way more enjoyable as a process that way. I hate feeling squished by it and resentful because it's a time of year I adore. Am making some presents this afternoon as it happens.... Have a lovely weekend my friend XX

      Delete
    2. "I hate feeling squished by it and resentful because it's a time of year I adore." <--- exactly! xo

      Delete
    3. Mel, I too undertake this personal challenge! So far - the radiators are still cold!! Not lit a fire yet because I need to get the chimney swept!

      Delete
  15. You have been so busy! My iPad wanted to write busty !!!
    Well done on the Geography GCSE- I think you are on track for an A* at least! I'm a bit in denial about Dec the 25th this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busty ;-). I better had get an a star :-). Xx

      Delete
  16. Hi there

    Much enjoying the blog as always

    My MduJ came last night for its 2015 debut - sure yours'll be with you soon. When I saw your first pic, I thought it had arrived. Me, I want a Clifden Nonpareil. All warm wishes, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your mdj this morning - glad to know they're on the wing. Fingers crossed for a cnp.... :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x