Saturday, 5 September 2015

The Lurid Running Shorts Get Their Park Run Debut, And Sewing Ahead...

M and I did a Park Run this morning. Not sure of the Official Time yet because they haven't put the results up, but according to our GPS we finished in a little over 26 mins, knocking 30 seconds or so off our last time which is GREAT and Very Pleasing. I say 'we' but actually I mean me, because my husband (when unencumbered by his wife) can whizz round these things in about 18 mins :o) 

I put my New Personal Best down to the training I do with my Regular Furry Running Companion. Although she has very tiny legs, she can't half move them. I Rather Suspect I am running faster now thanks to her pulling me along at break-neck speed. I'd love to take Pop to Park Run but with over 500 runners all starting off in a great whoosh together I'm not sure it would be safe/ enjoyable.

Park Runs, for those who don't know about them, are free 5k runs (3 miles) organised in Parks all around the UK. They start at 9am every Saturday throughout the year come rain, hail, ice or shine. You go at your own pace, walking bits if you need too, and then hand in the ticket you're given with your race position at the end to one of the recorders, along with the barcode you register for and print out a day or two before the race, and your time and race position is then put up on the results page. They are extremely friendly events that  encourage all ages and abilities of runners. Everyone is clapped in and supported from the fastest to the slowest. In fact, often the last person in gets the biggest cheer. Everyone just wants everyone else to do well and enjoy their morning run round the park.

I decided it was High Time the Lurid Running Shorts went to Park Run and duly wore them this morning (with encouragement from M and a grin at the thought of how much my buddy Leanne  would approve as she is always Very Encouraging of my rather-too-bright Running Creations :o) ).

In case you've forgotten what they look like, here they are, in situ this time...


All the other runners were in black (or if there were any similarly garish shorts I didn't see them and you'd think they'd be pretty obvious). We met a group of friends at the finish and Isla (14 y/o daughter of friends who can run the 3 miles in 20 minutes- hat off to her) made me laugh by saying they looked like I'd bought them from a shop. High Praise Indeed from a teenager :o) The grins were wiped off the faces of the others however when I threatened to make them all a pair. I am now on a mission to find the brightest and busiest fabric I can to turn into Park Run Shorts and will show-case a different pair each week. M suggested I had some business cards made, advertising the Running Shorts for Interested Parties, but I think that's probably a Step Too Far. I will content myself with flying the flag for Brightly Coloured Shorts at Park Run instead :o)

In Other News, it's been a Busy Week here and only set to get busier from now until Christmas. I've started a new dissertation project based on a trial of Cover Crops which has huge potential for UK farming and wildlife and as such I am very excited about being involved in it. I have a training day for the New Job next week, then the first years start the week after and the week after that my course picks up again. I have had very little time for sewing, apart from squishing in an hour to make these two zipped-up bags and some PJ bags for my neices..



So my plans for today are 1) sewing 2) blackberrying  and 3) eating a Chinese take away with M's delicious Plum Tart for pudding while watching Vera this evening.

For the 1) sewing, I'm going to make another zip-bag with this material as a Crimble prez for my ma in law...


Some small purses with this pile of new zips which arrived this week for the girls in my family for Crimble...


And maybe some popper-related things with my new Popper Machine...


And something buttonish with these new buttons...


  We are also awaiting Several Births...


The Small White Gang all pupated within a few days of each other and should be about ready to appear as flutters, unless they have decided to remain as pupae for the winter. There is sometimes a third brood of these butterflies about now so we'll wait and see. It depends on the weather I suspect. If they haven't eclosed in a few more days I'll move them to the garage where the cooler weather will be better for them and they'll see the winter out there to emerge in April (ish).

I'll leave you with some flowers from the garden...

 
 And wish you all a Lovely Weekend doing Nice Things,

CT :o) 

20 comments:

  1. Oh well done on your running time. We have lots of friends who do Park Runs every Saturday including my brother and sis-in-law and their youngest. My sis-in-law was in the running for the Sydney Olympics as a triathlete, and my brother was in the Olympic Squad, but not selected, for sailing, so as you can imagine they are very competitive. Our other good friend who does them regularly has done marathons all over the world and is also very competitive. Your M sounds as if he is always up for a challenge so I'm looking forward to hearing about you beating your best time again. If you get a chance have a listen to More or Less on Radio 4 about Usain Bolt's running, it is all in the power of the legs to travel without touching the ground, much! Flower power to you m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like a competitive lot! The Park Runs are great because if you want to try and be first you can do that, and if you want to complete three miles in your own time you can do that too. I think they work very well. Will look out for More or Less x

      Delete
  2. Hey CT,
    I do indeed heartily approve. And well done on the times. I am starting running on my return from New York. I shall be combining it with swimming. I think Honey will be able to keep up with me; I run at a snail's pace. I like the idea of a park run very much. Going to make that one of my goals for the back end of this year. I shall be wearing joggers though.....
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent news about your running- I'm certain you'll feel the benefit. If it's of help, when I started I used to run a bit then walk a bit- over time the walking drops away and the running takes over. I think had I tried to run a mile straight off to start with I may well have given up! I shall make you some shorts to celebrate xx

      Delete
  3. Well done on your running time! I think a stall selling bright running shorts would be a winner. I hope you have a lovely evening I shall be opening the gin & ice cream shortly but what I really want now is steak & chips! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be a money spinner... :o) Hope you enjoyed the gin and ice cream xx

      Delete
  4. honestly, those shorts are All of the Excellent. i predict you'll start a trend at those park runs. i think they're just what's needed to increase the level of Fun and Friendly.

    plum pudding and Vera? quite possibly the perfect evening. i LOVE Vera...visions of my home turf and all that. *sigh* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fun? To have lots of people in the brightest most colourful shorts. Appeals to my sense of humour. We've just done the first four series of Vera, Very Good Indeed :o) xx

      Delete
  5. Excellent running time, I'm very impressed. I like the idea of Park Runs, friendly and free is my sort of thing. I saw someone running in fantastic floral shorts a couple of days ago and I immediately thought of you. (It wasn't you was it..?) Well done on the new dissertation project. As ever I'm inspired and impressed by all that you do. I need to pull myself together and find this sort of energy. Maybe I need magic shorts. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't me, but I am Very Heartened to hear I'm not the only one :o) The new project is really interesting and has all kinds of positive for the land so I'm really chuffed I've got the chance to work on it. Have met some lovely new folks through it too.
      I shall make you some shorts also.... :o) xx

      Delete
  6. How fantastic that you wore the shorts for your run, I am sure that they sped you along!!!!! A lot of fun for you to run with a group of people like that I am sure. Enjoy the rest of your sewing and the new job training!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of finding some bold floral fabric to make the next pair....if you come across any could you let me know? xx

      Delete
  7. Now if a the anger thought those shorts cool, perhaps everyone will want them. Your sewing machine might become even busier! Well done in the run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the running time and I really do love those shorts :) About to go blackberrying here too - will be making your icecream again (last year it didn't last long!!).

    Hope you are having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M has made a batch tonight. I'm thinking about Blackberry Brandy which is lovely in Christmas foods x

      Delete
  9. Your shorts are marvellous! You could become famous ! I shall keep an eye out now for any bright material to send your way! Adorable buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your park run! I am definitely going to try and get my fit levels up to enter one. Did you know that there is a marathon around Bordeaux which includes multiple stop-offs to visit the Chateaux? I am in training for that one! I think your shorts really express your joyous personality. Yes, I agree I bet everyone will be wanting a pair of those gorgeous shorts very soon. Will you be able to blog about your new job? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you should have a go at park run. Loving the sound of that marathon- it would take me all day :o) Not sure re job and blogging- probably fairly generally only. Yay for brightly coloured running shorts! x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x