Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Moths And Things

I have a calendar on the kitchen window made of wooden blocks. The sort that goes on ad infinitum. You turn two of the blocks to change the day and the twelve months are arranged on three blocks beneath it, each block containing four months. I mention this because September is on the block that contains October, November and December. As L returns to school on Friday, and I have this morning moved to the winter calendar block, I feel a page has turned.

In Moth World, this is reflected by the species currently on the wing. It is a Time Of Rustics here: Square-spot, Vine's, Six-striped and Rosy all paid me a visit last night. Along with the brightly coloured Canary-Shouldered Thorn, a Green Carpet, a Silver Y and a White Point, amongst a handful of others. It was cool last night and Moth Numbers reflected the dip in temperatures (17 species and around 30 individuals). It will soon be time for the Sallows, those richly-coloured moths of Autumn that come in shades of burnt umber and orange, and the beautiful green Merveille Du Jour. I am looking forward to those :o).


canary-shouldered thorn

six-striped rustic
green carpet

lesser swallow prominent

rosy rustic

silver y

white point

We had Daughter Dramas all weekend long. An over-running leaving party from work on Sat meant supper was delayed by two hours (luckily I hadn't started cooking it). Trauma over student loan applications resulted in Hysteria At The Kitchen Table for Quite Some Time on Sunday morning, and then Spider Trouble Occurred in her car on Sunday afternoon. To be fair, a giant spider loose in my car would also send me over the edge. Calmness was restored but I am Fully Expecting more dramas over the coming weeks while she makes the change to University. 

On top of that, Furry Daughter problems also ensued when Pops returned from a walk, sat down on the patio and refused to budge.
She does this periodically, usually if something has irritated her skin. Normally, a warm bath (which she detests) does the trick, but not yesterday. She sat perfectly motionless for well over an hour, which is nigh on impossible for Poppy under normal circumstances. She didn't even wag her tail. She lifted her clear brown eyes to me when I asked if she was alright but didn't say anything. She was allowed on the sofa (purely for comfort reasons, you understand) last night and watched Vera with us. She seemed to perk up after that. This morning she is fine. I wondered whether she'd been upset by nettles. Her coat is finer than Teddy's and he never seems to be troubled by such things. I knew something was up when I walked round the garden looking for insects and she didn't come with me. Usually, she is my constant companion, and the lack of her ached. We often roll our eyes at Pop's more exuberant antics, but when they aren't there we miss them and it is always a relief when they return. There'll be a message in there somewhere :o)

L and I are off School Shoes And Uniform Shopping imminently (you can imagine how much we both enjoy that), so I'll leave you with some shots from aforesaid amble-round-the-garden and wish you all a Good Week Ahead....













 



 





(The Shieldbug is a new one for the garden- a Crucifer Shieldbug, only found in the south and south east of England. I am delighted he's here as I've never seen one before. They are interesting creatures- they are born red and black, their spots turn yellow after their first winter, resume the red colour in the spring as they start feeding, then turn yellow again as winter approaches. They feed on crucifers, of which we have plenty, although not at the top of the garden where I found him. I only saw him because I was watching some rain drops on a leaf and he appeared. I suspect there's a message in there somewhere too).

Happy Days,

CT :o)










23 comments:

  1. Our furry daughter has occasional problems with something in the grass which irritates her. I have tablets from the vet but they don't altogether help. Needless to say, once out in the fields with the farmer rabbitting she completely forgets any itches and scratches and just flies about in the best of health. Our furry friends are often a worry aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop's the same- it's only when we get home that she complains.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos with the raindrops and flowers - very wet here yesterday although sunshine and butterflies have returned today!

    Great selection of moths - my trap just seems stuffed full of LYU's and Flounced Rustics and little else at the moment!

    I used to dread this time of year with the school uniform and shoe shopping :( Used to seem never-ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny here today too :o) Off looking for Clouded Yellows tomorrow. Oh, the woe of uniform shopping. We've survived it this time, only just! x

      Delete
  3. My dog suffers hayfever type allergies this time of year, and he will be uncomfortable until we get that first killing frost. I let him up on the couch last night too as I have a soft quilt over it, and he seems to just relax into (on the carpet he rubs his face and all his fur is gone around his eyes). I hope your little pup feels better soon.
    Love all the photos of your waterlogged garden. You watch moths like I watch birds ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old doggies, it's horrid seeing them poorly or uncomfortable. Glad the sofa did the trick for yours too :o) x

      Delete
  4. Hey CT,
    Third time lucky with this comment...
    Thank you so much for the seeds. They arrived today. I have just come back from school shopping. Hideous. And I get to do it all again with Alfie tomorrow.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear- computer gremlins still causing havoc? V welcome re seeds, glad they arrived safe and sound. Good luck tomorrow. Managed to get all ours in one go at Asda (although I think L has ended up with school shoes as trainers!) xx

      Delete
  5. A dusky thorn was a new one for me a couple of weeks ago, it escaped inside and flapped around the kitchen ceiling meaning my pics weren't broadcast quality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful variety of Moths in this post and i loved the raindrops on the beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the butterflies begin to fade, there are still plenty of moths to enjoy...thank goodness! x

      Delete
  7. Sorry about all the drama. I had a bit of a spider moment the other evening when an enormous one sidled across the fireplace, paused for a while, then shot across the room and under the sofa that I was sitting on. I was a bit twitchy for the rest of the night. Anyway, I hope the transition to uni goes smoothly. And I hope the shoes and uniform shopping was minimally painful. Hugs to dear little Poppy, it's no fun when the mischievous ones are under the weather. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordy you were brave- I'd have been out the room screaming :o) Got through the uni shop- it was Somewhat Arduous, L being not remotely interested in clothes at the best of times :o) Pop seems right as rain again now. Phew x

      Delete
  8. Wow, those mothy folk really do look so autumny don't they! Talk about blending in to your surroundings, some of them look as though they would disappear. I hope that all is well with the university goer, the shoe shopping and Pops! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty good at keeping a Low Profile, those moths :o) Shoe shopping done, thank goodness and uni one is calmer again. As to Pops, all better now thank you xx

      Delete
  9. Terrific post today.
    Your photos are always so beautiful.
    Loved the rain drops.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do NOT miss the annual shopping for new school uniforms, shoes, bags, stationary etc nor do I miss the expense of it.

    Lovely photos and roll-call of the moths. I hope you find out what has bothered wee Poppy.

    As for Shield Bugs, we just have the boring green variety here - intent on eating my raspberries . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked out we've only one summer holiday left, theoretically that means one more school uni shop. HOWEVER, the lad is growing at such great rates that I think he'll be out of the new trousers bought yesterday within a month or two....

      Delete
  11. Love the moths, especially as I'm starting to recognise some now and also have had a number of Rustics in my most recent catch.... still got a lot more IDing to do. I have never seen that shield bug before and I like all the caterpillars crawling on your flowers. The wet poppy seed head looks lovely. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see whether you get any we don't get here. Hoping you get to see a Clifdon this year :o) xx

      Delete
    2. Oh me too! But if not, next year will do. :-) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x