Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Bits & Bobs

So I had a nightmare two nights ago. This is very unlike me. In it, a giant Gingerbread cake was stretching over our entire driveway. I yelled at M (who immediately leapt out of bed and rushed to the window, but had no idea why because he was asleep) to get rid of it, only to wake up properly myself and admit rather sheepishly that the likelihood of there being an actual giant gingerbread on the drive was quite low and I had probably dreamt it.

I can only conclude from this that I have become too emotionally involved with The Great British Bake Off and need to Back Off.

J is coming home tomorrow before heading off to uni on Monday. There have been Last Minute Panics (as predicted) but thankfully, she's got through them all and sorted herself out. I'm giving her the Wisdom Tin tomorrow. It has grown all by itself and now contains her dad's favourites quotes as well as mine, some silly jokes, a just-in-case tenner (thank you Jane for suggesting that) and some sketches of favourite Winnie-the-pooh scenes I've done for her. I feel you can't go wrong with Winnie-the-pooh when you're far from home. 

I'm wishing I had been more organised and thought to get contributions from the whole family to put in it. My ma in law is an accomplished artist and could have done a small water colour, my father in law could have imparted Fish Wisdom, my ma a recipe, my step father advice on how to build a two-seater aeroplane in your back garden (I kid you not), the boys how to win at Grand Theft Auto, my sis advice on riding the perfect dressage test, her hubby how to put out fires (he is a fireman), and my nieces pictures of ponies and insects, my sis in law how to complete a half Iron Man, my other sis in law how to make perfect Dutch biscuits and the littlest cousins could have provided instructions on how to ride a sheep successfully in Sheep Rodeo. My bro in law is such a terrible artist that his 'man fishing' is a firm family favourite and one he is often asked to repeat. I'm really wishing I'd thought to get him to do one for the tin too. Never mind - our boys will benefit from those ideas instead when it's their turn to go off to uni (or whatever they choose to do).



 










Hopefully she will like it.

We're all back In Routines here now. Work, School and more-or-less uni for me. I start my new job Officially next week and have the group all to myself the following week. It's not teaching, but 'facilitating learning' :o) I'm also giving a Dormouse lecture to the second years next week which should be fun and the Cover Crops project is moving along too, so there is Plenty To Do. 

I'll leave you with some pics from around the garden. I'm feeling the warmth of the last few days edge over ever more into Autumn with the nights in particular feeling a little biting here of late. We even lit the fire this week, seems early but it was freezing.

Buff Tip (moth)

Plant Pot Pop
Brimstone
Bluetit

Bugloss

Cosmos
Cuc

Gatekeeper

Toms
Cobweb
Spider spinning his web
And of course the obligatory Teddy and Poppy pics. The chewed shoes are courtesy of Pop who has been indulging in Sofa Infringements recently like there's no tomorrow :o)



Meant to add a welcome to New Readers- thanks for following, be it here or on Bloglovin. I have tried to reciprocate where I could find your blog but if I've missed anyone please let me know.

Wishing you all a peaceful Wednesday,

CT :o)
 

34 comments:

  1. Miss Uni will love the box,absolutely.
    In defence of Poppy..my 'lud,the change of routine made 'er done it.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that, or it was because there was a 'y' in the day :o) xx

      Delete
  2. Considering that he was a 'bear of very little brain' Winnie-the-Pooh is quotable wisdom for many situations. [I grew up on the real Pooh books--not the Disney version.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too- I have all the original books and a Pooh Bear Cookbook I've had since I was tiny wee. I still make the recipes from it. FAR superior to the Disney drawings :o)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic tin, and I like the ideas for next time. The Pooh drawings are brilliant. I hope J has a lovely last few days before she's off. Re the gingerbread, I'm wondering why it needed to be got rid of. It might be quite nice to have a giant one all over the front drive. I think maybe you need more Bake Off not less, and you need to work on accepting cake into your life. The spider's web photo is amazing. I was just thinking ten minutes ago when I was up the spider webby part of the garden that it must be really infuriating for a spider to spend ages and ages making a web and then some annoying person walks into it on their way to the bin and wrecks the whole thing. Not that I did anything like that. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had to put my mug of hot water down for fear of snorting it all over the computer.

      Working on accepting cake into your life is a quote I feel I should add to J's tin, and advice I shall hold to my heart and take with me life long. Brilliant.

      And as for your poor Spider. Oh dear. I bet he was shaking his tiny fists and yelling at the top of his voice after you, but you probably didn't hear him because spiders only have very small voices and shouting makes them barely detectable XX

      Delete
  4. I am sure that the tin will be a great success and source of comfort for many many years to come, not just during Uni times - although the emergency tenner might not last that long! I think that everyone should be given one of these when they leave home - the tin and the tenner! Sorry to hear about the dream, I have dreams like that all the time, well, not always cake related, but very odd. I am glad that the cake didn't get you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tin Wisdom is such a brilliantly simple but powerful idea and am so grateful to Lisa via Mel for sharing it.
      I don't usually get cake dreams. It really made me laugh when I woke up properly and understood what had happened xx

      Delete
  5. The German for gingerbread is "Lebkuchen" - I have a Polish co-worker with that surname!

    ReplyDelete
  6. giant gingerbread would be very excellent...especially if it's the kind with the squodgy top that you just can't get here. :(

    the tin has turned out brilliant -- and you've a very accomplished extended family by the sound of it!!

    i love your Winnie-the-Pooh sketches....especially as they're done after the original style, rather than the Disney version. i found a set of four hardboard books like those, with excerpts from the original, at the thrift shop years ago and they're star-boy's favourites...and mine. ;)

    finally, there's a cool wind blowing away the wretched humidity here...suddenly the leaves which have fallen don't look quite so incongruous. i'm glad autumn is coming.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now thinking perhaps it was a nudge to make some....

      I do enjoy drawing WTP, I've been doing those little sketches for years, although not for a while until this week. It was lovely feeling the old familiarity.

      Glad you've got cooler weather. I would not cope very well with Relentless Humidity :o( XX

      Delete
  7. Such a sweet idea, I love the Pooh drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a delightful post and such charming drawings. Good luck for the new term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. I am starting to feeling nervous now!

      Delete
  9. Disney's lawyers are already on your case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey CT,
    I've been having very weird and vivid dreams these past couple of weeks. All down to underlying anxieties I would imagine. And my neighbour tells me it's another peri-menopausal sign. Great.....
    I have finished my tin, but may put some emergency cash in there too. I always have a bag of emergency one pound coins under the driver's seat of the car. It's come in very handy over the years. Mostly for emergency MacDonalds.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing you with the peri-menopause, sister.

      Are you going to post about your tin? Would love to see it. xx

      Delete
  11. Oh I got a bit over emotional at the post as your Uni one goes off xx love the pot that Poppy is in! It'd go lovely in my garden!!! Good luck you in your new job xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Other sides of the coin at the mo, you and I! x

      Delete
  12. J is a lucky wee lady heading off to Uni with such a tin and a quilt. Maybe you could always ask the extended family to post all those extras. I loved my first year at Uni but looking back it was a struggle getting used to being far away from home and growed-up, I really appreciated any letters or cards that arrived. Oh yes, I loved your hedgerow post, so beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really useful reminder to send her little cards and things when she's there- thanks, my friend xx

      Delete
  13. Good luck to J with Uni, and you with your new job, big changes ahead! Your dream was hilarious, yes maybe hold back on the bake off. Those shows are so addictive though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have last night's recorded and waiting to be watched.... I think it might possibly be an addiction? :o) XX

      Delete
  14. The tin idea is fantastic, the ddog watchers and plant sitter are fabulous. I am sure J will love uni. Now as for the gingerbread in the driveway, I ha to laugh at that. I used to sleep walk with some increbiale stories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If your daughter reads your blog the secret of the tin may have leaked out, unless daughters reading their mothers' blogs is complete social death and only happens in dis-functional families? I ask out out of simple curiosity.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be considered infra dig and then some!

      Delete
  16. The wisdom tin should be a treasure now and for years to come! I love the sketches. Our children are out of college and married, so I'll have to give it a try with grandchildren :) There is always something interesting and alive in your yard and garden...always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so- wouldn't it be lovely if it became a Family Tradition, stretching down through the years? Your grandchildren will love it, I'm sure x

      Delete
  17. Oh the best of luck to J I really hope she settles in well. Rob adored his time at uni - it was the absolute making of him. If I had thought of it I would of done a tin, I think I may do a memory box for him at Christmas instead. Love your Pooh drawings you're very talented & why not set up a posting schedule between you all for added support each month & more emergency tenners! Though I clearly remember emergency bank transfers during the 2nd year.! Dreaming of cake hey & a bloody big gingerbread to boot, you don't do things by half xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to hear positive stories from those who've gone before, so thank you my dear :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x