Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Adonis On The Chalk And A Video From T and P

I had to delete the first version of this in case you're wondering where it went. L watched T and P's video with his Lawyer Head On and started wagging his finger over music copyright. The Rolling Stones have been duly removed and now I've written this post twice :o)

A rushed morning where passwords needed resetting (always drives me mad), walking boots proved to be still wet from a bat survey last night and, running late because of passwords and soggy walking boots, I got stuck behind a tractor then a lorry full of mineral water crawling along the lanes.

When I eventually managed to get to Broughton Down (twenty minutes late) to look for Clouded Yellows with Uncle Bulgaria the sun came out and it was warm :o)

No Clouded Yellows...Instead: an Adonis Blue!







Autumn Gentians....
  

Brown Argus...


Common Blues..



A Fawn showing us a Clean Pair Of Heels...


Light....


Meadow Browns..


Speckled Wood..


Thistle Down...



And Yellow Bird's-Nest..
 

Its a plant that contains no chlorophyll so it doesn't photosynthesise. Instead, it has a parasitic relationship with a fungus that itself has a symbiotic relationship with tree roots, and the plant gets its nutrition that way. I don't find them especially pretty, but they are Pretty Fascinating, don't you think? And local to this neck of the woods while rare elsewhere. Not seen them before. Nature is Amazing.

I'll leave you with Ted and Poppy's video. You'll remember their favourite game of 'Round The Greenhouse' ? Well we thought you might like to see it In Action. Pop is Terribly Excited, because the First Edition of the vid attracted an enormous orange exclamation mark beside the legend 'illegal in some countries' (or something similar). It won't be quite so funny without the soundtrack but we thought it might give you a mid-week smile anyway...


Hope all are well?

CT :o)



27 comments:

  1. Oh those doggies!!! They make me laugh so much!!! The expression on Teddy's face at the end, priceless!!! It seems as though everyone had a good day in the end, beautiful butterflies, although I feel sorry for the Adonis with a bit out of his wing, poor fellow! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They put a smile on my face too, funny little creatures. Flutters can fly with wing damage, they often get them caught on thorns xx

      Delete
  2. Well i am sure you could hear the laughing from your place. I loved the video and the credits were genius. Now all the butterflies shots were gorgeous CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh watching them, suddenly started and suddenly over, as if nothing had happened in between! x

      Delete
  3. Who needs a soundtrack when you've got that excitable sound. I wish I could tell the difference between Adonis Blue and Common Blue. There has been a definite autumn chill here today and I wore wellies down to the allotment as my dubbined walking boots are lovely and clean from walking across the beach. I'm going to show the video to my husband, not that I've got time or space for a little dog at the moment ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Adonis is obvious when you see it in the flesh- a brilliant aquamarine/ turquoise. The Common is a duller shade (believe it or not!). Photos don't do it justice. The other way to tell them apart is that the black lines cross the white wing margin fully on the Adonis and don't on the Common. Photo 3 (Adonis) shows this best. You can see in photo 9 (Common) that the black just blurs the white margin instead of crossing right through it to the end of the wing..

      Delete
  4. Amei conhecer o seu blog, já fiquei por aqui!!!Achei maravilhoso!!!
    Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
    Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

    Obrigada.

    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. Glad you enjoy the blog. I'll pop over to visit you :o)

      Delete
  5. Hey CT,
    What Stones song was it? I do love to watch doggies playing with each other. We used to have another Cav, Rosie, and she and Hiney would run round and round the washing lne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aargh!:anyway delightful. As was the Adonis. That blue. We are all well here. Sam has only had had one uni breakdown today...
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! You are very kind to persevere! Poor Sam- lots going on with driving and uni for him at the mo. In another couple of months they'll be more settled (I keep telling myself) xx

      Delete
  7. Those two can run. No wonder they don't carry any excess weight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a wonderful walk you took across the Downs, much better than sitting behind a computer in the office. That's a great video that made me smile it was just like that here when I got home this afternoon! Our neighbours were outside with their dog , Tavi came outside and then he played chase in their back garden with her after inviting himself in through their front door! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smiled at your description of Tavi- home from home, eh? xx

      Delete
  9. Brilliant, dear little Poppy, she's an absolute star. I think I forgot to say the other day how impressed I am that she can run 12 miles on her dear little short legs. Wish I could! Love those blue butterflies, what glorious colour. I had a day of scampering around the woods today, no butterfly sightings though. Wishing you a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is Mrs Determined and never gives up (typical Jack Russell). Teddy is more circumspect in his choices :o)

      Your wood day sounds lovely. Hope all went well at Big School and that all goes well today when the smallies go back. L is back tomorrow so we have one last day of freedom before Getting Up Early recommences! xx

      Delete
  10. Oh my, I love that vid, they are just as I expected. You capture their little dog personalities so well in your writing. I agree with Amy's sympathy for the Adonis and his imperfect wing, such a big bit too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna, they definitely are two very different characters but they adore one another. Flutters will fly quite well with wing damage, they often get tatty as they get older from bird attacks and thorns etc. xx

      Delete
  11. Oh my they are the sweetest scampery little creatures. Loved seeing them in real life - well as close as! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Much better hearing these really ferocious doggies than listening to the Stones! What a laugh they are. :-) And love, love, love the Adonis Blue! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the vid and the Adonis- was beginning to think I wouldn't see one this year. Now just need a Hummingbird Hawk here... xx

      Delete
  13. I am officially a devoted member of the Teddy & Poppy Fan Club! Can't get enough of those two....they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie- I'll pass that on to them :o)

      Delete
  14. It is so interesting how one side of the Adonis Blue is brown and inside it is a gorgeous blue (or is that the other way around?). I'm a YouTube fan of Poppy & Teddy...such energy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x