Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Wisdom In A Tin....

So I was hoofing about Blog Land the other evening as you do (following, as Mel call's them, Blog Crumbs) and I ended up over at Lisa's blog where she was busy making Wisdom In A Tin for her niece.

J is off to uni in a couple of weeks. It's her first experience of being away from home on her own two feet, so I wanted to make her something to take that would be comforting, warm and remind her of home. We had a lovely trip to my fave fabric shop a few months ago where she spent ages choosing the fabrics (and we took over half the shop by spreading them about on the floor and getting fellow customers and the shop owners  all involved :o)). I have now finished the quilt. She is yet to see the finished article and is very excited about it. Here is your Sneak Preview. They are not colours/ patterns I would have gone for so I am very glad I gave her the choice of what she wanted!


I also wanted to do something a bit more spiritual, offering instruction if it should be needed when we aren't there. Like the disembodied voice of her parents giving annoying advice from afar... So I decided Wisdom In A Tin was the perfect answer. 

All joking aside, I thought it was a lovely idea. I've bought a vintage-style metal tin from ebay and spent last night looking up my favourite quotes and writing bits of sage advice on rose petal pressed parchment I had left over from our wedding (lasted well didn't it) to go in it. I decorated the edges of the parchment pieces a la illuminated manuscript (delusions of grandeur there, big time) thereby also fulfilling the pressing need to unleash some colour and creativity drawing-wise that's been banging in the back of my head for the past couple of weeks....



I showed it to M who has decided to add some pearls of his own, so now she'll have advice from both of us contained in one nifty little tin that will help her survive the perils of university when she's far from home. The benefit of that over actual parents being that she can close the lid when she's had enough :o)

BTW, I have Amy to thank for the Maya Angelou quote which I'm pretty sure I first read on her blog last year. I have loved it ever since. I only wish someone had told me that was I was twenty. It might have saved a lot of heart ache :o)
I also love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote and will make sure I return to college armed with that one for anyone who may need it.







It's been a Creative Kind Of A Day here altogether. I had a good session with a patient after lunch where things have moved forward for her which is always great. I have spent the day largely out of the rain which has been pouring down since first light...



I have peeled all the Honesty seeds from their pods and transferred them to brown paper bags (and then spent ages admiring the seeds, seed heads and seed pods). If you want some let me know as I have masses!

 


I've also finally had some time to do a bit of sewing. As well as the stash of Lovely Fabric I got yesterday (snails and owls for Christmas Prezzie PJs for my nieces, stars and a London street map for a quilt for the boys' TV/ X Box room in the attic, and a couple of others Just Because)....


I also bought half a metre of this Gorgeous Stuff along with a zip, because I had plans to turn it into a zipped bag of some description, so that is what I have done today.

From this...


Through this....


To this....


Chuffed with it, I am :o)

More buttons arrived in the post from China...


How sweet are those? Having primary-aged nieces is a Great Excuse to pretend I'm not buying childish buttons for myself :o) Here is my button box, currently looking Very Healthy I think you'll agree, but it will become denuded as Project Christmas Present swings into action....


Birds are back in the garden. They had a Free Feast yesterday when they found my moths sheltering under leaves :o(



Somehow this was less bad than the bloody hornet that had got inside the moth box and ripped the wings off three moths while they were sleeping without actually eating them. It's enough to make me not want to put the box out in July/ August. At least this lovely Poplar was too big for the bloody hornet to mess with...


T and P are well and send you all their Best Regards. T wasn't very well at the start of the week. We think possibly pining for home while we were away (although he was with Poppy and L at Granny's where he loves visiting Dylan and Dougal his cousins. We think it was perhaps a bit too much for him- he is like me, he loves the peace and tranquility of home). 

Anyway, I did some healing with him and within half an hour he'd perked up and was eating again. And today he's been chasing Poppy round the greenhouse so I think we can all agree that's him back to normal. Just in time for his annual jab at the V.E.T. tomorrow in fact :o) I have just ordered him a new collar by way of an apology. Pop is also going because she seems to have a mite infection on her foot. She loves going to the V.E.T. though, so no need to buy her a present- she thinks the visit itself is present enough, funny little thing :o)

Despite the sore toe, she has insisted on coming running with me in the rain. She can now easily do 12 miles with her dad so I'm afraid my regular 1.4 mile run is probably small fry for her, but she does enjoy it. She's developed a habit of making a bee-line for puddles and seems to love running straight through the middle of them. 

They are both due a hair cut (as you can see by the Hairy Ted Face) but Mrs Danning is Very Busy at the moment and can't see them till late September. M was at a conference recently where the speaker reminded him of someone only he couldn't think who it was. Apparently, it was really bugging him and then he realised it was Ted! Every time I think of him sitting there puzzling away only to realise that the speaker reminded him of his dog I get a fit of the giggles.


And finally, in this round-up of Today's News chez Countryside Tales, I have managed to become Foster Mother yet again to yet more caterpillars. M's brassicas are being beset by an army of Whites, so I hoicked off as many as I could and have brought them indoors to raise. One is already pupating...



Hope all are well?

I'm off to do some more drawing before mine and Pop's Evening Run Through The Rain, and then doubtless after dinner the rest of the evening will be given over to trying to persuade L to a) write his Thank You letters and b) have a bath and wash his hair......As my buddy Kaz says, I'll know a girl is on the scene when getting him to wash doesn't entail liberal use of a shoe-horn :o)

Happy Days, eh?

CT :o)

33 comments:

  1. Our son is off to uni soon, he is nervous but looking forward to it, I must get the bird table back up in the garden next week, I love the garden birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big change for them, isn't it? I feel just as nervous for J as when I went!

      Delete
  2. I wish I'd thought of something like your Wisdom in a Tin last year when Science Girl went off to university. That's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa takes the credit for the idea- I've just copied her :o) I thought it was great too.

      Delete
  3. I think you should stick a few fivers in the tin too..just in case some ice cream or biscuits are needed at times when wisdom is needed!
    Oh.lucky little person to have owl PJs!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea :o)

      I am toying with the idea of making some owl PJs for me! xx

      Delete
  4. Now that wisdom tin would have done myself some good......about thirty odd years ago though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those words of wisdom are such a brilliant idea - that and the quilt should make her feel a lot of comfort. It is never easy leaving home for the first time however much they pretend it is all going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it all does the trick and helps her feel safe and happy :o)

      Delete
  6. The wisdom tin is a great idea! GladTed is back to his normal self hope he doesn't find it traumatic going to the vet tomorrow. If you do have any seeds going free I would love some. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forced my eldest to wash his hair tonight as well. I love that you've collected up those pesky caterpillars. Are you picking cabbage leaves to feed to them..? You've been deliciously busy as ever, I do so love coming here to see what you've been up to and be inspired. You use your time wisely I think. As soon as I saw the Desmond Tutu quote it put me in mind of the next one, which is a favourite of mine. I do love a good quote, I'm always firing them out. I like a nice saying as well. One of my favourites (which has to be said with an air of mystic superior knowledge) is, "An owl in a sack troubles no man". A friend told me that one when I was a teenager, and it's stuck with me ever since. Thought you might like it too. Although of course an owl in a sack would trouble us greatly. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've done better than me. L remains unwashed. Tomorrow....

      And yes, I am picking leaves off M's cabbages to feed to my pillars, so really I should have just left them on the cabbages in the first place. A few years ago I caused immense merriment by buying organic cabbage from waitrose to feed them on. I have no idea why this was so funny.

      I told M about your owl quote because you made me laugh re us being greatly troubled about an owl in a sack (which we certainly would be, wouldn't we?) and his version was told him by a lass he met in Turkey when he was inter-railing, only he misheard her and thought she'd said 'an hour in the sack harms no man,' Thank goodness he worked out what she'd really said in time to prevent awkward suggestions- imagine the trouble he could have got in to otherwise :o) XX

      Delete
    2. Brilliant, I'm laughing. I think the saying was invented by someone for a competition in the New Statesman magazine to come up with a meaningless saying. So happily no long tradition of men keeping owls in sacks. CJ xx

      Delete
  8. isn't the tin just the most wonderful idea? i would've loved something like that when i went off to uni -- at the tender age of 17....then again, i pretty much knew everything back then so probably wouldn't've needed a tin. ;)

    oh, those fabrics are lush! that really is the compulsion for sewing for me, so that i can shop for and touch bee-yoo-tee-full fabric. and the buttons are brilliant! that's a very healthy button box indeed...although you must be sure to replenish it as required, it would be a great shame to see it whittled away.

    i wonder if that lecturer had a Ted-dog -- you know what they say about people and their animals. ;)

    lovely to see you indulging your drawing/painting/creating urges -- they're always a Very Good Thing in my book. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather suspect J thinks she knows everything too, in which case I am really just writing the tin wisdoms as balm for myself :o)

      I am laughing at the thought of a ted-alike dog to go with the ted-alike speaker. Then I followed that thought to its logical conclusion and realised by that token M should look like Ted and I should look like Poppy....and given that Pop smells rather bad at the moment and ted looks somewhat unkempt I'm rather hoping we don't :o)

      Yes, yes, yes! to the joy of buying and drooling over fabric and buttons etc etc etc. I'd also add wool to that list, and the pens/ pencils/ drawing paper I bought last week :o) XXX

      Delete
  9. Hey CT,
    I think I shall make a tin of wisdom for Sam. I can't stay with him, and hold his hand. Here's the quote that will go on the top: "It's our choices, Harry, that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" J K Rowling.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea- he'll appreciate it and you'll feel better for it! Funny you should mention the JK Rowling quote- I've used it in J's tin too. Perfect for kids turning into adults xx

      Delete
  10. I lauded at the speaker reminding M of Ted !
    Usually owners and their dogs start looking alike.
    Your fabric is lovely and I love looking at buttons
    and buying them too : )

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's to do with living cheek by jowl with them? :o)

      Delete
  11. That is one way to control the caterpillar invasion of the brassicas! Though they still need to eat... I would force feed them nasturtiums. :-) Talking of harvests, I'm glad I have a now well trained OH who is still proudly bringing in courgettes which are just the right size. Your apple tree looks lovely there despite the rain. I have only one hollyhock still standing thanks to rain and wind, so yours are doing wepll.

    Impressed by your sewing and wisdom. :-)

    Finally, please may I have some honesty seeds? I have looked for seed here in the garden centre but they didn't have any! I've always wanted some honesty, especially for those gorgeous seed pods! I have all sorts of pollinator friendly flower seeds here I can send you, if you'd like. Will email when I get on the big computer. Merci buckets. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've ignored the nasturtiums :o(

      Will pop the honesty in the post. Would love some pollinator seeds, thanks xx

      Delete
  12. A brilliant idea of the wisdom tin.Could be used on varies occasions. My mind is now working over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- it's a great idea with multiple uses :o)

      Delete
  13. An interesting and enjoyable round up of your family and pets lives at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Wisdom tin is such a lovely idea, when Rob started I loaded the car with food & lemsips. Must root out the photos I was squashed in the back with his guitar propped on me. I've just snorted G&T over my laptop after reading about M at the conference! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They take so much stuff with them when they go don't they? I have my eye on J's room as a potential sewing room in due course.... :o) Sorry about the laptop! xx

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful gift to take away from home and to have in life too! I am sure that your tin of wisdom will be treasured always, hopefully added to and passed on some day as well! What a lovely thought that would be. I could do well to remember that quote from Maya Angelou that you included! Bought a little tear to my eye this did! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a lovely, simple idea. Nice to do something handmade too. The quote from Maya Angelou is such a simple but powerful one, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  16. I love the Wisdom in a Tin idea! Paired with a quilt, I hope your daughter isn't made homesick with all this loveliness around her ;) I think my daughter would have rolled her eyes if I gave her quotes, but she would definitely have liked the quilt idea. In order to make her happy in her dorm her first year, we picked up new bedding and decorated her room as best we could (even replaced the icky curtains with lovely purple ones!). I'm sure all these little gestures keep all our kids feeling that hug from mom and dad through the distance. Had a good laugh at the "hour in the sack" quote!! Goodness, that could have gone all wrong ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect J may roll her eyes too :o)
      That's a lovely thing to do re the curtains and making the room nice- I think things have changed a lot since we were students. Some of the rooms I remember were basic to say the least!
      And as for an hour in the sack...all sorts of mayhem could have ensued :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x