Wednesday, 5 August 2015

To Studland!


We had a lovely day by the sea at Studland on Monday. 

Not - before you get excited - the nudie bit. No, the other bit, with golden sand and dunes behind it.
 
Old Harry's Rocks between Studland and Swanage

We took the boys with us. Risky, given that they'd already endured a full day of our undivided attention in London on Saturday, but because we all came through that relatively unscathed we thought we'd push our luck and try another Family Day Out. 

They proved remarkably content to spend time at the beach with their parents once they realised there was a Slackline immediately behind where we plonked our picnic blanket. This unsurprisingly acted like a magnet for various other teenagers on the beach who were all equally desperate not to be seen dead with their annoying parents. Full Marks to whoever thought to put it there. Our lads duly spent the rest of the time falling off it and now want one in the garden....

 


 


The health and safety sign had us in stitches...


Since when does a flat rope strung taut half an inch off the ground constitute an extreme sport?! 

I feel I had the most elegant technique, if the least effective....


Only F made it the entire way across, by doing a sort-of running, skipping, slithering zoom. M was hopeless and plummeted to earth after two steps. Which was Very Funny :o)

L made several new friends, as is his way, including a lass who must've been four years his junior and who kept asking him to go swimming with her. Cue sniggers from F about girlfriends and a certain cool and swaggery 'no thanks, I don't do swimming' from L, which made me snort.

M does do swimming. Try keeping the man out of the water. He's in there even when it's far too cold for everyone else, for Heaven's Sake.


Afterwards, he and F proceeded to have a game of let's see who can chuck the tennis ball at one another hardest on the crowded beach. By the third near-miss of innocent members of the public I called time to their game. They both returned with sheepish grinning faces that resembled naughty school boys. Honestly.

It rained. 

Of course.

But we Hardy Holiday Makers soldiered on, because it wouldn't be summer on a beach in the UK if it didn't rain.  Actually, no one did blink when it started- everyone did just carry on as if it wasn't happening (note the grey area beyond the trees indicating the approaching Heavy Squall)...


We made our way back utilising the chain-link ferry between Studland and Poole, which included a 45 min wait but luckily there is a delicious stretch of golden sand right by the terminal so we all buggered off onto that while we waited.




M and F resumed their ball game (fewer people about so I didn't have to tell them off) while L drew pictures in the sand then buried his feet, as you do.




I took pictures of other people's sandcastles, wistfully, because the Grumpy Teens wouldn't be seen dead with a bucket and spade these days unless it was to fill it with water (or sand) and chuck it over someone's (my) head...


There was also further evidence of yet more Jellies being washed up on the beach, poor things...


By then the ferry had returned so we climbed back in the car and drove on...


I got terribly excited by the sat nav on my phone showing us in the middle of the sea!!!! (small things, eh?)....


And we all enjoyed the view of Brownsea (next time, Squirrels, next time) and Poole harbour...

Apart from that it's been quiet here. I had another migraine (boo) Monday night which put paid to Tuesday and provided Miss Pops with the perfect sofa-related excuse this morning...


Apparently, nursing duties come before all other sofa-related-injunctions.

I have baked a cake and some buns, but bits keep disappearing off them...



And I am double-chuffed to discover that the oh-so-difficult-to-grow hop seeds that I planted but couldn't be arsed forgot to subject to warm temps for 2-3 weeks, then 4-5 weeks at 2-4oC and then more cool temps after that, have managed to grow just fine by themselves, having been bunged in some compost and forgotten about left in the greenhouse during soaring temperatures. Good For Them. It won't be long before homemade beer with homemade hops, eh?


You go away for one day (bed ridden a la migraine) and everything changes. Look: the sweetcorn has gone all punk on me...


And remember the Comma larva who was on the nettle at the weekend? Well he's only gone and started pupating. I Rather Like the way he's hung himself up neatly beside the nettle flowers, pretending to be one..... When he's finished and has gone all crispy I think I may transfer the pupa into the butterfly house and watch him emerge as a Bootiful Butterfly....


T and P send everyone their regards (despite Ted looking Grumpy As in the pic- he is Feeling Cheerful, promise)....



And want me to assure you that they are being extremely considerate of my post-migraine self by only chasing each other round the house a teeny weeny amount and barely indulging in any dentistry at all....

I'll leave you with a Gate Keeper and a Brimstone I spotted this morning, as well as the Loosestrife which is coming along nicely now thank you, and the roses which have started blooming in the hedge again (only don't tell  Mel because her Turkey's ate hers....), and finally T and P who were on Sniffer Dog Alert Mode like mad this morning all over the drive. I couldn't fathom what had left such an interesting smell (the garden being fenced off to Mr Fox, Mr Badger and Miss Bunny) until I saw a CAT running up the track next door. What on Earth?! We are all AMAZED and have no idea where it's come from...






Hope all are well? Apols if I've missed some of your posts. Hoping to get round them this week now I can see again and make sense of the words :o)

CT x 

26 comments:

  1. I still take the sandcastle-making utensils to the beach and pretend they're for the Trouts. And then I pretend I'm "helping" them with their castles. And then I pretend not to be annoyed when they gleefully stomp on my creation. Looks like you had a nice day out. Did the dogs get to go too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left the doggies at home then felt guilty when it became apparent there were other doggies on the beach... xx

      Delete
  2. Gosh ,you do look all Darcey Bussell on that string thing! I would have fallen over just looking at it.
    I'm watching a red squirrel who has just stuffed himself full of food and promptly fallen asleep on the feeder..all the excitement I'm getting at the mo'. I've just done a head count...the cat isn't one of mine!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I like that comparison Jane, don't think anyone's ever breathed me and Darcy Bussell in same sentence before :o)

      Relieved it's not one of your cats, possibly the return journey could have been tricksy.

      Hope you're bearing up? xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Definitely not. Perhaps the sign painter was bored and put it there to see if anyone else noticed.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're having lovely hols. We treated ourselves to a night at the Pig on the beach last September and it was so good we went back in October. We did some great walks on all four days we were down and went swimming of course! Sorry to hear about your migraine. My husband gets them occasionally and takes feverfew and keeps a diary of their occurrence. His usually start at the end of the working day and affect his vision so he can't cycle but fortunately they only last 30 mins or so. I love the photo of the comma caterpillar pretending to be s nettle flower. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach stuff is always lovely, whatever the weather I reckon. My commiserations to your hubby - bloody horrid things. Comma is still there, I checked this morning... :o)

      Delete
  5. Hope you are feeling much better now. Looks like a great day out at the beach, I love the extreme sports activities! I guess that it gives it a cooler edge than just saying here is a rope an inch of the ground have fun! Glad that T & P have been looking after you and that all is going well in the garden despite you missing it for 24 hours! So annoying when nature manages to do its thing without us interfering isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely day- I needed a seaside top-up :o) xx

      Delete
  6. Oh I do so enjoy your posts. Sorry you've had a migraine, I do hope you're back to full strength very soon. The day at the beach sounds brilliant, I am working up to one myself, although I'm still recovering from a particularly cantankerous afternoon at the park. A slackline would help no end I think. Mine love to play that throwing the ball as hard as possible game as well. Sometimes they're good enough to include me. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued about the cantankerous park experience- doesn't sound like you guys at all. I think Slacklines may possibly be the answer to everything.... xx

      Delete
  7. What a fun day this would be. I think I may have tried the line as well. What a great idea and to learn to balance. I think you should have one in the backyard. Lovely day, lovely photos, lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know, if you ever find yourself this side of the pond we'll go slacklining together :o)

      Delete
  8. I love the British attitude to a rainy beach! Glad your migraine is better and that you had Poppy to cheer you up - I find dogs make the best nurses. i'm working at home today because of the tube strike, and by now am going a bit stir-crazy so it's good to check in with you and your goings-on. xxxLily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily :o) Hope the day didn't get too tortuous - was Floss with you? xx

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a jolly outing - and yes I do think you look extremely elegant on that line - you are on it when the photograph is taken - what happens afterwards is nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell off it, sadly about a millisecond after the pic was taken :o) x

      Delete
  10. Hey CT,
    Good to see you all recovered from your migraine. Vile things. And lovely to see your family too. I often feel as if I bombard my blog with mine, so it's nice to see that other bloggers children actually exist!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got quite a shock when I realised how big they are now beside me in the pics. Not sure when that happened! xx

      Delete
  11. Love the sniffer dogs! Your day out at Studland sounds fun despite the weather! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely- I expect you know it? Well worth a visit if not xx

      Delete
  12. I love days out at the seaside! We bought ours body boards and it was brilliant as it meant they could stay away from us ALL day and hide behind them back on the beach! Love the nettle flower caterpillar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Body boards are grrreaat- we once had a wooden contraption you could also slide along wet sand on. Except everyone fell off it :o)

      Delete
  13. Goodness me no wonder you acquired a migraine... Just reading all that, I'm exhausted!
    Hope it left no lasting niggles - I get them from time to time!
    Nasty!
    Well your trip to Studland was beautiful! Memories plus for me! I studied at Bournemouth Uni... Lived in Westbourne and spent weekends exploring the Hants/Daaarset ( ya gotta do the accent) countryside and coast line! I had a fab first boyfriend who was a walker! ( a prerequisite for a good relationship - a quality my husband - not same Uni boyfriend - has too)
    Studland, Durdle Door and Brownsea Island for Red Squirrels... ❤️
    Salty kisses, sandy toes!
    Happy days by the sea!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, old stomping ground for you then :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x