Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Sewing, More Rain And The V.E.T Trip

So both the dogs got a clean bill of health at the V.E.T. this morning. I woke up late (8.15!) which meant I went to the V.E.T. looking like someone who lives in the country and doesn't have access to clean water once the well in the garden dries up. We used to call the fuzz you get on the back of your head after sleeping a Fuzzy Bonce in honour of my little sis who woke up with a great mat of hair at the back of her head everyday until she was about fourteen. Anyway, I had an impressive one this morning which didn't respond well to a vague attempt to flatten it with water so I gave up, left it in situ and hoped no one would notice. The glorious thing about spending most of my time with the dogs is they don't give a monkeys what I look like, but I do tend to forget that people aren't like dogs in that way. I needn't have worried because as it turned out the V.E.T.'s hair was a magnificent, completely-out-of-control ball of Mad Professor Frizz, so I was in Good Company.

Ted screamed the house down as if someone was trying to murder him the second he caught sight of the needle, then succumbed quietly to a biscuit, but Many Reproachful Glances were cast while he was eating it. He may have the beginnings of the fateful Westie Skin Fungus (a yeasty-type thing they are all prone to) so we are Keeping An Eye on it for now as it's mild. Always something, eh?

Pop wagged her tail throughout and tried to lick the V.E.T to death as she always does. It turns out her toe problem isn't a mite infection, probably just something that irritated her so she's nibbled at it. She's perfectly fine unless you look at it then she remembers it and starts chewing it again. It's a JR trait I believe, them being Clever Little Dogs and all.

We got home safely half an hour after setting off and seventy-five quid lighter. 

There have been some Serious Sofa Infringements happening today, largely due to the pouring rain which has prevented anyone being outside for any length of time....

 

 
Teddy has Kept Guard by the front door, just in case the postman dares to attempt a hand delivery. This is his Special Postman Glare....


The quality of rain has been moste impressive. It has poured buckets.


In the briefest of pauses I ventured out to pick some carrots for lunch, only to get soaked as the heavens opened again and then had do a mad dash back to the house and cover. The carrots were lovely though and I like to think have off-set to some degree at least the vast quantity of biscuits I've been eating. This is probably acceptable because I ran a bit further than normal last night with M and both dogs clipped to my belt (M wasn't clipped to the belt, just to be clear. I can trust him not to run into cars, you see). Teddy got tired and flagged half way round, only to rally in the last half mile and race Pop to a nerve-wracking photo-finish outside our gate. I should have had the video camera with me to record their valiant efforts and mine and M's Excitable Race Commentary. I think our neighbours, such as they are, have long since stopped worrying about us :o)


While I was carroting, I noticed large quantities of these which are all over the cabbagey/ kaley things in the front veg patch, half of which seem to have been stripped bare overnight. Oh dear. M will NOT be a happy bunny this evening :o(....



I've turned some of the new material into a drawstring bag today, which I'm Rather Pleased with. I started with this....

 
Made up a pattern like this...
 

Cut out the material and sewed the inner lining bag and the outer material bag like this...


Made up some casings and stitched them to the bag like this...



Chose some velvet ribbon to go inside the casings and threaded it through using my Trusty Safety Pin like this.....




And ended up with this....


Quite Pleased I am. It didn't take long at all. More Crimble presents sorted me thinks.

Am now considering branching out into something like Emily, my patchwork cat who sits on the kitchen shelf and smiles at me while I'm cooking. More fiddly, I'm thinking?


Well, the sun has come out at long last and as it's gone suspiciously quiet upstairs where L is supposed to be (finally) having a shower and washing his hair after about an hour of negotiations, I'd better go and check what's happened. I made the school girl error of telling him at the start of the hols he should do an experiment and see what happened if he didn't wash it for a couple of weeks, and now he's holding me to it like it was a contract written in blood. They don't miss a thing, teenagers, do they? Unless they want to that is.
 
Still, Happy Days!

Hope all are well?

CT  :o)

30 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for sewing. I haven't dared go outside, it hasn't stopped raining here. My husband, I think I should call him the off-roader, cycled to work today. He's just like a small boy and enjoys the mud! Teenagers do change when they leave home and find boy/girlfriends - promise! Courgette soup for lunch for me and I haven't made biscuits or cakes for ages, but we do have clotted cream every day with our home-grown raspberries and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- sewing is perfect for a soggy day. M ran to work this morning, although we have sun now for him to run home in.

      Delete
  2. My you are a busy bee. I spend a great deal of time at the vet as one of my weenies has diabetes and recently had cataracts removed which has been a long healing process. I should have bought stock in her practice as I am there so often. But, my weenies are my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is an impressivePostman stare!! Love your carrots, worth getting wet for. you are gret at sewing, that would drive me mad, i'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's spent ages perfecting it Margaret :o)

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear Poppy's toe is nothing serious. She looks so comfy on the sofa. And Ted's skin fungus sounds....unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping the skin thing won't develope :o( Pop is too comfy on the sofa :o)

      Delete
  5. One of my Grandsons did the experiment with the hair and I believe it didn't turn out too bad in the end.
    Not as mingy as you would think
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very cute bag indeed CT and impressive carrots! I love that photo of Ted, giving his hard stare! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a sweetheart in every way, he just detests our poor postmen! x

      Delete
  7. I would love to accompany you to the V.E.T. someday and see all the action live. I giggled all the way through. Especially fond of the description of the V.E.T.'s hair. Ted and Poppy are the greatest - love those Clever Little Dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Connie, we have had some moments at the V.E.T.'s over the years- most memorable being the time both dogs wound themselves round me so many times while I was sitting down that when I tried to get up I couldn't because they'd tied my legs together with their leads. To make matters worse, there was a very well dressed and perfectly made up woman there at the time who looked at me as if I were the most pitiable creature she'd ever seen. It made me laugh, fortunately!

      Delete
  8. The vet is someplace my Square Ones are at all the time so all three places are a second home !
    Oh poor Ted at the vet but what a gud watchdog. My Kirby used to lay on the sofa top all the time like Poppy. But we had no backing and she never fell off. I think she was half cat.
    Love love love the bag. So beautiful.
    I make them for smaller Birthday and Christmas gifts. Two gifts in one.
    One year I made them for all three children from some old jeans. They still have and use them. Great shoe bags too.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old Ted- he really doesn't like needles :o( Pop has been on and off the sofa all day :o) The bags are so quick and simple to make, aren't they? I shall be making loads up for xmas x

      Delete
  9. Oh Ted you do have a very fierce stare, I'm almost afraid of you! I got wet when I nipped out for some beans earlier on typically the sun came out once I got back inside. Lovely looking bag you are really getting into this sewing lark xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look quiet scary in that pic, not at all what he is really like :o) I am LOVING all the sewing. Can feel myself getting grumpy at the thought of college in Sept meaning less time for it! Hope all's well my dear xx

      Delete
  10. Dear Ted,
    When I get taken to the V.E.T, I always hide under a chair. It's very difficult to extract me once I'm there, and it really gets on the human lady's nerves. And I really wish they'd cotton onto the fact that when they say V.E.T or W.A.L.K or B.A.T.H we still know what they are talking about.
    Love Honey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Honey. That's a very good hiding place under your chair. Unfortunately, this morning Mum tricked us by not telling us where we were going so I didn't realise till we were there by which time it was too late as the only hiding place was behind Poppy and she's too small :o(

      It sounds like you are like me- good at spelling. Spelling things out works with Poppy because she can't read or write yet (can you believe that? She's too busy rushing about or sleeping on the sofa to learn). Once when she threatened to wee my name on the floor and then asked me how to spell it I told her it was spelt P-O-P-P-Y. She didn't cotton on.... :o) Love Ted x

      Delete
  11. Ted has an excellent stare...but does he realise he's terribly cute and kissy?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His dad is always congratulating him for being a 'big, rough, tough dog' because we all know he isn't! xx

      Delete
  12. i'm surprised the postman ever dares to darken your door....;)

    sewing is an excellent antidote for rain. although i wouldn't mind a bit of your rain, if you could just send it in a westerly direction once you're finished. or easterly...it'll get here just the same.

    glad to hear all was Well at the V.E.T. Emma-dog takes her own muzzle with her when she goes. yes, she's THAT dog. :O

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's the only time he turns into Fierce Hound. Don't know what it is about Postmen but dogs just seem to hate them. We have a box on the gate so actual house deliveries are rare :o)

      I will whisper a word to the rain- I think it is moving off after today. I have been glad of it. Rain Dances a plenty going on here.

      Dougal (T and P's woofy cousin) has similar muzzle for the V.E.T..... xx

      Delete
  13. Mine always remember every little thing I agree to, and many that I haven't actually agreed to and some that I've accidentally agreed to while not listening and just saying "Mmm, okay". Dear Poppy looks so pretty in your photos, she really is gorgeous. Well done on the running and the sewing. I've made beans on toast and eaten two packets of crisps and a piece of chocolate biscuit cake and a piece of chocolate chip shortbread today. Must try harder. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I envy a child's simple perspective of the world :o)

      And I'm glad I'm not the only one eating things we perhaps shouldn't. I do feel an expansion going on around the waist though, which I don't like very much :o( Running tonight. xx

      Delete
  14. Rain - terrible. Vets - extortionate. We have signed up to something called the Healthy Pet Club which our V promotes - you get vaccinations, flea stuff, worm stuff and one free vet visit. We had our free visit but they then sneakily sold us a sack of special diet kitty kibble for £53.00!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do get you with these 'special diets' don't they? Ours is offering a similar Health Club membership which I have so far declined, largely because I don't frontline ours once a month so suspect it wouldn't end up saving us anything.

      Delete
  15. "While I was carroting" what a beautiful expression!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x