Friday, 28 August 2015

Light

Colour yesterday, Light today.

The year is turning. September is a handful of days away now and on our walk down the lane this morning it was evident, its presence hovering out of sight just round the corner, but suggested by the air and the quality of light nonetheless. The nights are drawing in- have you noticed? It was dark by 8.30 last night. It will soon be time to pick up the knitting I put away in April and continue with the blanket I am making from heathery-toned wool. 

I still have a remaining bat survey to do, counting Daubentons along the river as they sweep the surface of the water to catch their favourite insects, and one or two flutter transects remain, as well as a Dormouse survey, but mostly the Wild Things in whose company I have passed the summer have settled and faded and it is largely bees and birds who are out and about now- everyone else is preparing to stock up and sleep out the cold winter months.

I like the changes between the seasons. I wouldn't cope so well if we were Equator-Bound. I need the reset of each turning month, the subtle changes in weather patterns, the rise and fall of temperatures and the waxing and waning of the light. It keeps me grounded and lets me know where I am.

The quality of the light here this morning is beautiful. Possibly because we've been without sight of the sun for several days as the Wet Stuff poured down out of the sky. We've embraced it fully this morning, the doggy folk and I, ambling around the different parts of the garden noticing the blooms that are still shining and watching the light bouncing off things. Pop has found a square of sunlight on the floor and is lying in it by my feet as I type.....

 











T and P wanted me to include this photo of them both for their Favourite Aunty Amy, who is feeling a little unlike Super Woman today. They think she could do with one of their special nuzzles, so they're sending it via this blog post whilst Fiercely Keeping An Eye on the front gate for any Foolhardy Intruders who might dare to step onto their territory uninvited. Never mess with a Small Dog or two, eh? :o)
 
 
Hope all are well and that there is some Light with you, wherever you are today.

CT :o)
 

32 comments:

  1. Thank you T & P for the special photo!!! I am sending you a virtual Aunty Amy hug in return!! The light is changing isn't it, although today it has, so far!!, stopped raining, so the light is rather better than it has been over the last few days. I can see bits of blue sky amongst white and grey clouds, rather than just dark grey clouds and no sky! Oh, and the sun just came out as I was writing that!! So the nights might be drawing in, but we will still enjoy the sunshine won't we! Thank you for being a light! Hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a cleaner light- perhaps the recent rain has dampened down the dust particles and left it brighter as a result. Glad you liked the photo- they are currently both passed out in pools of sunlight on the floor :o) XX

      Delete
  2. HI CT Lovely shots of the dogs but your flower shots are beautiful. Lovely colour still at the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice to find some flower colour still around? x

      Delete
  3. Yes, I too noticde the quality of light this morning; I think it has something to do with the amount of rain we have had. In my front garden I noticed that all the leaves on the alchemilla mollis had chrystal raindrops at their centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at ladies mantle this morning too- each left perfectly outlined by many tiny droplets of water.

      Delete
    2. that should have said leaf - long day sewing and doing other things, my brain is tired!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see sunshine in your lovely photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see sunshine all day :o)

      Delete
  5. The change is upon us! It was chilly this morning but yes with a beautiful light. I feel a little sad too, everyone is talking and writing about Autumn. I love love love Autumn but I'm not ready yet. It is lashing with rain here and I am so thankful I do not have to go out. Happy Friday CT.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not my friend- I think we may get some warm days yet before the winter kicks in. Indian summer? Have a good weekend xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos and post. The leaves are turning up here now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are starting to drift down from the trees in places here...

      Delete
  7. A coincidence as I was just thinking this same thing this morning! We too have sun after a week of rain and suddenly everything was so clear and bright and all the little webs were shining in the newly greened up lawn.... it was delightful. This post is more up my street than the colour of my wardrobe contents which are not as colourful as yours. Though I do tend to favour purple in my advancing years. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have more than a week of temps in the 30Cs forecast...summer's last hoorah. I'd do well near the equator...no snow!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have some warmth- it'll make up for the all the house upheaval :o) xx

      Delete
  9. I love to feel the seasons turning as well, and I often think how nice it is that everything keeps changing. My other half lived in Alice Springs for a while and it was blue sky, every single day. And my friend lives in the Caribbean where it gets dark at 6.30pm every day, all year long. I love the way everything is always rolling on. You paint a very warm and cosy picture of Poppy lying in the sun, wonderful. It's a good life I think! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't deal with constant blue sky or the same night times all year round. There is nothing more cosy than a comfy dog :o0 xx

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos today and what beautiful light.
    But best of all I like your two gud dugs ready to ponce !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post - its feeling autumnal here too. Also love the change of the seasons. Loved your Wisdom Tin idea for your daughter by the way - a very special present! My wardrobe is nowhere near as colourful as yours - mainly blue and few patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue is a good colour- full of healing.

      Delete
  12. It's been good to see the sun here too CT. It's warm and still and everything is recovering from a beating by rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light summer rain here tonight, after a butterfly sort of a day :o)

      Delete
  13. Just catching up on a few posts, at the moment I am liking the darker evenings as I can get sat down, the crocheting projects are back out, and the moth trap is filling up by nine, lovely Red Underwing in the garden feeding.

    Just had a thought, did you get to see as many Water Voles this summer ?
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did- had a day when I saw 4 and have found signs of them all along the river as per last season. They are funny little things- you can spend hours by the river (as I have) and not see one, then pop down briefly and see four in a row! xx

      Delete
  14. Well we've had two days of what my girl calls "droopy" weather! So thank you for the nourishing doses of Light and Color! Since the skies won't oblige, I am playing with color in my sketch diary. Not pushing clouds away ... just expanding my inner view ;) Your world glows! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Droopy weather is Very Tiring I always find. Good idea to get some colour in through drawing. I suspect I shall be doing more of that as the winter closes in xx

      Delete
  15. Hey CT,
    I couldn't live in a country that didn't seasons. I love each one for their own particular character. I look forward to the nights drawing in as much as I look foreard to them stretching out. I like the different food that accompanies each season. I enjoy the different hues of colour. There is a magic to each one.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exactly the same- love all the changes. It keeps things fresh. xx

      Delete
  16. The last few weeks I have really noticed the difference and see so many signs of heading towards Autumn. I recognise that stance of looking out for intruders! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x