Friday, 14 August 2015

Friday

I was awake at 2am last night (this morning) listening to the sound of the rain pouring down outside. I am not a bad sleeper. This wakefulness was the result of my husband leaping out of bed and, still fast asleep, firmly declaring his intention of sorting out some European Convention or other. This is a step down from the dream he had a few years ago where he was running the Zimbabwe election single-handed, but probably one up from the one where he was Michael Jackson's hairdresser. I'm not sure where it comes on a scale that includes presenting the weather and missing the filming slot because he was fiddling with his tie, going to work as a security guard naked, or having a pass made at him by Gordon Brown's wife, but it is probably better than taking an imaginary torch out onto the landing and determinedly looking for a group of tourists who apparently wanted to be shown round our house. He was most put out when he came back in declaring that he couldn't find them (and you thought my dream about the trackways was weird).

Needless to say he fell back asleep once I'd managed to get him back into bed and lying the right way round, and I had an hour of wakeful rain-listening instead. I couldn't decide whether the sound of rain falling on leaves or against window panes was my favourite.


Yesterday, I had Moths to look at. Waved Black, Garden Tiger, Maiden's Blush, Yellow Shell (new to the garden) and a small mystery moth whose identity I haven't yet ascertained so if anyone recognises him please let me know...


garden tiger



'Boo!'

maiden's blush

red-legged shieldbug

mystery moth

waved black

yellow shell
And after that I had a busy day of sewing, made a purse and a pair of PJs and got buttons for making Christmas presents. I think my lovely nieces will like the butterflies and I'm planning another quilt with the fat quarters.









I was forced to go to Hobbycraft today and forced to come back with a few more bits and bobs to add to the stash. My theory of it being cheaper to make presents rather than buy them may not be holding much water now. I am going to blame Rachel for the foxes because I think it's the same or very similar fabric she's been using to make lovely Teddys with this week. In fact, I am thinking she might have inspired me to have a go at something stuffed myself...



I also got some art related things because I feel the need to start drawing again (probably something to do with watching Life In Squares, although my former incarnation as an artist was sadly never quite so fleshy as all that).


I walked the dogs first thing this morning down a drizzly lane and Ted did a poo outside the house of a Neighbour I don't like very much (because he shouted at me three years ago. I know how to hold a grudge). What timing! 

Last night, Pop and I went running in the rain. Now I have my energy back I am LOVING running and have been out most days this week. Even Ted has been with us (although not yesterday as he was limping a bit). I have bought him his very own running lead which is coming all the way from China. This was necessitated by the fact that every time I pick up Poppy's orange one she leaps up and down on the spot in Great Excitement while he looks utterly crestfallen and sinks to the ground like a deflated balloon and I can't take it anymore. Ted's new lead is a blue version of Poppy's and like hers it attaches to a belt round my waist leaving my hands free (necessary when you're on all fours crawling up a hill that has defeated your running ability). I suspect this will do nothing to alleviate the slightly eccentric tag I am certain our neighbours have assigned to me, but who cares? The new pink shorts have been well-used but are no less see-through than when I made them, so I find I have to run quickly or risk shocking the neighbours. This is possibly why I made it all the way up the long, steep hill on our two mile route without stopping two days ago (first time ever). I think Pop was surprised because she kept looking back at me as if to say are you alright, mum?

I have a busy few days coming up so this may be my last post for a week or so. F and J are coming down for the weekend tonight and I have to make a cake this afternoon because it is amazing how much sixteen year old boys can eat. Tomorrow I'm out on a Dormouse survey all morning and on Sunday we're going down to Keyhaven to watch the Fastnet boats fly past (my brother in law is crewing). Monday is Birthday Day for M and L (cue more cake making this weekend. I have wrapped all the presents and now just need to collect signatures for cards) and the Grannies are coming round for tea in the afternoon. Tuesday I have a flutter survey to do, and so it goes on. In addition, there is some material calling to me on the side that wants to be made into holiday trousers and Pop keeps reminding me that one paltry walk down the lane does not mean no running later, does it? Plenty to do.

I'll leave you with some wet garden shots from this morning, a poor Small White who's just eclosed but whose wings haven't opened properly, and a sequence of one of the Blackbirds cleverly working out how a ground-feeding bird can turn himself into a suspended-from-the-air feeding bird with style and finesse (almost)....









And finally, the regulation T and P pics. Pop has reclaimed her plant pot from earlier in the year (she tells me this is because the flowers have now died), so she's back to nosing at the neighbours from inside it through the fence, and Ted is completely exhausted by the sheer number of squirrels claiming his attention at the moment, so is having to take himself off for regular naps in order to summon up the energy to bark loudly at them as they snigger at him from the hazel trees, nut in hand.....




Happy Days!

Hope all are well?

CT :o)

30 comments:

  1. Have a lovely week ahead. Sorry I don't know what that mystery moth is, but the Garden Tiger is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a lot of yellow shells by day while out running through Willow Holt nature reserve. Well, I did. Barely seen a single one this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw lots in the Spring, but this is the first in the garden.

      Delete
  3. Keep a video camera in the bedroom...it'll help us judge the weirdness your hubby's dreams...just sayin'.
    I want to kiss the floofy cheeks of the garden tiger...does that make me odd? No, thought not.
    A boat race? Oh. you lucky duck! I love boat races...fond memories of trying to spy Simon le Bon on his boat at the Solent leg of the round the world yacht race.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask what he thinks...

      Yes, VERY fluffy Garden Tiger and I hadn't really noticed till you pointed it out.

      Simon le Bon, eh? Brings back memories.... xx

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful moth the garden tiger is, quite beautiful. Love the last photo as well, so sweet. Those naughty squirrels, I can see how exhausted Ted must be. I'm always so impressed with your energy and how much you accomplish. You're most inspirational! It terrifies me to think how much 16 year olds eat, I can barely keep up with my little people already. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, especially at Keyhaven, that should be an amazing day. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden Tigers are garden moths so you may get lucky and find one in your garden by day. Teddy says please could I pass on his thanks for your sympathy as he gets very little here and we laugh when he tries to climb a tree after the little blighters :o)

      As for ginormous teens, I just cook VAST quantities of pasta and mince and vegetables washed down with viccy sponge, they seem happy enough and they are growing well on it :o)

      Have a lovely weekend too. Hope your mojo has returned a little xx

      Delete
  5. Loving the foxy material. It's a little different I think. My friend gave me it. I got those pink fat quarters. But had to step away from the rest, mainly due to POVERTY!! Today I've made a dress. It's not great. First bash on the Overlocker. Blogging later x loving T & P photos - toooo sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist it, all the more after admiring yours. I now have to stop spending money on fabric and use up what I've got (yeah, right :o) ). Well done on the dress- I am most impressed xx

      Delete
  6. Your husband has a lot going on in his head, hasn't he? :) When I see your moth pics, I think...oh that one is my favourite, no it is that one!! That tiger moth though is the new special one, it is so surprisingly exotic. Sounds like you are gearing up for a fabulous weekend, have lots of fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's on holiday now so the sleep walking and talking will stop :o)

      Moths really are such a huge and varied group, it's such a shame most of us miss knowing them.

      Have a super weekend too- I shall think of you with your running. Have told M about your achievements (he runs marathons) and he was very impressed xx

      Delete
  7. I love your moth pics and am getting braver about looking at the ones around here. I might even try and take some photos - puppy permitting. Maybe Ted could have a word with Basil about relaxing - Basil turns in to Devil Dog as soon as I reach a point of wanting to sit down and relax! Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid you've probably got Devil Dog for a while yet, if either of my two are anything to go by! xx

      Delete
  8. i have a piece of paper somewhere with all of the incredibly odd things B has said in his sleep -- extremely comical -- but i have to say they're nothing on the very exciting things your hubs gets up to in his dreams!

    i have a vivid visual of Poppy doing the up-and-down leap, Emma-dog has one when she knows she's going anywhere. she's easily excited.

    you're an absolute Trooper for going to the craft shop and buying such lovely things....the lengths you'll go to provide a happy holiday season should be applauded! ;) the biggest incentive for me to learn to Sew Things is that i have a tremendous weakness for lovely fabric. those foxes!!! *dies of swoon*

    enjoy your Week of Busy!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabric is my weakness too, that and wool once the winter arrives, but as I sorted through my wool stash yesterday and got quite a shock at how much there is I doubt I'll be buying anymore for a while! Have started using the foxy fabric- made a pencil case last night for my new art things. Post coming shortly... xx

      Delete
  9. Well I laughed and LAUGHED AND then LAUGHED again at the antic of your husband during dreams. Priceless. Yes the idea of a video would be good for him to see later as he probably does not remember it all. You certainly are doing well with the running even it is in pink see though shorts and not been arrested! Fabulous Moth shots and I love the dog images as well. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me giggle too- usually in the middle of the night while I'm listening to him! x

      Delete
  10. I love the fat quarter bundles from Hobbycraft I bought some foxy ones on Monday & some festive penguin ones for a Christmas quilt for H which I might get time to make in 2020!! Pffft what an entertaining husband you have, mine isn't anywhere near as dramatic & feeding teenagers the boy had a sleepover in the week & the cupboards need replenishing fast! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I should get more of the foxy one. I've fallen completely in love with it. xx

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous fabrics!!! Might have to take a trip there myself tomorrow! Not that I have any need or use for any such fabrics you understand. Is it OK if I blame you if I buy any???? Sounds like your hubby has some very vivid dreams indeed and with a wide range of subjects! I have very weird dreams too and it can make you feel very odd when you wake up can't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M will be glad to hear someone understands! He says I am being very unkind telling you all about his dreams :o)

      Yes, blame away- I am far enough away not to feel the wrath! xx

      Delete
  12. Life is so hard when you are such gud dugs doing your best to protect your home from naughty squirrels and people who live near. So tired
    Woe oh woe !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double woe, but then extreme happiness at the thought of getting the squirrels and going for a run with the new lead :o)

      Delete
  13. Hey CT,
    Good grief you can pack a lot into a day! Gorgeous tiger moth. Happy days indeed
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poor hubby must be exhausted when he gets up the next morning ! (And you must be too).
    The Garden Tiger Moth is so pretty. I hope the neigh our doesn't shout at Ted when he finds the little present he's left him. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't leave the poo there (too much conscience!). Just smiled childishly at the timing :o)

      Delete
  15. The Garden Tiger is gorgeous - I found one in my veg patch a few years ago and was over the moon to see it. Love the pics of the blackbird and of course the doggies. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love seeing them, quite rare these days xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x