Thursday, 27 August 2015

Colour

I was reading CJ's blog this morning (I have, during this latter part of the holidays, developed a Deliciously Self-Indulgent habit of lying in bed after M's gone to work reading my favourite blogs on my phone. It's something I shall miss when school and uni return in a week or two and I am forced to get up early. It is also healthier than my other recently-developed habit which is unfortunately equally delicious....)



CJ's blog is one of my favourites. She writes beautifully and eloquently on simple subjects of home and family, her garden and allotment, the countryside around her and most of all raising her three boys with humour and love and gentleness. I always think of her as someone who thinks quietly, carefully and honestly about the things she does and the things that are around her. It is honest, restful and comforting reading and often leaves me smiling and feeling settled.  

Now that I've sufficiently embarrassed her, I'll move on to say that her post this morning was one of her most thought-provoking, for me anyway, and I've been mulling it over ever since I read it. The subject was colour, in this instance specifically colour in clothes and what we chose to wear in terms of shades and vibrancy, and how it affects us.

It really struck a chord with me so my post today is about the colours that I surround myself with, often, as it turns out, unconsciously.

I took the camera upstairs and looked at my wardrobe properly and I was surprised to find details in it I'd never noticed before. This coat is one of my favourites. I've had it years yet never noticed before that it has the words love and dreams written in silver by the ribbon ties...


This dress is the oldest item of clothing I possess. It's an ancient Monsoon number and I love the shape of it (it's fitted at the top then releases itself into long, flowy, old fashioned lines) as well as the print, but I've never noticed before that the seam patterns don't match. I have had this dress decades and apparently never really looked properly at it until this morning. It won't spoil my enjoyment of it at all because I have a perverse love of contrary imperfections :o)


Once I was a Dark Clothes Girl. I drifted into it without noticing, because when I was at uni I wore hippy prints and colours so bright you'd need to shield your eyes to look at them. I'm not sure what happened, except that the adult world sometimes does seem a place where bright colours are frowned on. At the theatre last year I watched a woman in skin tight trousers and high high heeled boots walk across the stage and take her seat. She drew every eye in the place because the boots were shiny candy pink. I thought 'bravo!' Not my colour but I just loved that she had the confidence to wear them. I could have cheered, all the more so when the people sitting around me tutted. What's that all about eh?

.One day an old friend who was a medium told me I should be wearing more colours to lift the energy around me. It resonated, so I started thinking more about what I was buying and the shades of colour began to draw me in until one day I realised all the dark colours had left me and now my wardrobe vibrates. I do have some very vibrant cardis- pinks and reds which I put on if I'm feeling tired or low on energy, but most of the time it's soft shades with interesting patterns, a bit closer to nature.





  
I love these shoes, which are a mad kind of orange. I love the distinct white of the stitching against the orange and the grey spots on the sole, but my feet don't share that unbridled joy sadly and really complain big time if I wear them :o(



These shoes I've had for ages and I know they are the classic black to go with the little black number which I'm sure many of us have tucked away in our wardrobes, but I absolutely love the elegance of them and besides, one or two dark pieces are allowed, no?
 


Of course, you can have colour from jewellery too. I have some long necklaces of colourful beads that I wear (mostly in the winter, come to think of it, My winter clothes are also brighter and richer shades than my summer ones. Doubtless a subconscious attempt to Lift The Light)...


And here are some beaded bracelets L and I made which I put on if I feel tired and have to go out.....


I'm not a Gold Girl so I tend to wear a lot of natural beaten silver and moonstones...


Colour has been on my mind a lot this summer. From the glorious displays in the garden and the wildflower patch in particular, to all the wonderful exhilarating fabrics I've been filling the house with and the quilts I've made that are now dotted all around our home...








More recently, colour has been emerging out of a new drawing pad with the resurfacing of ancient habits that did a lot of sustaining me in younger days...


And last week I noticed how the sunlight comes through the tiny bottles of ancient perfume oils I have lined up on my dresser bringing them to life and hinting at all sorts of secret magic. The wonderful shimmering green of Frankincense that whispers of Silk Roads and Spices and hot sand and cold stars (photo doesn't do it justice at all)....


And the rich thick gold of Amber where the light has to work hard to penetrate and infiltrate, emerging somehow broader and steadier as a result, like it's been through some process of alchemy not yet quite understood by the human mind. When the oils are lit by the sun like that I feel like I want to dive into them.

.
I wish you could smell these perfumes. They are natural oils because I react badly to anything synthetic and they smell of distant places and ancient times. The tiniest amount lingers for hours once it's come into contact with the air, blending with the warmth of skin and repeating itself over and over and over...

It isn't just colour that's important in clothes, shapes and patterns resonate too. I love the detail on the neckline of this simple shift dress...


And the flowing, sweeping floral lines of the pattern in this linen...



Fruit is one category that doesn't slip in unnoticed in terms of its shapes and colours. I picked the mulberries yesterday from Ma's tree and the raspberries from our canes. Glorious!



I'll leave you with some colours that take a bit of getting used to. These are my latest Running Shorts Creations. I think M summed it up best when I appeared wearing them before our run together: 'Good Grief! We won't lose you in those, will we?'

I shall wear them With Pride (too much?) :o)

 
Hope all are well and that this gets you thinking about the colour you have in your life.

CT :o)

26 comments:

  1. I just couldn't live happily without lots of colour in my life, clothes and home are full of colour including as you know, the kitchen floor. lol
    As for old clothes, once I like an item of clothing it stays with me until it drops off, even if its faded.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are a colourful lady Bri, it shines right through you my dear x

      Delete
  2. Hi - I'm your newest follower I popped over from Amy's blog. Love your colourful outfits especially the shoes. I am a jewellery girl and like big statement pieces. I used to be more colourful with clothing when I was younger and as I have gotten older I seen to wear more black. I will have to try and wear more colour again. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan and welcome :o) Isn't it funny how colour can slip out of your life without you really noticing, until someone points your attention at it?

      Delete
  3. Very thought-provoking. I have one or two Orvis quilted jackets which are reversible. I have had them for years and I love them dearly. On the whole I tend to like any colour so long as it is black, but last year I decided to break out and bought myself a red coat. It certainly made me feel good so I bought some red checked trousers to go with it!
    I have made quilts for all our beds. I used to find it a very satisfying hobby but now I have a tremble and find threading the machine |(or even a needle) difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red seems to be the one colour that really strikes a chord with people (women?). I remember a friend buying a red coat a few years back and how much we all admired it, in a 'my goodness that's daring' sort of way. Red is a great strong colour to wear. I believe some sewing machines are self-threading these days- might be worth investigating, if you miss the sewing x

      Delete
  4. I once spotted an elderly woman in the waiting room of my Dr's surgery. A very genteel soul she looked too, I was particularly struck by her red patent shoes. She had a grey outfit on but bright red patent shoes & I'm still searching for a similar pair. I adore CJ's blog I agree with your thoughts on it & her. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red again- amazing how that one colour really stands out. I was after a pair of red leather boots for years but eventually gave up as I couldn't find them. Good Old (young) CJ, eh? xx

      Delete
  5. No, the shorts aren't too much at all, they're brilliant. Thank you for the lovely words, I'm all pink and smiley now. Thank you. Lovely to have a peek into your wardrobe, you have some wonderful things. You've reminded me of a Monsoon dress I used to have (where did it go???) that I loved. I'm a silver-wearer as well, I absolutely love it. The shoes are fab, and I bet you look amazing in them. I'm envious of those mulberries, I've only ever tasted one or two, but I remember them being divine. So good that I have a teeny tiny mulberry tree. I'm a patient gardener. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love your mulberry tree once it gets big enough to have berries I'm sure :o) Mum's is now 15 years old or so and is huge and packed with fruit. V welcome re the words- meant every one xx

      Delete
  6. Perhaps not expecting me to comment CT but I thought why not? (it's only because I have recently had a sort out of my wardrobe of late). My dress sense could be said to be utilitarian at best, as I tend to think of it's uses before colour. My clothes for my employment are either dark navy blue or black being as I fix (or attempt to fix) machines in a morass of detritus. My domestic wear is no less unexciting as I am a jeans and T-shirt die hard with the vast majority of the T-shirts being of earthy tones...greens, brown, mustard yellow and the like, though I do possess a couple of checked 'lumber jack' shirts! I do possess some shorts which fall into two types....cut down jeans or tan walking shorts. So I guess this may well mark me out as rather a dull character....but there is some colour in my life these days...the flowers and foliage in the garden are at the moment a kaleidoscope of different colours and tones, later this year the delicate hues of my home made cider and damson gin will send colours around the kitchen from the window sill that they will sit on as the low sun shines through them echoing colours of church stained glass, then there will be the vibrant colours of the sea and beaches along the coast of Cornwall come the end of Sept when we have our long awaited break.....such simple colours are around me at all times, one just has to open your eyes. Yes I prefer to pass by unnoticed but that does not mean that I fail to notice the simple pleasures....hope this makes some sort of sense CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased you did comment my dear- colour is not the preserve of women alone, although M would agree with you about neutral tones. He does have some jazzy shirts though :o)

      Agree too about colour in the garden and from produce. So nice to have something cheerful as the light fades too and the description of your cider and damson gin made me want to go and make some too! x

      Delete
  7. oh, i know exactly what you mean about CJ's blog -- it's one of my new favourites too, for precisely the same reasons you've mentioned. *sigh*

    i loved her clothes post -- and now you've got me thinking about my clothes and colour choices. i'd have to say i veer sharply into the category of Eclectic --with an increasing bias toward Not-Giving-A-Rat's-Backside about fashion rules and regulations. for instance, those of us of Smaller Stature, aren't "supposed" to wear long skirts. pfffft. same goes for long cardis. also - pfffft.

    oh - mulberries! there was a patch of feral mulberries near our old house, the children and i used to go and stuff our faces. and there's one at the edge of our pond....and it's a race to get there before the creatures. ;)

    your choices in colour and fabric are just what i'd choose -- clearly we're some sort of twin-separation situation -- so i absolutely LOVE those shorts. very jazzy. see? yet another reason to get sewing -- could you ever find something so brilliant as those shorts in a shop? i think not.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm generally unconcerned about fashion too. Spending so much of my time outdoors means it isn't practical and comfort wins the day every time (plus I don't like being told what I can and can't do and feel very strongly that we have a duty to break stupid rules like shorter folk and longer skirts :o) ).

      I'm pondering what to do with the mulberries. I have made mulberry vodka before but this year feel like cooking with them. Jam maybe?

      Yes, I feel we have a certain twinness too :o) Never thought about not being able to find my running shorts in a shop, but you're right, that's what I like about sewing (plus they worked out at £2.50!) xx

      Delete
  8. Hi CT, my Google profile (which I use to comment with) is playing up on blogspot sites, so sorry if you have already received a comment from me. I know Wordpress and blogspot aren't very good at talking to one another and I thought I'd got round the problem with Google but we shall see. Anyhow, I just wanted to say how much I loved seeing your colours, which are all English Rose colours I think. The great thing about shoes is that you don't have to worry about their colour so I have red running shoes and pink summer walking shoes. Amber is one of my favourite scents, my son brought me home a piece from Morocco recently. I think if people realised what went into so-called perfume they wouldn't wear it. Have a great weekend and hope the adjustment to school and uni goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did take me a while to make the connection with your blog as you fooled me appearing as Sarah :o) Got it now though... There were two comments so it is working, I've deleted the other one.

      My running shoes are incredibly bright (or they were when new- now mud covered!), and my walking boots are lilac/ purple. I am put in mind of Wendy Cope's poem 'when I am an old woman I shall wear purple'....

      Have a lovely weekend too xx

      Delete
  9. The shorts are ace, I like colour, both bold and muted. That drawing would make a wonderful fabric, I would wear it and quilt it. I have quilts dotted around along with small hills of cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of small hills of cushions... :o)

      Delete
  10. Lovely post CT. I an a colour girl too, I deliberately stay away from black, although for practical reasons do have a few dark items of clothing. Bright colours are uplifting and I believe create positive energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a few black items are allowed :o) I agree about the affect on colour on energy too. x

      Delete
  11. Hey CT,
    I'm a huge CJ fan, and was lucky enough to meet up with her last year. She is every bit as lovely as you woukd expect. Plus she is deliciously cool in that unconcious manner that some people have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I didn't know you guys had met up. I have a feeling CJ and I may have 'met' through your blog in the first place... xx

      Delete
  12. Sorry. Just pressed send! I'm using my phone, cause I have no. Bloody. Computer. Anyway, I am in love with those fab wedges. And your running shorts are the best to date.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's happened to your computer? I shall make you a pair of shorts with the remaining material :o) xx

      Delete
  13. I always love reading CJ's blog too, and enjoyed reading the inspiration it gave you for this post. Loved the story of the pink boots and your running shorts. Thank you so much for the seeds that arrived today, I have already sown them. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're v welcome re seeds- glad they arrived in one piece :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x