Tuesday, 21 July 2015

New Sewing Club Creations & Bop Update From Yesterday

For those who have been wondering how Bop got on last night- the Big Release was paused as it rained heavily here late afternoon and Owlets don't do well in rain. It can flood their downy feathers which don't dry easily and leave them cold and damp. It also keeps the wood mice and voles that are their preferred diet safely tucked up indoors. Altogether, this would not have been the start we all want for him, so we've postponed his release until Weds or Thurs.

In the meantime, I have been busy making things at sewing club. I mastered zips today. This was complicated by the addition of a lining which took me ages to get my head round, as you have to sew the zip in four separate times and then turn the resulting double bags inside out (!) but the end result was good so I was chuffed. Me feels more Christmas presents being sorted, eh?.....



I also made a duffel bag out of some of the wolf print fabric I got for L. My plan had been to sew it into a quilt for him, but it bears the rather alarming legend: not for use in children's night wear on its raw edges, and having held it over the gas hob to test it and found it went up like a bloody inferno in seconds, I swiftly decided to follow the instruction. 

Anyhoo, the duffel bag will do for overnight clothes when we go on hols this summer. It's Another First for me in terms of sewing. My excellent sewing teacher showed me how to put it all together so all the raw edges are hidden neatly away. I got some calico cheap from ebay and used it to line the bag and give it extra strength. All in all I'm pleased with the way it turned out. It's now hidden away until his birthday next month :o)



Finally, I've been baking (and eating the results, but I'm also back to running so I figure that's OK :o) ). 

 
I always find myself baking more when illness comes close to us. As if the creation of good, life-affirming food is a magic spell that weaves health about us and banishes illness. Like a talisman, Standing Guard.

One of my relations is very poorly. She has been for a while, but now her eyesight is failing as a result of the illness, or the operation, or the treatment, or a mixture of all three, and she is feeling very low as a result. So I'm going to brave my dislike of cities and crowds of people, get the train and go up to London to see her. 

She's someone I have been very close to all my life, a person who lit up my childhood, largely by giving me thoroughly inappropriate presents such as fluorescent pink hairsprays and glitter to go all over my face. Even now when she's so unwell and her texts and emails contain sad news about her illness, it is delivered bound up in her typically irreverent sense of humour and her joy in simple things. 

In addition to this, the mother of a dear friend of mine is also very, very unwell. You end up feeling quite helpless to do anything but listen, and you wish for a magic wand. I've been through this lots of times over the years with family, with patients and with friends, but it never gets any easier.  

Sorry to end on a sad note. I have been thinking though how little Bop is a shining light amid all of this. A new life, saved when it was threatened, and now ready to go Home to The Wild. It's a place we all return to, eventually.

Wishing you all a peaceful evening,

CT x

26 comments:

  1. Sad news indeed CT, so sorry to hear about your family member and your friend's mother. For what it is worth I think you are so right to seek comfort in making wholesome food and to see Bop as a beacon of hope. Hopefully the weather will change for all concerned. On a lighter note, I love that wee bag of wolves, L will be delighted. I bought some fabric with the same warning on it. Plan A was for pj's then after seeing the warning - pillowcases but you have made me think twice, never would have related bedding to apparel. So thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll make a cake to take with me when I go visiting- a drop of the countryside in London. It will make her smile to think of me travelling up on the train carrying it :o)

      Yes, do think twice about the pillowcases. I thought exactly the same and was poised to make them then decided I didn't want to risk it. Worth double checking with the manufacturers? xx

      Delete
  2. Certainly a good idea to keep Bop until such time as the weather has settled down a bit. Illness in the family makes one feel helpless doesn't it? But any visit is sure to cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish she lived nearer then I could do more. You do feel helpless on the end of the phone/ computer.

      Delete
  3. I find baking is very comforting when I am worried about family or friends. I hope that your family member and friend's mother will appreciate seeing you/just having you listen. I have lost a dear friend this year, and my best friend has terminal cancer, so I know how you must be feeling.

    I am glad that Bop is bringing brightness to your day, and well done with the sewing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you losing your friend but hadn't realised that another close to you is poorly too. I'm sorry to hear it. It is so difficult but we have to go on and remain positive as much as possible.

      Yes, dear little Bop. There is always something in life to bring a smile, thank goodness :o)

      Delete
  4. You are doing so well in your sewing class. Wonderful !
    I have been wondering how Bop was doing. A big no to wet feathers.
    Sorry about all the illness. Baking and soup making always seem to make us feel we are doing something.
    Take care,

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wet feathers- a definite and resounding NO! :o) I will post some more photos of him as we set him free (hopefully Thursday).

      I think making food is a life-enhancing thing to do in more ways than one. It seems to unify us all. Hope the boys are OK x

      Delete
  5. Your sewing creations are wonderful as is the look of that Victoria sponge with cream and jam! Hope you got out for a run today says she who made lemon drizzle cake on Sunday and has just got back from the pub where wine and crisps were the second treat of the day. Having very healthy courgette pasta for supper though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No running today- too much sewing! I've clocked up a handful of miles since last Fri so feel OK. Will go again tomorrow :o)

      Delete
  6. Hey CT,
    I am reading this post while eating a life affirming bowl of pesto pasta with extra cheese, after two days of hideousness. I am totally down with the life affirming properties of comfort food. I did chuckle at image of you holding that brilliant fabric over the flames. It's the sort of thing I'd do to be honest. I have actually set fire to myself before now. I was wearing my gilet while cooking, and it just sort of went poof. Luckily it was only my pride that was injured. And the gilet.
    Looking forward to Bop's flight.
    Take care.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been Quite Scary. And annoying.

      I'm sorry you've had a crap couple of days. It is small comfort when in the middle of days like that, but I generally find if I can grit my teeth and hold on the balance rights itself eventually.

      Take care too hun xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry there's sadness and illness among those close to you and yours. Well done on the running though. I need to get on with some more running, I think it helps with lots of things. The sewing is great, lining and a zip, brilliant! I hope the weather looks up for Bop. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ :o) I find running enormously helpful with all sorts of things above and beyond fitness, the beauty of it being you don't need to cover miles to get the benefit too. xx

      Delete
  8. baking was my go-to activity when i lost my Nanna -- for the life-affirming-ness of it and because it will always remind me of her. i have the most delightful image in my head of you carrying a cake on the train.....:)

    sorry to here about the weather delay for wee Bop...but better he gets off in good weather and every chance of a good start.

    fabulous sewing, as always - and well done with the zip -- that's an Advanced Skill to be sure.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking reminds me of my Granny too. It's funny how it's capable of stirring such strong memories and making the years just fade away xx

      Delete
  9. it is always sad to see loved ones health deteriorate but you are doing the right thing. it is your time to help now. You sewing is coming on in leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way Margaret, that's in my time to help her after all she has given me over the years.

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry to hear you have sad news in your family & circle of friends, it's always a struggle. Oh no that fabric!, is it the one I recommenced to you? & just so I have the correct image in my head did you you cut a piece off & use tongs above the flames? :) Love that you used it to make a duffle bag, it still came in useful. I hope you are able to release Bop this week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is The Wolf fabric :o) And yes, I did snip a small piece and hold it with tongs (under strict instructions from my OH!). I've made L a zipped up bag with it today for keeping odds and ends in and am tempted to also make up a wash bag. It's a good job he likes wolves! xx

      Delete
  11. So sorry to hear about your friend and your friends Mum, my best good thoughts and hugs to you all. I know that it is very tough. Thinking of you. Very good sewing, especially the zip! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear :o) We all keep going... Sewing is helping a lot! xx

      Delete
  12. Sending you a bit of internetty love xxx just because x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a lovely tribute to your friend. And spending time with her is the best gift. I am very impressed with your sewing creations btw. I must learn how to put a zip in a lined bag. That would open up all sorts of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Putting a zip in a lined bag took me a few goes but I think I'm there now. The trick is to make a 'zip sandwich' with the outer material and lining material either side of it, then when you turn it the right way out there are no ragged edges :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x