Friday, 17 July 2015

Mothy Mayhem

Now, you all know that I love moths. But in July I find I have to Gird My Loins to put the moth box out, and take a Deep Breath when it's time to record them. The reason is that it's the height of Moth Season and there are hundreds of them flying. There are currently 76 distributed around the ceilings/ walls/ windows of the breakfast room and I had Quite A Few sitting on me while I was working. They'll be there till nightfall and then we'll spend an hour or so collecting them and getting them all outside.

My heart sinks a little bit at the prospect. There are basically Moths Everywhere :o)

I recorded 58 different species and 314 individuals from last night, but the real number is much higher because some escaped and there were an awful lot of micros that I didn't record. Also (gasp) Poppy ate TWO! (and then escaped to see the workmen next door, who kindly returned her and helped me look for the escape hole, which we couldn't find. Naughtiness Abounds at the moment, apparently).

It shows that the garden and surrounding area is healthy - moths are indicator species for climate change and the health of the environment - so that's Good To Know. There were a few of my all-time favourites in the box (Rosy Footman, a Garden Tiger), as well as 37 Buff Arches and 53 Uncertains (the largest single species groups). And there was what I think is a twin-spot carpet, a rare moth for round here, so we'll start off with him...

Twin-spot carpet (Mesotype didymata)
 
Blood vein

Broad-bordered yellow underwing

Buff Arches

Coronet

Elephant Hawk

Garden Tiger

Garden Tiger

Garden Tiger

Garden Tiger

Garden Tiger

Lobster Moth

Maiden's Blush (wins the prize for the best Moth Name)

Miller

Peppered

Rosy Footman (love 'em)

Ruby Tiger

Sallow Kitten

Scalloped Hook-tip

Small fan-footed wave
 
Yellow Tail
I have to say I'm Rather Looking Forward to Autumn, when moth numbers drop and the Sallows and Merveille Du Jours and maybe a Clifdon NonPareill or two come visiting.

Off Dormouse surveying again tomorrow. I'll take the camera, just in case....

Hope all are well. Wishing you all a lovely weekend,

CT :o)

26 comments:

  1. Well that is a lot of Moths esoecially round your home. Could you not take a night or 2 off from putting the moth trap out to give yourself and your family a break? The photographs are all lovely, Have a lovely weekend and hope yu see a Dormouse.(on camera!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time the box has been out since June Margaret :o)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful selection of moths, I do like the Blood Vein moth. Don't think I could cope with that many it would take me all day to sort through them..
    Hope you find a Dormouse I'm of to do a butterfly count at the park..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to take me hours, but it's surprising how quickly you learn the IDs. That's why the Skinner is a perfect option when you're starting out- you shouldn't get so many of a morning, but enough to start learning. Good luck with the flutter count xx

      Delete
  3. A myriad of moths congregate on our kitchen window each night. I haven't a clue what they are but some of them are incredibly beautiful.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am sure you know by now, I have a moth-phobia. How anyone is brave enough to have one perch on a finger I don't know! But I have to admit your photographs are beautiful and I have already pointed another moth fanatic in your direction!
    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same with spiders so I completely understand!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful. I love the elephant hawk moth and the tigers, they're fantastic. I have a whole new appreciation of moths, so thank you. And the names of the last two you mention, enchanting. Poppy sounds as though she is Testing The Boundaries at the moment. There's a bit of that going on here as well, although with less moth eating. Wishing you a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has your ellie hawk pupa emerged yet, CJ? Have been wondering about it. And as for Pop, possibly a result of a lack of a walk that morning, but more probably just naughtiness, plain and simple :o) x

      Delete
  6. Lime Hawk moth feding on my pot of lilies. Another first moth sighting for me. I am noticing lots outside the windows when I draw the curtains in the evening. Have a great day dormouse surveying tomorrow. We're going to a concert at Leith Hill House tomorrow evening so I'm looking forward to a walk on the hill in the gloaming accompanied by my best-beloved before heading to the pub for suppper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I am EXTREMELY jealous! That is high on my list of wishes to see here :o) And your evening sounds lovely x

      Delete
  7. Stunning - I'm almost getting to like moths. I'm just a bit scared of them! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm afraid the rosy footman gets my vote for best name...;)

    i do hope you see a dormouse tomorrow....and that you take a photo so we can all collapse and swoon from the adorableness of it all!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosy Footmen are one of my most favourite of moths :o) And as for the Dormouse....check out my next post.... :o) xx

      Delete
  9. Moths are really beautiful. I saw a large white moth on the goat barn one day this week but didn't have my camera with me. I do like that Rosy Footman. I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are much prettier than most people expect them to be. I bet you get some beauties.

      Delete
  10. Such a shame about Poppy's munching tendencies! I hope that the dormouse spotting has gone well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a munchkin! Yup, super morning out in the woods- pics are on the next post. Hope all's well with you xxx

      Delete
  11. A great selection of moths - many of those I have never trapped here. I really love the Blood Vein and the Garden Tigers. Saw one of the latter, sadly dead on the pavement, last year in Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tigers are some of my favourites- so striking :o)

      Delete
  12. Hey CT,
    Wonderful. I have seen a few Garden Tigers in the garden. I think the Blood Vein is my favourite though.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear about your Tigers, there is some suggestion that their number's aren't doing so well xx

      Delete
  13. A lovely selection but I'm interested to know how you catch them to put them outside in the evening. Do you do it before you put any lights on inside? Because I have experience of moths coming in through open windows in the evening and then going quite loopy buzzing around incessantly and being practically impossible to catch to put outside, and that's usually just one moth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time round we just shut the door to the rest of the house and opened all the windows and the garden door- pretty much all of them took themselves out as it got dark. Otherwise, I've got pooter pots we gently scoop them up in and release them that way xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x