Monday, 20 July 2015

In Which I Go To See Bop, And Get Some Good News (and some new pictures)...

So, I've been over to Wiltshire to see Jill and my Baby Bop. Here is he: very nearly All Grown Up....


What a Handsome Owl he has turned in to, don't you think? He clicked his beak when he saw me and there was a fair amount of Head Bobbing going on too, as he tried to remember who I was :o)

Remember this little fluff-ball whom we found injured on the road back at the end of May, not very old and bleeding from a cracked beak?
 

We all thought he might not make it, but....here is is a week later, still fluffy but looking decidedly less shocked than the night of his accident and feeding OK on the brown mice Jill was offering him...
 

And now here we are, nearly eight weeks later, he is almost fully-feathered and flying about energetically in his shed like a Properly Grown Up Wol :o)



Isn't he beautiful?

The Good News is that Jill thinks he is ready to be released, so I am driving back over to her place this evening to collect him. If all goes well, he'll fly up into our lovely old Apple Tree as the gloaming comes down, and from thence be off into The Wild. I hope The Wild will look after him and that Instinct is so deeply entrenched it will take over once he is free and show him how to fend for himself.

I shall be whispering a word or two to the Apple Tree and asking him to look after Bop. We are Old Friends, that tree and I. For many years he took very great care of my children while they climbed among his branches and swung happily from the swing that hangs by him- I'm sure he will care for the owl to the best of his ability.

So, I am feeling slightly nervous, because returning any wild animal to The Wild is a big thing, with no guarantee of success, but we have reached that point where he needs to be free. 
We'll all be willing him on, right?  I'm sure that counts for something.
I should be releasing him about 8pm UK time tonight- if you can spare a moment to send him luck and love about that time when he'll be making his First Foray into his real world, I'd appreciate it. I feel you're all part of his story too. I will of course report back tomorrow and let you know. 



CT :o)

36 comments:

  1. Clicking his beak at you is a great sign ...he's telling you to Eff Off!
    When I released, I'd feel sick with worry for 24hrs...but knew that I'd done my best and had released the animal back to Mother Nature' care.
    3pm my time....I'll be sending Bop vibes.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same about the clicking and was very pleased to see it. It's what he did when we found him. I'm hoping it means he has the instinct to survive. So far he has.
      They are wise words about knowing you've done all you can and trusting Mother Nature- none of us want him to end up human-reliant. Thank you in advance for the freedom vibes xx

      Delete
    2. When budgies click their beaks it's because they are happy! What a beautiful Wol x

      Delete
    3. Interesting how different species have the same behaviour but with different meanings xx

      Delete
  2. That's fabulous news CT, how very exciting! Gosh hasn't he grown well & I hope you don't shed too many tears this evening. I shall be thinking of you all tonight at 8pm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Will be keeping everything crossed for him xx

      Delete
  3. Oh what fabulous news! He is so gorgeous and lucky that you found him. Best of bestest luck tonight -sending some positive thoughts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear, keeping fingers and toes crossed here too xx

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, what a worrying time. I do hope he can look after himself, Have you had any advice on what to do for the best? It would certainly be awful for him to have to spend a lifetime in captivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been with a friend of mine who is an experienced animal rehabber and it's on her advice that we're releasing him tonight. Tawnies can become very human-reliant so ideally you have as little to do with them as possible and release them as soon as they're ready. Still a nerve-wracking time though!

      Delete
  5. Oh Yes I remember when your foundhim and indeed he has really grown up into a lovely fellow. I do hope he keeps safe in the wild when you release him tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've delayed his release until later this week as we've had torrential rain here this afternoon. x

      Delete
    2. A rain delay..in the UK?
      (tongue firmly in cheek)
      Jane x

      Delete
    3. Talk about timing! Oh well, Nature knows best. Evidently later in the week has more auspicious energies for Owl Release :o) xx

      Delete
  6. I do hope it goes well when he does get released. He's such a sweetie. Love those big innocent eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) I'm always struck by how huge their eyes are.

      Delete
  7. He is looking super, what a change... Shame the weather stopped you letting him go, I know they don't like the rain..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill has the magic touch :o) Rain is dangerous for owlets- the down gets quickly waterlogged and they can't always dry off properly. I'd rather wait for a dry night and give him every fighting chance xx

      Delete
  8. What a very fine fellow Bop is. He looks ready for the wildwood to me. Did you mention torrential rain. Here in the lee of the hills it's just occasional murky drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It poured for about half an hour and then (typical) the sun came out! Oh well, better safe than sorry :o)

      Delete
  9. Really hope the release goes well. He is a very beautiful owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. They are such beautiful creatures.

      Delete
  10. He really has changed a lot hasn't he! It is so great that he has recovered so well. I hope that the release went well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the feathers- makes him look very grown up :o) Release delayed till weds/ thurs because of heavy rain xx

      Delete
  11. Oh he's gorgeous isn't he. I'm sending him my very best wishes for his release into the wild. Will he be ringed? Good luck little Bop. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't be ringed. I know they can be useful for monitoring but I have a bit of a reaction against human trappings on wild things. Thanks for the good luck thoughts- I am certain it makes a difference xx

      Delete
  12. Great to see him doing so well - so hope the release is successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Caroline :o) I'm relieved he's made it this far- let's hope it bodes well for when he's out under his own steam.

      Delete
  13. He looks amazing but still very cute! I hope all goes well with the release. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy. I am nervously keeping everything crossed! xx

      Delete
  14. Blop looks so handsome you must be so proud of him. I do hope the release goes well with the revised day! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's turned out lovely and I am proud of him. Many thanks, Sarah xx

      Delete
  15. Just reading back through your blog CT, great to see Bop looking so well. Fingers crossed his release back into the wild is successful.

    What a super post, thanks for updating us on his progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. It has been a really special experience watching him grow.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x