Saturday, 13 June 2015

Park Run New PB & Mottisfont's Rose Garden

M and I did a Park Run this morning.

For those of you who haven't heard about these, they are free events organised by volunteers for everyone and anyone who's registered to turn up at their local park (provided it's hosting a park run) and set off over a 5k course (3 miles) at 9am with a group of other runners. 

You get given a ticket with a barcode when you sign up which you take with you to the run, and when you finish you're given another bar-coded ticket with your race position. These are all fed into a computerised system and a few hours later your results are emailed to you.

Here's the link if you're interested in joining in- they are very friendly events and people of all ages and abilities do them. Some folks do a mix of walk and run, some jog slowly, some sprint, but everyone claps and cheers everyone over the finish from the fastest to the slowest and all the marshals around the course are GREAT at encouraging you on. I thoroughly recommend them.

I knocked a minute off my PB this morning and was 5th for my age catagory and about 50th female back. My overall position was about 290th out of 600, so I was pretty chuffed. We were overtaken A LOT at the start, but (pleasingly) steadily overtook other people from about half way round (and up hills :o)) and no one overtook us from that point on, which is Good For The Mind when running. I even managed to chat to M on the way round (last time it was all I could do to have breath to keep moving!). I put this down to all the Hill Training I do here (we live on a hill, so whichever way you go, you're faced with an incline at some point), and all the lunges I do in the garden afterwards! We also sprinted the last half mile (let's gloss over the dizziness and nausea at the finish and the fact I thought there was a very good possibility at one point I might just fall over) and we finished in a good time, averaging about 8.4 mins per mile (good for me anyway- my darling husband ran with me and dropped about 8 mins off his average time as a result!),

M is fit as a flea and a bit of a speed demon when it comes to runs (as well as an endurance demon, come to that, being a whizz at marathons too). I am more sedate in my running and have slowly built up from half a mile two years ago to a regular 2 mile run which I try and do at least every other day. with the odd 3 miler and one 5 miler thrown in recently.

Running is Good For You. Its good for your heart and lungs, good for your legs and bum (bonus if you're female and of a certain age....) AND it's good for your mind. I feel clean, refreshed and energised after a run (and totally justified in eating cakes, chocolates and biscuits...). And you really DON'T Need to clock up miles and miles to get the benefits. I also find I don't succumb to bugs in the same way since running and have much better muscle tone these days too.


Last night, in the pouring rain, Poppy came with me on my regular run. She was on her Special Lead which attaches to a belt round my middle and we had Great Fun charging around the lanes together while the rain beat down and people in passing cars slowed down to smile at her. We met a man walking his Border Terrier who grinned as we flew past. Probably because (as you know) Pop is tiny wee but fierce as fierce can be and her little legs were working like billy-o as she galloped along. My time was 2 minutes faster than it normally is, which I put down to a) her pulling me and b) a reluctance to let her down by going more slowly :o)



Of course, this morning she saw two sets of trainers going on and leapt up and down for joy at the thought of another run. Needless to say her crestfallen expression when she realised she wasn't coming with us was awful to witness. Next time I might take her along, and keep at the back so she doesn't trip anyone up! I wonder if they'll give her her own registration card then she can build up her log of running achievements and keep track of where she is in the league too.....
 
So, that's my Motivational Speech For The Day done, now you can sit back and enjoy the Wonders of Mottisfont's Rose Garden, as witnessed yesterday when Ma and I made our Annual Pilgrimage to the Abbey......
 


 

 





 
 


 

 

 







 

 


Glorious, no?

Right-o, I'm off to plant some marjoram, chives, thyme and hyssop in the newly-created Herb Garden :o) Hope you're all having a Lovely Weekend?

I am :o)

CT x








 

20 comments:

  1. Am profoundly impressed with your fitness endeavours - and profoundly impressed with your flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with your run...looks like a lot of fun and Poppy is obviously having a great time. Your post makes me want to visit Mottisfont again, the gardens looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A trip to Mottisfont to see the roses is never time wasted :o)

      Delete
  3. Well done, old man just manages to walk at my pace never mind run, all though he can have a mad minute chancing round but he does not like walking to much in the warm weather.
    The flowers look lovely and well done spotting the nest.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wren was inside the door surround- amazing! xx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your run!!! That is brilliant!!! Very pleased for you. I love the photo of you and Poppy running, she looks as though she is in full flight!! No wonder she wanted to go again. I hope that it wore her out a little to give Teddy a rest! Stunning roses and peonies! The fragrance must have been wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running with Poppy is such fun- she just loves it and her enthusiasm is infectious! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, what a sensational place. Absolutely gorgeous, especially that door in the wall with the pink rose climbing up alongside and the first rose. Beautiful. Well done indeed on the run, very impressive. You make a very good case for it, in fact I believe you have almost sold me on the whole idea. I'm nearly there! Dear Poppy looks fantastic hurtling along, ears flying in the breeze. Enjoy the rest of the weekend CT. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mottisfont is special- well worth a visit. The rose garden is breathtaking and the estate around the abbey is lovely too with the river Test running through it- your boys would love it I'm sure xx

      Delete
  6. Mottisfont is lovely and a real treat to visit this time of year. Thank you for the gorgeous photos. Also I love how you encourage and motivate, my mantra has always been to do something sporty every day even if it's just a cycle to the allotment. I don't think I'd realised how tiny Poppy is, she is flying along. Well done CT, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky- we only live a short drive away from Mfont and as we're members are planning another look this week as the roses are not all coming out at once as per previous years so it should be a longer season.
      It is good to do something active each day isn't it? I feel so much better for it. And running with Pop is enormous fun.

      Delete
  7. Your flowers photos are lovely but the best photos is of you and Poppy !
    What a sweetheart !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mottisfont - so beautiful. I hope to go there again, but this time I was down my friend chose Exbury for her day out (it WAS her birthday, after all!)

    Well done with the running and can't Poppy hurtle?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exbury's an interesting place too. Mottisfont definitely well worth a visit :o)

      Delete
  9. Well done with the running.

    The gardens at Mottisfont are stunningly beautiful - wish they weren't so far away! Was only thinking the other day I must try and get to Coughton Court this month and see the walled garden there I discovered last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o)

      Coughton Court sounds lovely- I can't resist a walled garden! x

      Delete
  10. oh. my. those roses! *dribble*

    i started running again last summer -- i used an app for my silly pink phone C25K [couch to 5K] and it really felt good to be fit again. then i took more hours on at work and it sort of fell by the wayside. then again, i log about 10 miles of walking in a day so i don't feel too badly. good on you for a new PB! and i vote for Poppy getting her own barcode -- her achievements ought to be recognized! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about running is you really don't need to do miles and go fast to get the benefit. I often alternate walking and running and don't feel any less exercised and healthy than if I'd run the entire route :o) x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x