Thursday, 4 June 2015

Home

This has been a Week Of Home.

I haven't wanted to stray far. The dogs and I have wandered the garden, camera in hand, eyes open, enjoying all the small things and the ever-increasing warmth of the days, the lessening of the gales that howled in the beginning part of the week, the arrival of more baby birds and the return of the Goldfinches.

 
The garden, for the most part, survived the bluster of the winds. All except the ox-eye daisies, who threw their arms up in the air like hysterical women at the first sign of trouble, and then bent so low to the ground in supplication that they found, once the Wind had withdrawn, that they couldn't get up again without help. They reminded me of old ladies curtseying too deeply to an irascible King they were trying to placate.

Anyway, horseshoe nails and garden string resolved the problem of their infirmity and now all they need do is turn their faces back towards the sun.

I have Become Friends with some Hairy Shieldbugs who are living in the hedge woundwort with their friend, a Speckled Bush Cricket, at the top of the garden near the wild area.

Yesterday, I found one of them sitting on a nicotiana seedling on the patio. 

The patio is some distance from the top of the garden so I was surprised.


Later, I went to show M the HSB but she'd gone. Look what I found instead...


HSB eggs! They are tiny- a mm or two across only. It makes me wonder how many eggs and new lives are lived in our gardens that we never notice, and what a resource they are for our wild things.

I also found a caterpillar that looks to be pupating hidden in the groove of a trowel...


 And another caterpillar steadily munching its way through an Honesty penny...


Meanwhile Brian (my Orange Tip pillar), has doubled in size over the last few days to 6mm in length. Luckily, He stays put on his Cuckoo Flower in more or less the same place at the moment so I can find him easily and photograph and measure him every day. When he gets a little bigger I'll move him into the butterfly cage so I can make sure he has enough to eat as the Cuckoo Flower we have won't last long and there is no Jack In The Hedge I can put him on in the garden. Two eggs were laid but only Brian hatched.


 
Other Children keeping me entertained this week include this adorable but Highly Demanding Blue Tit Child who appeared on the feeders with his parent....






The Starling Mob...


It turns out there are FIVE babies. They rather gave the impression of secret agents from the 1940s stalking their mark in a cloak and dagger sort-of-way as they followed their parent across the lawn...


Also, this rather Chubby Blackbird's Child...


Dad performed some Impressive Acrobatics in order to get her her supper, while she sat on the grass watching impassively...


With the return of warmer weather and still air have come the Butterflies. Two peacocks, a Red Admiral and a Comma. I sat with one of the Peacocks for ages yesterday, watching her as she moved busily across the scabious....




The Red Admiral is, I suspect, a migrant newly arrived from across the sea, judging by the battered appearance...



And the Comma is so perfect it must be a fresh emergent from today. The white 'comma' that gives the species its name is evident in the pic below.



One of my pupae also emerged- a Lunar Yellow Underwing...


Unfortunately, one of the hindwings didn't fill out properly and remained twisted, making it highly unlikely this moth will be able to fly and therefore survive.


The garden is buzzing with bees. It's such a delight to hear and see...


And my Wildflower Turf is also attracting lots of pollinators as more and more flowers bloom...




 
The Banjo-Playing Frog has been getting about. This morning, I found him sitting by the other pond. Clearly, I will have to keep my eye on him :o)


I'll leave you with some shots from around the garden. It's done me good to have a Home Week. 


 




Salad Burnett- a good plants for moths and other insects





And finally some shots of T and P, who clearly find pottering at home exhausting.....
As Teddy's eyes appear to have disappeared it's a good job they're off to see Mrs Danning for a hair cut in a couple of weeks :o)



And finally finally, a bunch of flowers from the garden for you all (some of which are courtesy of Poppy, who's been very busy indeed investigating voles and knocking the blooms off in the process :o)


Happy Days,

CT :o)

26 comments:

  1. Lovely pics as usual CT, your garden looks lovely. We had two Goldfinches this morning which made me very excited! Doesn't take much these days...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Shauna :o) Wild Child in a different sort of way, eh? xx

      Delete
  2. It looks as though all of the creatures have been keeping you very busy at home this week! Your flowers are beautiful aren't they. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden looks happier this year- things have filled out and found their way xx

      Delete
  3. Well you didn't seem to go very far because it looks as if it is all happeneing on your patch. Marvelous shots of the insects, flowers and of course the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good spot for sure, Margaret :o)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos.. we have goldfinches that out eating us out of house and home, they are devouring the sunflower hearts at great speed.. but I'll forgive them :o) I'm loving all the baby birds that are around at the moment, those poor parents work so hard to feed them :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super birds aren't they? Lovely to have them around. x

      Delete
  5. Home days are some of the best kind to have, methinks. and when there's such a beautiful view and such wonderful company, it makes one wonder why one would want to stray too far at all....

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you a crab spider! I look at my blooms often hoping to find one. Bless Poppy sniffing the flowers, Rocky hound is disgracing himself by snapping branches of a red currant bush & chopping off raspberry canes in his haste to snap at the birds. Not the goldfinches though, their chatter scares him! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got lots of crab spiders here- be surprised if you didn't find any. Naughty Rocky- I think he and Pop would get on well :o) xx

      Delete
  7. So much wildlife in your garden, as well as the tamer beasties. You've worked very hard at attracting it I think, you have some fantastic insect-friendly flowers. I love the baby blue tit, they're some of my favourites. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking good this year with all the small things living in it :o) xx

      Delete
  8. Great post CT, cracking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The giant babies demanding to be fed by their bedraggled babies reminds me so much of MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!
    I like Brian. I can't wait to see his transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey CT,
    Happy days indeed. I have also enjoyed an at home pottering week. Our Blackbird babies must have flown the nest; they haven't been in the garden with their Pop since Tuesday. I have missed them. But we do have lots of Goldfinches visiting and Blue Tits. I adore Brian. We have had many Orange Tip butterflies. I think they are beautiful. You have a wonderfully alive garden.
    Have a great weekend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of the birds are in-between broods now, or trying to be! I have grown very fond of Brian and keep yelling at M when he gets too vigorous with the watering can on his flower... Have a lovely weekend too xx

      Delete
  11. Very nice CT, love the Blue tits feeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John- cute little things eh? :o)

      Delete
  12. Lovely post CT, I to have spent much of this week in the garden pottering, keeping a eye on our young starling, when the weathers warm work doesn't half get in the way! and back to evenings watering...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's pray for warm weather over the weekend :o) xx

      Delete
  13. Lovely post CT :) so many great flower, butterfly and bird pictures. The warmer weather here has at last brought out some insects :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you've got insects back- it has been a long, cool few weeks hasn't it? :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x