Tuesday, 2 June 2015

An Update On Bop, The Baby Tawny Owl

I've just got back from driving over to Wiltshire to see Jill and Bop. He is now feeding himself (3 mice in the morning and 3 or 4 in the afternoon) and Jill thinks he will be OK (although with all wild things you never say never). It will take him longer to become independent because he's not being reared by his parents and he needs to learn how to be an Owl.

Jill reckons he is about four and a half weeks old and if he were in the wild he'd be hopping about in trees and trying to catch his own food now, instead of sleeping in a basket being fed already caught and dead mice. Time will tell, we'll keep everything crossed for him, eh? All that focused good will must count for something....



He was very sleepy, this being his night time, and although he came out of his basket for a few seconds, soon decided that actually he'd rather be inside it and asleep, so he hopped back in, settled down and watched me with his eyes first blinking and then drooping. He has definitely grown and now has his adult wing tip and tail feathers and is starting to fly in small goes, which is All Good. I experienced an almost unbearable urge to bring him home with me, which I resisted. It was hard.



Jill was telling me that she'd had two more baby Tawnys brought in last week- these were only a day old and had fallen a long way off some bales. One died on Sunday and the other yesterday. It is so hard with wild creatures. She's also had several hedgehogs in who have also died. But on the positive side, she showed me some photos of a Tawny she raised a couple of years ago who fledged successfully back to the wild. He would sit in her kitchen and stare out the window with her cat on a chair behind him- the Owl and the Pussycat....

Anyway, I didn't want to disturb Bop, so I admired him for a few more seconds, told him he was beautiful and that I loved him and would pray for him to grow up Big And Strong And Safe and turn back into A Real Wild Owl when the time was right, then I took some photos for all of you to enjoy (and us too) before leaving him to his nap. I will check in on him again in a week or so and let you all know how he is.


Keep your fingers crossed for him.

CT :o)

 

30 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Bop is doing so well! It was lovely to hear from Teddy yesterday, he does enjoy doing his posts doesn't he! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear :o)

      Yes- Teddy very much enjoys writing his posts and reading his comment :o) I suspect I will have to let Pop have a go soon, in the interests of fair play... xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Bop You have stole my heart!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to read Bop is doing well, I've got my fingers crossed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, I have mine crossed too :o) x

      Delete
  4. Oh he's gorgeous isn't he. I do hope things turn out well for him. Imagine eating seven mice a day, and he's only four weeks old. How hard the parents must work to feed their chicks. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredible how much effort goes in to raising chicks isn't it? No wonder they all look exhausted by summer's end xx

      Delete
  5. oh, so thrilled to hear he's doing well....we'll all be rooting for him over here...wishing him continued good health and thriving!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear bop is doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He`s beautiful and I`m sure he won`t be afraid of the dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny- I hear the first line of that wonderful book in my head whenever I think of him!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the update on poor Bop. My heart aches a bit for the little guy. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does too Casey. I am keeping everything crossed for him.

      Delete
  9. Catching up on your posts.. I'm in love with Bop, look at those gorgeous big eyes! Glad he is doing well and I'll have my fingers crossed he continues to do so :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm over the moon that Bop has survived & is doing well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jo, just hope it stays that way x

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear Bop is doing so well - I really do hope he can be returned to the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What stunning photographs. I am so glad to hear he is doing ok. It must be such a precarious business to balance caring for a young wild thing with preparing it for life in the wild. I do hope this works and that Bop will be back where he belongs soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an easy thing to do as you say, but if anyone can, Jill can :o)

      Delete
  13. Fingers crossed he can go back to the wild, we have had a stray Starling in the garden since Saturday, often feeding with the Wood pigeons, once or twice he has looked up at them to be fed, they were quite happy for him to be there. Have put extra meal worms out which he has liked and for the first time this week has spent a little less time in the garden looking lost...
    Have been loving Spring watch, especially un-sprung with the guests, did you see last nights with the butterfly man, Matthew Oates, there was photos on his blog...there were photos from a lady supporting nice red nail varnish and a butterfly!
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Yes, the Empress Badge Competition. I still haven't got mine....better chase that up :o) xx

      Delete
  14. Wonderful news and I'll cross everything that all goes well so he can be successfully released back into the wild. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great news - and yes, fingers crossed. Does look to have a bit of owl attitude here - which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just spoke to Jill- he is doing well and will hopefully come back here for releasing in due course :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x