Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Blue-Tailed Damselfly Rescue, Baking And Some Exciting News

I've been running about like a Blue Arsed Fly today, giving the house a Jolly Good Clean (it doesn't happen often) while Poppy chased the hoover and Ted chased Poppy, and then making a fish pie, chocolate mousse and hazelnut shortbread for supper as one of M's work colleagues is coming over.

The floors look strange without their usual accompaniment of bits of mud and vegetation and the spiders all think I've gone completely mad hoovering up their webs from the walls.

I think I've earnt a packet of crisps (which I am now eating) and a G&T (which I am saving for later, only I expect M's colleague won't want any booze as she's driving and then I'll end up looking like an alcoholic. As usual).

Here's the grub....

Hazelnut Shortbread
Rhubarb Fool made at the weekend by M. My contribution was to put it in nice bowls instead of an old ice cream carton! Oh, and the mint :o)
Whipped double cream for chocolate mousse
Melted chocolate added to the cream

Fish Pie with boiled eggs and sweet potatoes :o)

I feel justified eating the crisps because I've been doing a fair bit of running recently. I can tell this is working because a) I can now whizz up hills on buttocks of steel, b) do 20 lunges round the garden without collapsing at the end and having to slide down the banisters for the next three days because using stairs like a normal person is impossible with seized leg muscles, and c) I got beeped at when crossing the road the other day. 

To be precise, I got beeped at, leered at and propositioned in what I can only assume was a moment of testosterone-fueled blindness by the four male occupants of the car. This cheered me up no end- not because it's flattering to be beeped at, but because I find it enormously amusing to imagine the horror of said young chaps when they get close enough to realise that the creature they'd just propositioned wasn't the fit young thing they'd imagined from half a mile away, but a forty-something mother of three, pink-faced and out of breath from sprinting the last half mile home :o)

After all the baking I went into the garden to Check On Progress. Pop came with me as she always does (apparently, she started howling when I went out early on Sat morning- I didn't realise she did that, very touching).....


.....and we found a Blue-Tailed Damselfly stuck in the greenhouse. I put a hand up to rescue him and was Quite Surprised when he turned round, got on my finger and sat there waiting to be saved. Normally they head-butt the panes of glass in a frantic effort to escape. Not only did he come to my hand, but he remained on it while I took several piccies. In the end, I had to manoeuvre him onto the kingcups next the pond so I could get on with other things :o)





I hope you can see the amazing blue/ violet colours he has and the little blue dots above his eyes?

The flowers are all Coming Along Nicely. Incidentally, if anyone wants any Nicotiana or Cosmos seedlings you are Most Welcome -I have hundreds and no-where to put them all :o)











I nearly ended the post without telling you about the Exciting News! I applied for a little teaching type job at college recently and got a phone call today to say I'd been short-listed for an interview! It will be my first proper job interview in twenty years! Yikes! Finger's crossed. The interview's at the start of June so here's hoping :o) Maybe that's a Good Enough reason for a pre-dinner Gin, eh?

I'll leave you with a pic of Teddy sunbathing contentedly by the back door.....
 

...and wish you all a Peaceful Evening.

CT x

36 comments:

  1. Nice post that food looks very tasty. Great Damselfly shots and great news about the interview, best of luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news. Well done and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damsel fly is stunning,G&T is justified,flowers are blooming lovely,and the furries are adorable. Now, I've commented,and can go back and look at the piccies again.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your supper party menu sounds good. Sweet potato on fish pie I will have to try as we're quite partial to that dish round here. And I have never seen a blue damsel fly in such detail before. They are such beautiful creatures. Your garden flowers are so pretty and it looks so sunny. We've been having thunderstorms and hail and lightning most of the afternoon. I arrived by bike at the allotment and was stuck in the shed for about half an hour. When it cleared I couldn't leave as school traffic and wet weather is not a good combination for a cyclist. Then I had another session stuck in the shed when it hailed some more and eventually I cycled home at 4. Tonight we're having home grown asparagus to start followed by my salmon and watercress tart with Cornish potatoes bought last week in Cornwall and home grown salad followed by home grown rhubarb and clotted cream. Cyclists need to eat a lot and like you I can feel myself regaining my summer figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your supper sounds lovely. Sweet potatoes are a great addition to regular tatties for toppings on meals :o)

      Delete
  5. ooh exciting - good luck with the interview! What a lovely moment with the damsel too - beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey CT,
    Oooh best of luck for the interview.You'll walk it. Interviews in your forties are a different animal to those in your twenties. I have far too many Cosmos and Nicotania too. And night scented stock. I'm determined to get them all stuffed into the garden somehow. Unknow to me Olly put his snail house in my greenhouse, and they have decimated my cucumbers and salad leaves. Snails are Olly's latest obsession. He has named one of the Chunky. He was looking very pleased with himself this morning, so I suspect he lived up to his name last night. They are now in a bucket in disgrace.
    Enjoy the gin and all of that lovely food.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did make me chuckle with Olly's snails (although I know not funny at all as far as cuc and salad loss is concerned). xx

      Delete
  7. Woo hoo! Go on you! Your grub looks great too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds luscious! Where are the recipes, pretty please?! And will also include your friends daughter and friends and family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Mary Anne. I'll try and get the recipes up next week- crazy busy here at the mo!

      Delete
  9. Dear Ted, what a sweetie he is. The food looks delish, lucky colleague. I had loads of crisps today, but I haven't been running. I really should take that up. You made me laugh out loud about being beeped. Very well done on making the shortlist for the job, I'm wishing you lots of luck. Definitely worth a gin. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted is my rock- always calm, steady and dependable (unless pigeons, rats or squirrels are involved). G&T was lovely (and strong). Thanks for the good luck wishes xx

      Delete
  10. Great news about the interview - hope it all goes well. Love the damselfly and your garden looks full of colour. Your geums are certainly well ahead of ours!!

    I was so sorry to read about your friends' daughter in the last post - sending positive thoughts your way. A truly tragic thing to happen and I hope the paralysis is temporary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear- all positive thoughts are v welcome. I'm hoping to get an update this weekend x

      Delete
  11. Lovely looking grub! I'd have the G&T if it was me, just to remove dust from my throat. I've given up mopping floors for the next few weeks as I do have a good excuse! It's driving me loopy though. We could do a swap regarding the plants - you can have some of my Welsh grown abundance of cosmos & nicotiana & I shall have some of your English variety. I think I shall have to squeeze them in & hope for the best. Mike looked at me disapprovingly when I snorted at you being beeped at, I explained to him & he retorted 'Is she like you knocking on car windows & bellowing do you want a closer look boys after being beeped at?' 'Quite possibly, quite possibly' I replied to him! Lovely sweet Ted, he has the right idea. Lots & lots of luck for your interview exciting stuff! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo- a plant swap Welsh for English is a good idea :o) I think I'll have to squish mine in somewhere too, can't bare composting them, they look so lovely and fresh growing like mad as they are! Tell Mike I just grinned at the poor lads in the end- I felt they'd had punishment enough for one day :o) xx

      Delete
  12. i'm very good at rewarding myself....i usually go straight to the chocolate, because i'm typically Quite Excellent and therefore Very Deserving. ;) same applies to a glass of wine. ;)

    had a giggle at your being beeped at....we had a phrase 'back-in-the-day' when i was working in horse-racing....still a very male-dominated environment back then *ahem* -- upon being hooted/propositioned at, we girls would smile kindly and say "i'm far too much racehorse for you, little man." :) always had the desired effect.

    now, how does one go about getting invited to tea at your house? your menu looks delish...'specially the Afters. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, definitely chocolate and wine (and crisps) :o)

      I worked with race horses once upon a time too- beautiful creatures. I love your reply to over-zealous hooters :o)

      I'd love to have tea with you- I imagine we'd spend the entire time roaring with laughter, enjoying the bird song and communing with the fairies in the garden :o) xx

      Delete
  13. ps. i'll happily take the cosmos and nicotiana off your hands...the wretched chipmunks keep unearthing my seeds....

    pps. best of luck with the interview -- you'll nail it. true story. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air Mail....?

      Naughty Chipmunks :o(

      Thank you! x

      Delete
  14. Garden looks really good, and well done with the job interview , might take up running if it means getting a odd whistle, I look like a bag lady most days, mind you the chap at the end of the road is always pleased to see me daily, as he is stood outside drinking whisky (any time of the day) got photos of Orange tips to day, they are loving the Large Bitter-Cress (Cardamine amara) plant at the park.
    Have a lovely evening, food looking good.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grinned at your chap with any-time-of-the-day whisky :o)

      Well done on the OT pics. I have had the most stupendous butterfly day today- will be posting details and pics tomorrow or over the weekend and hoping to catch up on everyone's blogs too! xx

      Delete
  15. A busy blue arsed fly indeed m'dear. The flowers look lovely and wonderful moment with the Damsel fly to boot.
    Oh and yes please to the seeds if there are some left.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you lived nearer- I have loads of seedlings I'd gladly give you for your wildflower garden :o) x

      Delete
  16. Is that rose Rhapsody in Blue? It's gorgeous. I have a RIB in my front garden. Congrats n good luck for your interview xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is - a Chelsea winner if memory serves but many moons ago. It is looking particularly fulsome this spring :o) Thanks re interview xx

      Delete
  17. You've done it again-filled your post with loads of energy....great cooking, wildlife rescue, gardening and then fantastic interview news!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post CT and great news about your interview. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x