Saturday, 18 April 2015

The Dawn Chorus And A Chiffchaff Comes Visiting

Thanks for all the Get Well messages on my last post- you are a Lovely Bunch. Officially :o)

I am up today- hooray! Although walking about like one in a trance with a monster hangover. Still, it's an improvement to be out of bed :o)

The sun is shining so photos were necessary. More Orange Tips in the garden again this morning. Again not sitting still but at least they are here.

The White Cherry at the bottom of the garden is blooming...

 
 
My little violas who sit in a pot shaped like a big blue snail add a splash of colour to the path...

The Mahonia is doing well too... 


As is the Quince, whose blooms are daily visited by a range of bee and hoverfly people. Pop got as far as closing her jaws round a buzzing person this morning- I was amazed and relieved when she opened them again and let him go when I told her 'NO!' Although perhaps not as relieved as the hoverfly, who shook his legs and flew higher up out of her reach.


Shieldbugs are out and about too. There are two in this pic. They hop between plants and are surprisingly agile...


I found my first Dandelion clock of the year hidden up in a patch of Bugle which has burst into colour in the last three days..


The Wildflower Turf is growing well...



Ted has been Helping Keep An Eye On It :o)



Most of the birds in the garden right now are boys- all the girls must be busy on nests. There is a gang of six boy sparrows who sit in the hedge and squabble over the feeders, and this beautiful male blackbird has taken to perching in the Oak next door and singing his heart out. Next time, I will record his song for you. I could (and do) listen to it for ages. Another Free Gift from nature which puts the pop songs I have to endure on the radio to shame :o)


And here's the little Chiffchaff who came into the house the other day. He/ she was Rather Worried to be in such strange surroundings, hence the open beak, but soon found the open door and flew off back to freedom none the worse for the experience. Poppy found the whole encounter fascinating, and sat staring at the little bird wondering what on earth it was doing inside her house :o)





I'll leave you with the magnificence of the Dawn Chorus, recorded here on April 15th. I set the alarm for 5.15am thinking that was bound to be early enough, but despite the darkness (as per the vid) a few had already started singing before then. I may try to get up earlier and record it again, this time starting from silence, because it really is amazing how the noise wells up from nothing. Either way, hopefully this video will give you some idea of how many birds we have around us and what the chorus sounds like. It's about 5 mins long, but if you listen to the first three/ four mins you should get more or less the full force of it. If you've never been up in time to hear the Dawn Chorus before, it is well worth getting out of bed for. The RSPB usually organises local 'dawn chorus' walks here in the UK so it might be worth checking one of those out.

 

Hope you're all well?

CT :o)
 

30 comments:

  1. Love the images of the Chiffchaff, so close. Am typing as I listen to your dawn chorus...glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it- worth getting up at stupid o'clock for! x

      Delete
  2. That was absolutely glorious!
    I wouldn't want to sleep through that and miss it.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoyed listening to it. I really should have made the effort to record it before now x

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear you weren't well, but great that you are up and about again. Wonderful to have the opportunity to get the close ups of the chiff chaffs. I'm missing most of the dawn chorus this year as I'm not letting the chooks out and my bedroom is fairly well sound proofed, although I can hear the noisy sheep and lambs that are in the paddock across the lane again! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I'm even more glad I recorded it so you could listen x

      Delete
  4. Great pics of the chiffchaff, what a cute little thing.
    Glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the dawn chorus, there's nothing like it is there. Utterly magical. The wood pigeon reminds me of when I was little, there was always a wood pigeon. That quince flower is gorgeous, and beautifully photographed. And how amazing to see the chiffchaff so close up. I think I shall have to start showing my biggest boy your blog, he will absolutely love it. Enjoy the rest of the weekend CT. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, CJ, for your lovely words. Your biggest lad is the keen birder, isn't he? Hope he enjoys the chiffchaff :-)

      Delete
  6. wow, thank you for sharing. Glad you are feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to hear the dawn chorus - one of the advantages of being a poor sleeper! I always have my bedroom window open and often wake up as soon as the first bird sings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so beautiful and amazing that it goes on every day and so many folks never hear it.

      Delete
  8. Good Morning! *I* want a chiffchaff! I was very happy to have a dunnock visit last week! Another batch of feeders arrived and I'll be filling them and putting them out! I'm turning into a crazy bird lady! I spent over £50 on blooming bird food last month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Rach :-). That's marvellous about the bird feeding! You'll have chiffchaffs coming out of your ears before you know it :-) x

      Delete
  9. Wonderful.... have been trying to get a photo of a Chiffchaff all week, without the twigs of the tree hiding most of it's body! and you go get one in your house... stunning shots. No Orange tips, but the Blue tits have been making good use of the moss and fleece hung up in a old feeder, then going to use next doors nest box.
    Hope you are feeling tip top now.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely little birds. I was watching one hopping about on the bamboo canes near the wildflower garden earlier in the week. Saw my first blue flutter of the year very briefly in the garden yesterday, a Common Blue I think :-) xx

      Delete
  10. Another beautiful post CT with gorgeous images and sounds to enjoy :-) Glad to hear that you are feeling better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, David. I'm wondering how the chorus compared with yours in Yorks? :-)

      Delete
  11. oh what a beautiful symphony!! it was such a treat to hear....thank you! it truly is the most magical of things, to wake up to that sound...beats a snarking old alarm clock any day!

    gorgeous photos, as always, and i'm glad you're feeling a bit better! up and about is definitely better than being in bed!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey CT,
    I missed your last post about the migraine. You disappeared from my feed for some reason. I get them from time to time, and feel as if I've been punched in the head for about a week afterwards.
    I did chuckle...only you could have a chiff chaff come into the house You sure you aren't Snow White?! I lie awake listening to the dawn chorus every morning. Simply wonderful.
    We are all well here, thanks for asking.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, am with you on the punched in the head feeling. I'm walking about like someone on another planet and not making much sense either (nothing new there then :o) ).

      Ah, that little chiffchaff, such a poppet but so very worried about being indoors. I'd been watching him/ her earlier in the week flitting about among the bamboo canes in the wildflower patch, obviously Very Curious :o)

      Glad all's well xx

      Delete
  13. How marvellous to have a chiffchaff in the house! We had a wren last year which hid in my husband's shoe in just that worried sort of way. And your dawn chorus is fabulous. It is waking me up here it is so loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special moment. I am smiling at the story of the wren in your husbands shoe :o) x

      Delete
  14. Glad to hear you're slowly feeling better - lovely images of the chiffchaff and flowers. Dawn chorus loud here at the moment - wonderful way to wake up even if I do fall back asleep later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline :o)

      The chorus is such a special thing, so glad it happens.

      Delete
  15. Oh your dawn chorus is wonderful thank you for sharing it with us. Sorry to hear you have been suffering with migraines again but glad you are now on the mend, It's the wrong time on year to have to be in bed with so many visitors and new growth in your garden, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Sarah. Hope all's well with you and yours xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x