Monday, 13 April 2015

The Aftermath Of The Party

You'll be glad to hear it all went off well.

It had all the ingredients of a Good Party: drama and tears were provided by brothers Paddy and Gus (6 and 9) who were walloping each other one minute and bursting into song with their arms wrapped round each other's necks the next; danger came in the form of Uncle Charles, in his eighties now and with a balance problem and very frail on his pegs as a result, so walking for him is fraught with peril; humour from my husband and his brother who had a competition to see who could roll their hips most seductively (answer: neither- they were like a couple of planks of wood); forgetfulness came from Aunt Sylvia who greeted me with an enormous "hello!" and a huge hug, only to repeat it five minutes later when she saw me again. Glamour was provided by sis in law Gill who wore the most fabulous outfit but also cheated by having her hair cut that very morning. She looked GORGEOUS; gossip from the girls, J and her cousin Emma, who had their heads locked together all night exchanging delicious snippets, and sublime cooking from sis in law Lizzy who made the most divine soft, light and fluffy birthday carrot cake with mascarpone cheese topping for her mum in the shape of an "80". We all extended our vocabulary courtesy of Paddy and Gus (6 and 9 remember). I shouldn't think I need to explain what a "gentleman's sausage" is, but I bet it becomes part of your lexicon from now on too :o) The most memorable part of the evening, however, was provided by my own son, who, having necked a glass of champagne in double quick time, spent the next hour and half asleep beneath a pile of clothes behind the sofa :o)

The Patient- he don't look bad for having had open heart surgery less than two weeks ago, do he?

The Glamourous Gill and my Pa in Law

Me, M and Lizzy

The Gathered Clan
 
J and Emma deep in thought

Demolished Delicious Puds :o)
 
The Birthday Girl

We got home at eleven, I declared my intention of going to bed but somehow ended up sitting round our kitchen table till one in the morning with M and his cousin Chris and wife Bel drinking too much sloe gin and plum vodka, and that was before the cigars came out.

Mercifully, no hangover the following day, which was just as well as we had Round Two at our house with the entire clan turning up for lunch. The weather was glorious so we took the dogs for a stroll down the lane then all the kids played games in the garden till lunch was ready...


Very few leftovers remained at the end and everyone enjoyed themselves, especially what has become the traditional after-lunch-game at our house of "who cane survive the biggest electric shock" from the dodgy game I bought M from China. My mother in law always wins that one hands down. 

I love them all dearly, but by 3pm was ready for everyone to go back to their own homes and to let ours settle back into peace and quiet, so we packed them all off into their respective cars with most of their belongings intact (it is traditional for someone to leave something behind and this time it was a pair of Gus' monster socks and Paddy's disney themed toothbrush), then M and I took the doggies out for a blissful hour and a half in the sun and wind across empty fields, while L succumbed gratefully to the solitary bliss of a computer game that involved blowing up zombies. We were all in bed by nine :o)

Happy Days :o)

CT x

34 comments:

  1. Hey CT,
    Oh how I love weekends like this. Surrounded by family and good food and sloe gin. I love a table laden with treats, but even more when it's all demolished! I also love saying 'cheerio', shutting the door and popping on my pjs. Happy days!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good weekend, helped along by just about perfect weather :o) XXX

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous day! Glad you all had so much fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear- enormous fun all round xx

      Delete
  3. you made me chuckle with your descriptions of the family, I think we all have those characters in our families. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good times for sure. Families wouldn't be the same without the characters :o)

      Delete
  4. It all looks wonderful, I adore weekends like this. Unfortunately our next big weekend celebration is at the end of November for Mike's 50th. I'm not sure I can wait until then! I love the way you described your weekend, your electric shock game sounds like huge fun! I'm glad it all went to plan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to invent a reason for a party at midsummer :o) I don't play the electric shock game but Pads and Gus were demons at it! xx

      Delete
  5. It looked like a fab, fun party CT. You look glamorous yourself! Your choccy cake looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful family gathering with lovely food and g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great weekend- lots of happy memories x

      Delete
  7. Wow, I'm tired just reading this post. lol
    The Birthday girl is looking good and all that food is making me hungry.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a very quiet day today :o). Ma in law had a ball- it all went off so well, I was so pleased for her x

      Delete
  8. I think 'son' learned a life lesson..Champagne is for sipping!
    I'm exhausted just reading about the weekend... never mind the clearing up.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so, Jane, but somehow I doubt it :o) The house looks cleaner now than before everyone arrived- something about having to tidy up makes me do it more properly :o) x

      Delete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog today, unfortunately I pressed publish instead of update as I had not finished negotiating the discount code and it is in fact £10 off not 10% and I will re-post on Friday. In two years of blogging I have never done that before, serves me right for rushing! great to visit you though too.Come back again on Friday! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see you employ a "kids' table". Ours was a rickety card table always in danger of collapsing and I seem to remember sitting on a garbage can a couple of times. It was a proud moment when one graduated to the grown-up table. Looks like a fine couple of parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to keep the little blighters to their own end I find! We have two who have graduated- they looked rather pink in the face after a glass of wine, which made me smile. They think they are VERY sophisticated, sitting with the adults :o)

      Delete
  11. oh, what a marvelous tale! i love family "do's" like that....and i also like them when it's time for everyone to go home!

    i see lots of happy in everyone's faces :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Happies all round :o)

      BTW- I am REALLY enjoying your blog. Very glad you found me so that I could find you in return x

      Delete
  12. You did well to avoid a hangover CT! Looks like a wonderful party and, in my opinion, that's a pretty hard thing to carry off. No false smiles at all! So pleased for you all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, we all had a smashing time xx

      Delete
  13. Really glad you had a good day, lots of fun....
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've made me laugh out loud, I especially like the game of surviving the electrical shock. It sounds like the most wonderful weekend, I'm glad you had such a good time. And I'll take a slice of each pudding please. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got three levels- the strength of the zap increases with each one, and it plays the most horrible music while it's waiting to zap the unwary. Honestly, it's like something out of a horror movie. The smallest members of the family absolutely love it (as do some older ones who should know better) :o) xx

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a really fun weekend - so glad everything went well and a good time was had by all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great to have it all go off smoothly, particularly after the concerns over pa in law's health :o)

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful weekend...you are very lucky to have all those friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are- they are a lovely bunch and it's always filled with laughter when we get together like that x

      Delete
  17. That sounds a fantastic family celebration with everyone having a good time, even if it is behind the sofa! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, it wasn't the booze- L tells me he just felt tired.... :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x