Friday, 24 April 2015

That's More Like It! Some Very Interesting Moths Turn Up

The Grand Total of sleep I got last night was three hours.

I'll just say that again: THREE hours.

I woke up at 1, eventually gave up trying to get back to sleep at 4.15, got up, did some work on next week's lecture, went outside, potted some moths that were asleep beside the box and set the camera to record the Dawn Chorus from silence into full-throated noise. That worked well- the owls fade out into blackbirds and it gradually gets light on the camera. I haven't uploaded it yet because I only got three hours sleep.

I went back to bed at 5, M left for woke at 5.30 and I dropped off about 6, woke for the alarm at 7.15, rolled over and fell back asleep and then woke with a start at 8.35 in a blind panic because we normally leave for school just after eight!

I couldn't bring myself to admit to school I'd overslept - I had visions of 'incompetent parent who doesn't take son's education seriously' being scrawled beside my name, so wrote a vague: it was entirely my fault L was late type note and left it at that. He. of course thought the whole thing was hilarious, although I have to say I've never seen him move so fast- we were up, dressed and in the car on the way in under ten minutes, so now I know he can do it....

It's been fairly lousy moth wise the last few days because the temperature at night has dropped away steeply. I put the box out last night, not expecting much, it has to be said, so I was amazed at the species that were waiting for me this morning.

The prominents have arrived in force, with Swallow and Lesser Swallow, Great and Pebble all represented. There was a lovely delicate Muslin moth, a beautiful Lunar Marbled Brown, an unexpected Frosted Green, a Shuttle-shaped Dart and a Sallow Kitten, which was a huge shock as it's a couple of weeks ahead of normal arrival time. The Kitten moths are some of my absolute favourites, so it was a real treat to see him (even though I had to fridge him to get the pic as he was busy, busy, busy in the pot :o)

Here they are for you to enjoy...

Brindled Beauty

Frosted Green

Great Prominent

Great P

Lesser Swallow Prominent

Lunar Marbled Brown

May Bug in April

Muslin Moth

Pebble Prominent

Sallow Kitten




Shuttle-Shaped Dart

Swallow Prominent
 I'm off to get some sleep :o)

I'll leave you with the crescent moon and a Goldfinch in Thoughtful Mood....





Hope all are well?

CT :o)

20 comments:

  1. The Sallow Kitten is a very pretty thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Poplar Kitten who is very similar and also rather beautiful. Should get more and more interesting from now on in, moth wise :o)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous moths, and I love the thoughtful goldfinch. Sorry you had so little sleep, I get nights like that too, it's SO frustrating isn't it. I find it's particularly bad if I haven't had enough exercise. I hope you're catching up now, it puts things out for a couple of days doesn't it. Wishing you a good weekend with naps when you need them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually have a problem sleeping, so it was a bit of a shock. I haven't been running for a fortnight so I blame that :o)

      Glad you enjoyed the moths- there are some very spectacular ones still to come. Have a lovely weekend too xx

      Delete
  3. Well at least you now know he can move quickly when he wants to!! Lovely selection of Moth images and I also like the Goldfinch shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. Yup- no excuses for L from now on re getting up slowly! x

      Delete
  4. That is certainly more like it, what a fantastic collection of moths for April !!! My nephews and nieces will also be pleased to see that the May bugs are starting to appear as they love them and build little houses for them :-)

    The Lunar Marbled Brown is a lovely looking moth though sadly I don't think it occurs here :-(

    Kindest regards and best wishes to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed when I saw the variety of moths yesterday- completely different from what's been turning up recently. I love the idea of building houses for May bugs- what a lovely thing to do. I have a soft spot for them- I particularly love their antennae.
      All good wishes to you all too :o)

      Delete
  5. Great selection of moths CT - haven't been getting much here recently - Angle Shades was probably the best of a poor bunch!

    Wildlife seems more advanced in your area than here - no cuckoos or dragon/damselflies yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angle Shades is a good one- haven't seen one yet this year but I shall keep eyes peeled now I know they're out with you.

      We are doing well wildlife wise here- been v warm by day but pretty chilly at night still x

      Delete
  6. Hey CT,
    Hooray for the moths, and boo for the crappy night's sleep. I've had a week of crap sleep, and feel like a zombie today. We have had so many goldfinches this spring, but no chaffinches. In fact I've only seen one in the garden so far this year.
    I have also planted lots of white flowers for the moths on your advice. Lots of nicotania for starters.
    Have a lovely weekend, my friend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hooray for you for planting white blooms :o) It'll be worth going out after dark later in the summer with a torch to see what's nectaring on them. We tried hanging a white sheet on the badminton net two summers back and shining a torch on it and a bloody great Pine Hawkmoth appeared from no where a minute later!
      Sorry you're sleeping badly and hope it settles down soon. I don't like that over-tired feeling either.

      Have a good weekend too my dear xx

      Delete
  7. So glad the moths are back-what a great collection you got and my favourite furry ones as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw the Great Prominent, it being very furry :-) glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  8. 3 hours = grumpy grouchy parent over here. Lovely to see those Goldfinches CT. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sleep pattern is definitely wonky this week. Menopause?? Hope all's well xx

      Delete
  9. Beautiful shots of the moths, Sallow Kitten is stunning. Me too have planted more white flowers and have been checking them on a evening but still have not managed to see anything fluttering about, not even under the street light next to next doors house, I use it as a gage to see if there is anything about.. still very cold on a night.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wee bit cold at the moment at night- wait till mid summer on a warm, muggy night and if you've got the nectar sources you're bound to get the moths. It's worth bearing in mind that some species fly late at night- I've known the Poplar Hawks not get up till near midnight. Well done you for planting the white flowers- there will be some very happy moths in your neighbourhood as a result! :o) xx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful little furry things! So much is going on at night when the rest of us are asleep. Keep up the good work!
    By the way, I spotted a brimstone moth the other day and caught a photo of it.
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the Brimstone- I'm yet to see one this year. So glad you enjoyed all the moths. It is amazing to think of the world busy at night while we're all fast asleep :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x