Thursday, 2 April 2015

Moth Post & Birthday Post (see what I did there?)

First of all, a huge thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on yesterday's price of conservation post. It was good to have everyone's thoughts and opinions as this sort of conservation work is on the increase and it helps to know what people think and feel about it. I realise we're all predominantly wildlife enthusiasts here and I would doubtless get different feedback in a different kind of forum, but it was helpful nonetheless.

Today is my birthday. I know- I just missed being an April Fool. Today I am 42 years young (and you know you're getting old when you call it 'years young'- what a sad old git), although my husband put 41 in my card by accident, which made us all smile. I got a card from all the outdoor people too, which I thought was Very Clever of them (although I'm a Bit Worried about what happened to the small snail once the camera was turned off)....



I had a Good Laugh this morning trying to work out what all the drawings were (art is not M's strong point :o) ).....


The end one is not, as I at first thought, a small crocodile, but is, in fact, a Great Crested Newt. The cute chubster beside him is a Water Vole, then there's a butterfly, a bird, and (believe it or not) a bee :o)

I have a dear family member who is currently very poorly. Her name is Jo, but we have always called her Jo Dear. She is in mid brain tumour treatment right now, and with characteristic good humour has named her tumour Brian. Despite being so unwell she still found time to send me a birthday card. I have always loved the cards she finds and sends me... Jo, if you're reading this- love you very much and am sending you lots and lots of healing thoughts xxx



My lovely chum Mrs M sent me some owls....



Kaz sent me Poppy before her hair cut....


And the family got me butterflies. I think everyone knows me pretty well :o)


I had some lovely prezzies: a sewing box and a gorgeous Mary Berry cookbook from Ma, mugs that look like they have Poppy on them from my sis, the complete series of Dad's Army, Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones DVDs from M (an eclectic mix there, eh?) as well as Rachel Carson's Silent Spring and some wildflower turf for the garden which is coming later, and tokens from my lovely in laws. I'm saving L's gift to me till he's home from school as mornings aren't his thing at present and you risk Instant Teenage Melodrama if you dare to speak :o) The only thing I can't understand is why no-one got me Aidan Turner as Ross Poldark.

Right, enough Birthday Stuff, on with the Moths!

We're still getting smalls and browns here, but then the weather is so cold and dismal I reckon Spring is running about 3 weeks late so everything is delayed. Today's mothy people were a mixture of Drabs and Quakers, which is to be expected at this time of year....

I was Rather Captivated by this pale form of the Clouded Drab. The background colouration is just like silver birch. Interestingly, this form is more common in the West of the UK (we're slap bang in the middle of the South Coast here so I guess we count as both?). In the East, the darker forms proliferate. Now, why should that be? Habitat, presumably?


This next one is also a Clouded Drab. It looks identical to the first until you look closely.  




This one (below) is the darker marked Clouded Drab, which we tend to get more of here.


There were ten Common Quakers in the box. I've put the ruler in so you can get a sense of scale. All these moths are around 2cm in length- the bigger ones don't turn up until end of May/ June time.
 



Here's the Clouded Drab beside the Common Quaker, the Drab being the bigger of the two.




And here's a Small Quaker, just to show the difference. He is only 1.4cm.

 
The Moth Box is filled with egg cartons so they have somewhere to rest and hide- here's a shot of a Common Quaker asleep on the side of an egg box this morning. Sometimes, it can be easy to miss the moths if they're tucked up snoozing in cracks and crevices in the cardboard, so you have to check very carefully :o)


An Odd One Out this morning was this rather beautiful Engrailed, who I found asleep on the fence. The wingspan of this moth is about 3.8cm, so a good deal bigger than the rest.


And finally, a solitary Hebrew Character, who at least injected a bit of a different pattern into this morning's haul. I'm suspecting this one is a male because of the furry antennae



Once all the moths have been photographed and recorded, I transfer them into small plastic pots which is where they snooze out the remainder of the day till nightfall when they get released back into the garden. Here are three Common Quakers sharing their pot with a Clouded Drab...


I know I've shown the Moth Defensive Position before, but it's always interesting to see so here is a Common Quaker demonstrating just how well they play dead when they feel threatened. He was soon up on his legs again, once the danger (me) had passed...
 

In other news, J got back from France late last night having completed her time out there. She's now fluent and has had a ball, doing her own radio show and talking to people who were in the Resistance about their experiences. She's looking for a job to save up for Uni which she starts in Sept. I want to make her a quilt so we're off fabric shopping together at some point. She wants a pair of PJs too, and as I am now a whizz at whipping up a new pair of bottoms (if you know what I mean) in an afternoon we'll be choosing some fabric for those too (any excuse really). As my pa in law has just had open heart surgery this week and is currently hooked up to various machines in Intensive Care, she'll be off to see him as well. She's been away since Sept and we've all missed her, so I think seeing her will cheer him up. He doesn't take enforced inactivity well so we're all hoping he will be sensible and not rush about too much too soon.

I'll leave you with a picture of the Small Child, who has taken up permanent position on the picnic table whenever she's outside. The flower pot she used to stand on has, apparently, been abandoned in favour of the table, largely I suspect because she can see over the top of the fence rather than just through it that way :o) 
She has a Lovely Time watching life go by on the Other Side Of The Fence, a world she didn't know existed until the table reappeared and she worked out she could climb on to it. Very Naughty Indeed.


Hope all are well?

CT :o)

35 comments:

  1. A most happy birthday. Just turned 75 myself and consider that young and I still enjoy my naughty Barker Brothers (the naughty Doxies) and reading "Wind inthe Willows" now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you too :o) I'll bet those Barker Brothers of yours keep you well entertained!

      Delete
  2. same age as me...for a few months anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a very happy birthday, it sounds like you're having a good day. I instantly recognised the great crested newt by the way. Enjoy the rest of your birthday, no doubt you are happy to have J home, she's been having some amazing adventures I think. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M says thank you re the GCN- he can't understand why I thought it was a crocodile :o) Yup, lovely to have J home- 19 already, where does the time go to? xx

      Delete
  4. Cool post CT, very newsy! A very happy birthday to you and many healing thoughts going out to your poorly friends and family. Seeing all those moths again have made the winter seem very distant and short and comforting in the cyclical nature of our seasons. I have just been watching Mr Poldark and find myself rather smitten, good looks and a social conscience! Have a great day/night! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my love- very kind :o) I wish it would warm up a bit more here. Higher temps due next week apparently....
      As for Mr Poldark, what's not to like really xx

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday - you've had some lovely presents and cards. Your paler form of Clouded Drab are very pretty - I only get the dark ones here (very boring!!). I think Mr Poldark would be top of all our birthday present lists :)

    Enjoy the rest of your day.

    ps apologies if you get this comment twice (please delete)one). I wasn't signed in the first time and the first comment typed seemed to go AWOL?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit fond of the paler Clouded Drabs too- didn't see them last year. Does Ross Poldark beat Mr CumberB in the TVBF stakes then?
      Only got comment once- evidently the gremlins consumes the first one :o) x

      Delete
  6. Hey CT,
    Many happy returns of the day!! You are still young. I feel as if I'm just hitting my stride and I have three years on you. There's lots going on behind closed doors at yours right now, so lots of love for that too. And I'd love to be able to make some pyjamas. I have holes in mine.
    Have a lovely Easter.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really feel old- being married to someone six years older helps with that :o)
      Yes, lots going on here and I thank you for your love. As for your PJs, if you chose 2m of fabric and send me it and a pair of your current PJs to draw round I'll make you some. It doesn't take me long, although I will warn you that M says they look like curtains (a bit baggy round the legs) :o) Enjoy your Easter too my dear xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday...how lucky you are 42!!!! that seems so young to me. Hope you have had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age is relative I suppose :o) Hope all's well with you all.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday To You ...... and I'm enjoying watching Aidan Turner as Ross Poldark too !

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly brightens up a chilly Sunday evening, doesn't he?! x

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, it was mine a few weeks back.
    It's lovely to see the moths , did see one flying around the garden to night but disappeared before I could find the torch !
    Hope your father-in-law has a good recovery.
    Happy Easter weekend x Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot entirely to say happy birthday in your last post with the cards! So....HAPPY BIRTHDAY :o) xx

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday! I love your card from the outdoor people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chickpea :o) The outdoor people's card really made me smile :o)

      Delete
  12. Belated birthday wishes CT. I was having a computer day off yesterday, so I'm sorry I missed your birthday post. So sorry to hear you have seriously poorly friends and family right now...having just been through this with hubby it's very stressful for everyone.
    Love the moths...so glad to see them back again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie :o) Hope your OH is now on the mend?
      Hopefully if the weather warms up a bit the more colourful moths will start to appear- everything's a bit late this year x

      Delete
  13. Belated birthday wishes m'dear.
    Love the 'Small child' on her new vantage point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday CT x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Birthday! I hope you will enjoy Breaking Bad as much as we did - we were so addicted we watched 2 episodes every night until we'd seen all 3 seasons! Good luck to your father in law and hope his recovery goes well. As for your daughter being fluent in French in just that short a time, well I hang my head in shame - I hate telling people I've lived here for 18 years now as its embarrassing to not be fluent, but then I haven't worked here so never been immersed, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear :o)

      I am encouraged re Breaking Bad- everyone raves about it. J has done so well with her French, I think she's feeling quite encouraged about starting her degree now. xx

      Delete
  16. Belated happy birthday! Your friend Jo's birthday card is a work of art. Love Poopy's new position. Tavi fell asleep on the recycling bin today! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I was typing to fast it should have read Poppy! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll call her Poopy from now on! :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x