Friday, 17 April 2015

In bed with a migraine.....

I'm typing this on the Microsoft surface so it's a little bit experimental :-)

I've been laid up in bed since Tuesday night when a headache hit me that felt like a thousand knives being stuck repeatedly into my head at once. I couldn't lift my head off the pillow and we got so far as considering an ambulance. It was pretty scary but I have had them bad like that before and so soldiered on :-) 

I've written before about migraines so won't bore you all over again with details, but suffice to say this one was a whopper and normal service still hasn't been fully resumed, but as I've known them take a fortnight to leave properly before it's still early (if frustrating) days.

I have managed to record the dawn chorus but haven't been able to upload it for you yet. As soon as I'm up on my feet again I'll get it posted.

I was also visited by a lovely little Chiffchaff who flew into the breakfast room and needed assistance getting back outside. I do have some pics but they are still on the camera so you'll have to wait for those too!
The one good thing about being incapacitated is that I get to read a lot. I'm reading CJ Sansom's Lamentation which is fab and unputdownable and even better huge so it should see me through, and Hilary Mantel's A Place Of Greater Safety, about the French revolution which I'm also struggling to put down. I adore her writing style, I know she's a Marmite writer -  M couldn't get on with Wolf Hall at all - but I love the way she writes, it makes you think as you're reading and I reckon that's a rare gift to be cherished.

TV wise I'm addicted to Indian Summers, I love the colours and the landscape while cringing at the attitude of the Brits of the time. Poldark is of course another excellent use of my time, and the new series of Vera is staple watching in our house too. We have given up on Breaking Bad (or rather, I have. M enjoys it, so I guess it is TV marmite). It was turning my stomach and leaving me feeling uneasy, but I have an entire season of Game Of Thrones to see which will hopefully alleviate the bad taste Breaking Bad has left behind.

I watch the garden from inside the house and hope to be back outside in a few days looking for interesting creatures. I am glad of the cooler weather, which sounds crazy so soon after a chilly winter, but the sun really isn't a friend to most migraine sufferers and I had forgotten to be cautious with it.

L's mate Will is here, they are shooting things upstairs, and in a little while will be shooting things downstairs. I got L an archery set for his birthday. The positioning of the target caused some thought, given the arrows' habit of flying off at random tangents into flowers/ the pond/ at people/ towards the dogs and most recently in the bush where the Sparrows are nesting.
It's now propped up against the fence safely away from anything breakable :-)

I'll stop now for lack of anything more interesting to say- just wanted you all to know I'm not dead. Please excuse any grammatical errors- migraine's are devils for mucking up the way your brain works.

CT :-)

38 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing, hope you are back on your feet very soon .I would recommend that you curl up with 'Landmarks' on Radio 4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05plghr
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna, that was a top recommendation, I've just finished listening- what a wonderful book xx

      Delete
  2. HI I amso sorr to hear about your migranee and being laid up. I hope it all will pass swiftly adnyou wil be up and about very soon into your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get better soon, Tom used to get these so I know all about how they inconvenience everything.
    We loved Breaking Bad and also got hooked on Dexter, but each to his own, haven't tried Game of Thrones yet.
    Looking forward to the birdsong.
    Briony
    x
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Briony :-) everyone seems to rave about BB but I just couldn't get on with it at all. Xx

      Delete
  4. I used to suffer terribly from migraines..weeks off school,drugged up and asleep. I'm pleased to say I 'grew' out of them.
    Feel better soon.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's encouraging, thanks Jane. I haven't had one in ages, so it did rather take me by surprise (probably menopausal :-( ). Xx

      Delete
  5. Well the posting is fine!! So sorry to hear about your ickies though. I hope that you are some way to being on the mend from it as I hate to think of you being ill. Take care of yourself won't you, and make sure that T&P give you lots and lots of love and cuddles too!!! Tell P that Aunty Amy said no jumping on your head though! I am sure that T will keep her in line. I hope you are up and about and again soon. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P was brought upstairs to visit me this morning. You should have seen her- she was so funny, extremely polite and deferential, couldn't believe she'd been allowed upstairs! She lay down on the bed and kept looking at me and wagging her tail :-) thanks for your good wishes xx

      Delete
  6. Do hope you're on the mend - lots of get well's from here

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thought of a chiff chaff call at close range, and to actually see the little blighter, well by jingo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little one who came indoors was too afraid to sing, but it was marvellous to see him/her at close quarters.

      Delete
  8. I just finished Lamentation - very enjoyable and a twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, shall look forward to that. Shardlake is such a brilliant character. :-)

      Delete
  9. I was hooked on Poldark before I left, such a good programme!

    We're having a similar issue to your archery target with our dart board. All dogs, cats, humans are removed from the vicinity for their own safety before playing. I really need to work on my aim! Haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they've just commissioned a second series :-) Good luck with the little arrows - you know what they say about practice :-) xx

      Delete
  10. I hope you'll be back on form soon...rotten migraines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Could do without it, but they usually come with a message to slow down and take stock, which is no bad thing every now and then x

      Delete
  11. That sounds really nasty. I hope it goes away soon.
    Aren't the CJ Sansom books wonderfully big, love them! I'm now going onto the library website to see more about the Hilary Mantell book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ Sansom is one of my fave authors. Hope you enjoy Hilary Mantel too :-)

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear about the migraine - hope you feel heaps better soon and are out and about again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry you've had such a horrible migraine, it sounds absolutely horrendous. I do hope you're feeling completely better soon, but in the meantime, do take it very easy. I know exactly what you mean about Breaking Bad. We left it mid-episode in the end. Meth addicted parents to the cutest child you ever did see was a bit too dark for us. I might try Game of Thrones one day, but I don't think other half will go for it. We shall see. Wishing you a lovely and pain-free weekend. We're off to the wildfowl and wetlands place I think - a hoopoe flew over there yesterday! We live in hope of seeing him. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I and my sis in law are the only people I know who didn't like it. I just found it too disturbing. Game of thrones is great- healthy escapism, although it also has its moments!
      Huge luck re the Hoopoe- that would be marvellous if you saw him. I had heard some had been seen in the uk this week. Have a lovely weekend and thank you for your get well messages xxx

      Delete
  14. oh dear --- i do hope you're feeling better soon, i know migraines can be thoroughly horrific.

    and of course, i have to ask...what does it mean to be a marmite writer/TV? i know what marmite is....but.....:/

    i've read most of the G of T books but then took a break when the hold-line at the library for the next one got too long. i've seen the first TV season and enjoyed it...the story is good enough to forgive some of the cringe-worthy aspects [ in both the books and the TV show!] :) My whole extended family is big into Breaking Bad but it doesn't appeal to me....i find the older i get, the more squeamish i am. :)

    feel better!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marmite: you either love it or you hate it :-)

      I am more careful about what I watch these days too x

      Delete
    2. haha!! fabulous! thanks for the clarification! *giggle*

      Delete
  15. They are not the best thing to have, been there done that, even having a headache can slow the day down.. Hope you are now feeling a little better and have a lovely weekend. Have dusted my sewing machine of and have been doing some sewing.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about to catch up with what you've been making :-) x

      Delete
  16. Poor you. I don't know how old you are, but if it is any consolation, mine largely disappeared when I hit menopause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a consolation, I am thinking changing hormone levels could well be a contributing factor :o)

      Delete
  17. Sorry you are not so well - hope this improves for you very soon. Migraines are not so nice. I shall check out the "Vera" British Detective series. I haven't seen it yet. I love British TV - so much better than most American Detective Series with all the beautiful Babes flashing their hardware. But must tell you, I did watch Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy and simply love Game of Thrones as well as some others. Take it easy kiddo and hope you are back to full health soon. Cheers, eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy Vera- she's a great character :o) No babes flashing hardware in sight in it either :o)
      Thanks for kind thoughts my friend- starting to feel more human again now xx

      Delete
  18. You poor thing, I hope you're feeling better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Think I'm on the mend at last! x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x