Thursday, 19 March 2015

A Message From Teddy

Hello Everyone,

Ted here. I've been allowed a post of my own today because mum is busy making shorts and as it's her first attempt she's up to her armpits in bits of cut-up fabric, pins, chalk and lines of thread. We are sensibly keeping our heads down until the moment she realises she's stitched the leg holes together, or else made the material too small to fit anyone except Poppy (watch out Pop!), and then tears will ensue and we will be on Comforting Mum Duty, so I'm writing this quickly while I've still got time.

A strange thing happened to us today and, having discussed it with Poppy, I think it's fair to say we're not entirely sure how we feel about it, so I suggested we ask you and see what you all think.

Last night, we were curled up asleep together by the fire, keeping each other warm and cosy as we like to do....


(Dad wonders why we have three beds by the fire when a) there are only two of us and b) we always sleep on the same small bed together anyway, but Mum tells him it's proof against the time when a third dog might come and live with us :o)). Anyway, Dad came in and said something like: 'make the most of those furry coats dogs, I might not recognise you this time tomorrow.'

As you can imagine, I was immediately filled with unease, but when I woke Poppy (who never worries about anything) to tell her what Dad had said, she just giggled and told me I'd dreamt it.

However, I was pretty sure I hadn't dreamt it, and my suspicions deepened further when mum gave me a teary cuddle before bedtime and promised me that, whatever I might think, she wasn't abandoning me tomorrow or taking me somewhere else to live.

I need hardly tell you that did nothing to reassure me, especially when I over heard her telling Dad she'd told Mrs Dunning that I shake and shiver when I'm frightened. Who on earth was Mrs Dunning? I barely slept for thinking about it. Poppy slept all night. And she snored too.

This morning, I tried to hide behind Pop, but as she is smaller than me that didn't really work, so I pulled my Sad Face, hoping to put off whatever was coming, but that didn't work either.


Before we knew it we were in the boot of the car and a bottle of shampoo was put in with us.

That should have alerted me to the danger ahead but I was still busy wondering who Mrs Dunning was and I didn't notice the shampoo until it was too late.

A short drive later we arrived at a new house we didn't know and a nice lady who smelt of dogs and soap came out to see us. Mum handed over the shampoo and kissed us goodbye, but to be honest I didn't really notice because I was too busy wagging my tail and going into the nice lady's house with Pop. We didn't even look back at mum :o)

Two hours later we heard mum's car on the drive and bounced out to see her. She made lots of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' when she saw us. I had no idea why. Until, that is, we got home and I looked in the mirror.

Oh My God! WHAT has happened?????!!!!!

 
We look neat and tidy and all our fur has gone!

And I'm SILVER, for heavens' sake!


It took me weeks to cultivate the grubby off-yellow look and now I have to start all over again.

Pop's matting around her ears has completely gone too, and that took her weeks to build up and get just right, so she isn't very pleased either. She's so soft and silky and sweet-smelling mum keeps picking her up and kissing her. You needed disinfectant handy to kiss Pop before today :o)

 
The only thing to do in a situation like this is to roll quickly in the garden and then chase each other really really fast round and round the greenhouse so mum gets dizzy watching and can't catch us and give us another wash. (Can you spot Poppy in the second picture down?).






When we play this game, mum's foot is home, which means whoever has their paw on it can't be rough and tumbled....


Poppy won that round, but the wall is also supposed to be home, only Poppy never respects that and always jumps up behind me and chews my ears or the side of my face when I'm on it. It is very dangerous, but then she isn't very careful about health and safety rules generally, ans she never learns her lesson about them- like the time this winter when she walked on an ice puddle and the ice cracked and she fell right in over her nose and had to be rescued. I would have been very shaken by the whole incident, but she just shook herself and raced off into the woods. Silly creature.


Mum had to order her off the wall and explain to her why chewing my face while we were both balancing on it was a Silly Thing To Do.


I don't think it made much difference, because as soon as mum went off to do something else, Pop leaped back on the wall and started chewing my ears :o(

Anyway, that's what's happened to us today and we want to know what you all think of our new hair cuts?

Just to even the score, mum has had one today too. She said it's to look smart for the Great Crested Newts she's going to see in the forest after dark. Silly Woman.

Got to go- the shorts are nearing the stitching together part and I need to be on paw for the inevitable moral support.....

Hope you are all well, 

Love from Teddy xx
 

46 comments:

  1. Still a bit cold for you to have your hair chopped! It's chilly today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but my coat is really thick and Poppy has a fleece she wears for a while after a new hair do, so I think we'll be OK. But thank you for thinking of us. Best regards, Ted.

      Delete
  2. I like your new "summer" haircut Teddy... you'll love it too, as the days heat up! Your adventures sound like something you might put in a children's book..."The Adventures of Teddy and Poppy". Now that would make you want to run around the greenhouse in excitement...Author: Teddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I can just imagine being a published author, Juliet. Would I have to share the credits with Pop as she's the other half of our adventures? Love Ted x

      Delete
  3. Hi Ted,I love you and Poppy almost as I love my own doggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stone Angel- we've seen a picture of your dogs and we think they are lovely too. We like having friends all round the world. Love Teddy x

      Delete
  4. Oh Teddy, how did you know that I had been missing you!! So lovely to hear from you today. You and Poppy both look very smart with your new haircuts, but I understand that you were upset to lose that grubby look that you had been working on. Just think though, it will be much nicer to sleep with Poppy now that she isn't so grubby! It looks as though your game of chase was fun, I am sure that Poppy will get better at the rules as she gets older, remember that she isn't as experienced in all things doggy as you are, and girls like to do silly things sometimes too! I hope that Mum's sewing went well and that you weren't needed too many times for support, tell her to show off what she made when it is finished! I hope you have a nice evening by the fire tonight! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aunty Amy, That is very kind of you to leave me a message, especially as I know you've got a bad shoulder (so have I- I've had medicine for it AND been on lead walking for a week. It is a bit better now so if yours isn't recovered yet perhaps medicine and lead walking would help you too?).

      You're right about Poppy being young- I forget that she is sometimes, so I should be more patient with her, but it is hard to be so when my head is being jumped on or my back leg chewed :o)

      Mum says to tell you the sewing went far better than expected and she managed to produce a pair of wearable shorts. She's now threatening to make them for the entire family :o)

      We're glad you like our haircuts. Lots of love from T and P xx

      Delete
  5. Hilarious! Thank you for sharing the tale of your day out to the groomer's. You have a Canadian Westie cousin (I'm thinking you all must be related if your lines are traced back far enough) named Fergus who is terrified of the groomer. I will have to read him your account. Maybe it will help calm him down next time he goes. You and your canine sibling look quite handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do read Cousin Fergus my account, Kristie. If he's anything like me and our Westie cousin Dougal who lives near me and also goes to see Mrs Dunning he will get very worried about things like this. Mrs Dunning was so nice and kind I didn't mind at all. Perhaps Fergus should consider coming to England to see her for his hair cut next time? Love Ted x

      Delete
  6. Oh Teddy you and Poppy look so smart. I have had a wash and a good brush today, I can't think why! I also overheard a mention of a first haircut tomorrow, what advice can you give? Love Tavi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tavi, how lovely to hear from you- you are getting grown up writing your own comments now, well done. My advice to you about hair cuts is try not to worry. Perhaps Mrs Dunning has a sister who lives in West Bay and it might be her you are going to see? You will have to do something about the smell when you come home though- we suggest rolling in the garden, or maybe a paddle in the sea? Let us know how you get on. I;m sure it will be fine. Poppy says she will come with you for moral support if you are really worried because nothing in life phases her! Love, T and P xx

      Delete
  7. If we were wolves,we'd whistle,but we're not...we're cats so not entirely sure what we should do to show how gorgeous we think you look. Mummy Janey can howl like a wolf,but we don't think that's the right thing.
    Anyway, how about some purrs...we can do those.
    Us at Mummy Janey's xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane's cats! We like the sound of the purrs, in fact, we could hear them all the way across the sea so they must have been loud. I suppose, being cats, you don't need baths and hair cuts and get by just on brushing and self-grooming? Love T and P xx

      Delete
  8. Well Teddy, thanks for posting. How lovely you and Poppy look. I must say you have taken me back a while to when my lovely boys were washed and groomed, I can still smell them even after all this time! Absolutely no rolling in fox poo...be good to mum...at least for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie- we are relieved everyone like our new hair do's. We're going out for a walk after lunch because when we left Mrs Dunning yesterday, she told us to 'stay clean for at least a day', so we figure by 12 o'clock we'll have done that and can get dirty again without being told off! xx

      Delete
  9. You guys, you are too cute. Don't go rolling in foxy you-know what now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll try not to Shauna, but it is SO HARD resisting fox poo, especially when you're silver and you smell of flowers. That's just plain wrong for a doggy person :o) Love, T and P xx

      Delete
  10. Oh Teddy, you look as smart as smart can be, well done Mrs Dunning. And it never hurts to look pretty for Great Crested Newts, even after dark. Hope those shorts came out nicely. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ. We're hoping to get some rolling in mud in today when we go for our walk- even Dad said he preferred our old smell to the flowers! Mum saw lots of Great Crested Newts in the forest last night, so her hair cut must have worked. The shorts worked too- she's still in shock about that! :o) Love Teddy xx

      Delete
  11. What a fantastic post. I loved it from start to finish and am still smiling.

    BRILLIANT

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I'm very pleased you enjoyed it. I do like writing posts on Mum's blog (when she lets me). Love Teddy xx

      Delete
  12. Teddy, You and Poppy look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- we are relieved everyone likes the new hair cuts because we weren't sure about them ourselves. Now all I need to do is get rid of the silver! Love Ted xx

      Delete
  13. Pity we can't see your Mum's new hair cut, Ted. You two look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ours is better Stephanie, to be honest. Mum's look just the same as before, only with straighter lines along the bottom :o) xx

      Delete
  14. Dearest Teddy - You can take over yer Mum's post anytime. This was the best day and I loved reading it. I am stuck in 10 ft snowdrifts and still have my long winter coat, but I did hear my Mum mention "Linda" the other day. She is my "Go To Spring Spa Lady", and I get to play and run in her house till its "TUB" TIME, then I wait patiently while she coo's n cuddles me, whilst clipping n cutting. I hardly notice what she has done cause she is such bliss to be around.....then my Mum pokes her head around the corner and begins with the "Oh, look at my Jack"....then, like yours, the oooh n aaahs come with CUDDLES N KISSES. I LOVE SPA DAY - then I try and run n roll in back yard when Mum gets me home too. Aren't we bad, eh. ha,ha,ha lol Puppy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jack, we were wondering if you still had snow. You must be missing mud to roll in :o) We love hearing from our doggy cousins all round the world- I will have to read your comment out to Poppy because she is too small to read still.
      It sounds like your dog grooming lady is just like ours! Love Ted xx

      Delete
  15. Completely delightful! Teddy, you both look wonderful! You have quite a way with words....have you considered having your own blog? Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice :o) We're very glad you like our hair do's as we weren't sure about them at first. I will ponder your words about me having my own blog. I certainly do enjoy taking over mum's from time to time! Love Ted xx

      Delete
  16. You both look very smart with your new hairdos. I've been avoiding the brush and comb here and fortunately it's still a little cold to to have a haircut so I'm safe for a couple of weeks yet. Regards, Mad Wee Dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mad Wee Dog, well done on avoiding the hair brush, comb and cut, but we feel it can only be a matter of time- as soon as it warms up you'll be off to the doggy parlour just like we were :o) T and P x

      Delete
  17. Aww Teddy.. you and poppy look so cute.. I love your new hair cuts.. you look like you have great fun chasing each other round the greenhouse. Hope you post again soon.. I like to hear what you and poppy are getting up to :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie :o) I will tell mum to let me write another post soon xx

      Delete
  18. Hello Ted,

    I was wondering where you were. You and Poppy look so smart.
    I love your little tales, please keep them coming.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Irene :o)

      We've been Quite Busy here so haven't been on mum's blog so much recently. I promise to keep you updated on what we're up to. Love Ted xx

      Delete
  19. Hey Teddy,
    May I say that you and Poppy look very smart with your new hair dos. I hate having my hair cut. I makes me feel very anxious. However my hair is not as gorgeous as yours or Poppy's. And can I finish by saying that I read Mrs Danning as Mrs Danvers and was very afraid for you. Thank goodness she was a kind lady who just wanted you to look nice, and not some psychopathic housekeeper. Phew.
    Keep running round that greenhouse,
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aunty Lea :o)

      I have no idea what a psychopathic housekeeper is (thank goodness), but I can tell from your worried tone that it wouldn't be a good thing, so I am very glad Mrs Dunning wasn't one. If you ever find yourself in Hampshire, we would be Very Happy for you to come running round and round the greenhouse with us- it is an instant cure for melancholy (not that you are melancholic, just that it is Great Fun and makes you feel all buzzy and happy, which is a Nice Feeling), love Ted xx

      Delete
  20. I'm a little late, but that is just the cutest story ever. You both look very good. Nothing makes you want to run and play like a bath and a hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Henny Penny. So far, I haven't been able to shift the silver, but on the other hand everyone here has got used to it now and has stopped shielding their eyes when they look at me, or indeed using those special eclipse sunglasses that were everywhere here in the UK earlier this week. Love Ted xx

      Delete
  21. Looking very smart, must get my hair cut soon as my belly hair is reaching the floor !!!
    Old man xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy says she knows the feeling, Old Man. My own belly hair doesn't reach the floor because it grows sideways. On the other hand, I do get a middle parting down my back when my coat gets long, which isn't such a good look. We had some friends here today and I got more cuddles that normal because everyone wanted to congratulate me on my new hair cut :o) Good luck with yours, Love Ted xx

      Delete
    2. App booked for next Tuesday, mum want's to do a before and after photo, we will have to see as I have been known to sulk for day's after having my hair cut...
      Mum would like to know if you are all well and just busy with uni work, as she is missing you in blog land...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    3. Good luck! We will be thinking of you re your hair cut :o)

      Our mum says thank you v much to your mum for her kind message, she's just got back from a few days in the Cambridgeshire Fens on a field study tour. She's going to do a post about it all when she's caught up on her sleep! xx

      Delete
  22. Face chewing can't be recommended highly enough by us. Snippet fears our mum will be getting the clippers out very soon. Jack is wearing a strange box around his neck that sprays in his face. Does she really think he's going to behave better? Love Jack and Snippet. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect Jack isn't at all bothered by the sprayer box. If he's anything like our cousin Dylan who had one that emitted a squeak every time he barked, he'll ignore it completely :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x