Friday, 6 February 2015

William Morris Arrives, The Sewing Bee Begins And I Have A New TVBF

I didn't watch the Sewing Bee last night because it isn't M's thing and I didn't think it was fair to inflict it on him. Instead, I am saving it for tonight when I will sit down with a big mug of hot water by the fire and have a blissful hour of sewing-related indulgence before he gets back from work (not to mention staring happily at the Very Dapper And Frighteningly Stern Patrick Grant, whom I think is a definite candidate for TVBF number, what is it- 6? I fear TVBF number 1 (Damien Lewis in case you have forgotten) has slipped down the ratings while he is busy portraying a decidedly unattractive Henry VIII in Wolf Hall, while Mark Rylance as Cromwell is Doing Rather Better and is an Unexpected New Entry at number 2, behind Cillian Murphy who has moved up to Number 1 in the absence of DL. It must be all that brooding silence and the faint air of menace he exudes. To those of you who are  new to CTales, TVBFs are a topic of conversation we like to indulge in here from time to time, please feel free to join in and let us all know who yours is. You might even have a TVH (TV Husband) like Rachel).

Of course, it should be a nice Big Glass Of Vino to accompany the prog instead of Hot Water (I know, I know, Life In The Fast Lane, eh?), but we are trying to eschew wine during the week and it having been a Trying Week of Nursing Duty means I only managed to eschew it on Monday so I have Ground To Make Up.

To be honest I'm not convinced it makes much difference all this eschewing. I don't drink gallons of wine, just a glass at a time and it isn't all that long ago that the Powers That Be were telling us two glasses of red a night were positively good for you. And then yesterday I saw a report on the Beeb declaring that running is bad for you. Apparently, the secret to health is 15-20 mins moderate exercise three times a week. Heaven forbid we should raise a sweat or a heart rate or actually make our lungs and muscles work.

I've been running regularly for 18 months and in all that time I haven't had a single cold or been properly laid up with anything. At the first sniffle I chuck on my running shoes and zoom up and down our lane and by the time I get back the sniffle has been chased away. At the very least running gives me a bottom and legs that are not wobbling under their own force of gravity, and believe me, at forty that is something not to be sniffed at (that came out wrong) :o)

I did watch the class of 2014 Sewing Bee prog that was on a few nights back and got so enthused by Heather's amazing evening gown creation in the final that I forgot I can't make clothes and rushed off shrieking with excitement to download a pattern for a ball gown. Just as I was in the act of eagerly whipping out scissors and fabric and waking up Phyllis, my more sensible self grabbed me by the shoulders, shook me vigorously and said sternly: Good Grief Woman get a grip! Ball gowns take time, effort and patience, and one of those at least is spread Pretty Thin On The Ground where you're concerned. Plus, you are at the stage of making a passable Tote Bag or a Draw String and perhaps the odd more advanced quilt. For Heaven's Sake BE SENSIBLE!!!! (it is patience, the one of the three that I have almost none of, in case you were wondering. This is a Universal Truth in the best style of Jane Austen (a man in possession of a fortune must be in want of a wife etc etc) unless I am with dealing with a) L, when it is vitally important that you don't show even the faintest flicker of weakness in the sense of loss of control, because he pounces on it instantly and calmly declares it is not good to lose your temper (infuriating), or b) wild creatures, for whom I have all the time in the world, regardless of what they are doing. I have no patience at all when it comes to crowds of people (can't bear walking slowly, you see?), fools, or queues of traffic).



I will attempt some clothes making at some future point because I am a) bored with everything in the shops and b) have a ribbon ready for the label as you can see. I am also c) stubborn and don't like being told what I can and can't do. In the mean time, I am Very Happy because the William Morris fabric has arrived and this means Quilt Time :o)







I love the stories behind the designs...





I'm thinking Compton and Lily for the Quilt.

Incidentally, I've impressed myself at how prolific I have been sur le blog this week. It is largely because I have been forced to stay at home while L's been poorly and, along with dear Phyllis (who I should explain for the benefit of my lovely new readers is my sewing machine), this blog has been my a) life line and b) sanity, and your lovely comments have kept me entertained and prevented me sinking into a world of unwell children and shrinking horizons. 

Today, normal service has been resumed: L is back at school. I know he is recovered because he shouted at me when he got up for not finding him a shirt that fitted, I pointed out that there is an entire rail full of shirts in J's room and his legs and arms all work well enough to fetch one AND the last time I checked I could not mind read AND I had been kind enough to put his school uniform on the radiator last night so it was warm when he got up. Then we had complete silence in the car on the way to school unless you count the truly shocking music I am forced to listen to on the radio, followed by a monosyllabic grunt that barely registered on the auditory scale for humans in response to my cheerful and loving bye darling! hope have a good day and have you got your bus pass? as he left. He went armed with his completed options form (computing, history, geography and resistant materials) as well as various letters excusing him from PE and generally apologising for the lack of completed homework.

The doggies and I went off for our morning walk through the woods and fields in the frost where I saw a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers, several deer, heard an Owl out late and a flock of Gold Crests chattering high up in the trees as well as two nuthatches having a quarrel, while Pop zoomed about and I waited for Ted to drag his attention away from a squirrel and come here!

Owing to the fact I've been super-glued to the house all week, my law essay is finished and stats work has even been looked at (briefly, which is the best way to do Stats), so all of this means I have the rest of the day FREE!!!!!

Incidentally, I thought you might like a glimpse into my Stats module. What d'you make of this? "If the discrepancy between observed and expected frequencies is great then the value of the calculated test statistic will exceed the critical value of the appropriate number of degrees of freedom."

Now that is enough to drive a reasonable person to drink :o)

There is hoovering that needs doing, but I have perfected the art through long years of devoted study of ignoring that and I am tempted to go and buy some nice new stationery instead, having fallen in to the trap of looking on the Emma Bridgewater Web site last nigh. Goodness but her fabric is expensive! Lovely certainly, but jolly pricey.

I'll leave you with some shots of the Doggy People from this morning. I do need to get them more doggy biscuits as Pop was keen to point out, and the bird seed is also getting low, so praps a visit into Romsey where I might accidentally find myself straying towards a Cake Shop and a purchase or two to make up for the wine I will be eschewing later....

 

 

 


Have a great Friday and a Lovely Weekend All,

CT x

 

33 comments:

  1. Glad to hear L is better and back at school! Love the William Morris fabric :) Mark Rylance would be top of my list of TVBF's - swoon :) Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As has been noted before, you and I share the same taste in fellas :o) I expect you know your fave Mr Cumberbatch is engaged :o( Rather depressingly, when I typed his name into Google to check the spelling just now I got as far as "bene" before it suggested him as top of the list xx

      Delete
  2. Glad L is feeling much better, a relief for you I'm sure. That fabric is to die for, I might have a quick google shortly. I adore Emma Bridgewater, have cupboards full of the stuff. They do some really good sales too but I've never seen the fabric reduced, but I agree it is rather lovely! Your doggies are so sweet & lovely, mine is trying to get in the perfect position for the bit of sun that's streaming through the window at present. Hope you have a fab night x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will appreciate normal service being resumed equals teenage grumps and isolation from parent! All perfectly normal so that is good. Don't get me started on EB, I could easily spend a fortune on her stuff. I love the ways dogs and cats curl up in the smallest patch of sunlight :o) xx

      Delete
  3. I think "Lily n Compton" is a great selection for the quilt. My Mom used to make quilts. I still have a couple on the beds in the guest rooms. I have never made one. I have read and re-read that two glasses of wine daily is good for your blood and body, so enjoy your show with a nice glass of bubbly. My Jack jumps up in my chair by the window with me every morning to fall asleep with head on lap while the sun shines on er bottom. ha,ha Have a wonderful day. Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your advice re the wine, Lilly :o) And Jack sunning her bottom sounds eminently sensible to me, especially with several feet of snow lying on the ground! x

      Delete
  4. Tremendous post today, really cheery. I too do not like walking slowly, nor suffer fools gladly, so I'm sympatico with you m'dear. Re the ball gown, perhaps if you're really keen you could give it a try in a recycled material to see how well you would cope, then once you have mastered the pattern make it in something suitably dazzling.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a genius idea re the practice fabric. I will give it a go :o) Glad you enjoyed today's offering- I felt it was time I wrote something with a touch of humour! xx

      Delete
  5. Wish there was an Arts and Crafts movement again, CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful stuff isn't it? Ma and I were reminiscing about houses we knew in London in the 70's that were decorated with William Morris wallpaper.

      Delete
  6. I love that fabric! I was in the fabric shop today, and seen nothing that will go with my vintage quilt fabric-how is that possible! Now, you will have to fight me for Patrick Grant, it will be most unseemly.I'm off to make your passionfruit melts. :) Have a great weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, curious about the lack of fabric to go with your quilt- have you tried online? Or look at Libertys or Laura Ashley maybe? There was some lovely old fashioned floral patterned stuff on ebay I found yesterday and not too expensive either. I restrained myself at the time but saved it in my list just in case! :o)

      My sis has just texted me to say her friend once went out with Mr Grant!!!!!!! Perhaps we could have a competition to decide who gets the rights to him? How about the person who can eat the most passionfruit melts in five minutes? (bearing in mind I have been practicing just that all week) :o) xx

      Delete
  7. I am not allowed a tvbf, because I got myself a husband. I used to have David Tennant but then himself took agin it. As himself makes my dinner ( and I am mightily fond of eating) I gave up DT, who in fairness never even made me a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't smile much either, DT. M is good about all my TVBFs, but that is only because he has his own TVGF, the local weather girl. It's an ongoing saga catalogued here http://countrysidetales.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/what-do-you-think-of-my-new-tv.html and here http://countrysidetales.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/i-have-new-camera-new-tb-boyfriend-and.html if you're at a loss for something to do and want a laugh for ten minutes or so :o) x

      Delete
  8. I loved all your ramblings today and had to smile at some of the things. Glad L is better again. The W. Morris fabrics all look gorgeous. Phyllis would be pleased with any of them, I'm sure! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get started on my new quilt! I haven't shown Phyllis the New Goodies yet- she will be as excited as I am :o) Have a lovely weekend too x

      Delete
  9. Am I the only person in the world who can't sew? If I had to make my own clothes,I'd be wearing empty bird seed sacks.
    Now,drinking wine I'm good at.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather fear I may be doing the same, Jane. Possibly the answer is to drink copious quantities of wine before going out in home-sewn clothes then it won't matter :o) x

      Delete
  10. I currently have a whole SET of TVBFs ( my TVH is very understanding ) - the Welsh rugby team. ALL of them!!! I'm such a slut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my girl! (not the slut part, obviously :o)). M has declared tonight is RUGBY NIGHT, so I may have to join you in your appreciation :o) xx

      Delete
  11. I loved yesterday's baking but I am Off It rather, as whilst I can have the eggs and the flour, everything else is out of bounds these days . . .

    LOVELY William Morris material (his designs are my favourites). I look forward to the new quilt in the fabrics you chose. As for yoru essay title - dear God, I had one a bit like that for Archaeology once - it was an obscure quote from a Media book and I hadn't the foggiest what was meant, so I threw something together the night before it was due in (desperation you see) and got a First for it . . .

    I think Mark Rylance as Cromwell has a rather gentle sad face - the Cromwell I know from novels and A Man For All Seasons was big, fat and nasty . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night before essay writing is Bang On for the wretched Stats. I shall follow your example (although I strongly suspect the First is already out the window!).

      I LOVED Hilary Mantel's Cromwell books, he fascinates me :o)

      Delete
  12. Oh what sweet little doggies you have. The bag of dog food is substantially bigger than they are! That stats sentence has made me feel quite anxious. And I'm with you when it comes to patience. NONE. What is it with people who walk slowly right in front of us??? Places to go. I get unrealistic ideas when I watch things like Sewing Bee as well. Glad I'm not the only one. The William Morris fabric is lovely. I need to put in some hours on my purple and black (and white and pink and grey) quilt. I'm glad L is all better now. And I'm wishing you all a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, stats are horrid, it's official :o)

      I hadn't thought how ginormous the dog food bag is next to the actual dogs- that's so funny! Normally Pop ignores it completely, but her bowl was empty and she knows that's where refills come from, clever girl :o)

      Glad you like the new fabric- I am dying to see your quilt. Will try and make a start on mine over the weekend and pop some piccies up. VERY excited about making it :o)

      Hope you have a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  13. Hey CT,
    I recently discovered the rather dishy Patrick whilst watching celebrity sewing bee. Even with a tash he was a definite candidate for the list. I'm saddened by your demotion of Damien Lewis - he just gets better and better. I'd like to add a very recent (in the last three mins) entry. I've no idea what his name is, but he scored Wales's first try this evening.
    Have a great weekend. Drink the wine.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the facial hair is a bit of a worry really.

      Rhys Webb (I hope you're impressed?). I'll allow you that one. I expect to bounce back to DL in due course, hopefully he will play another character similar to Brody in Homeland rather than the wife murdering Henry :o)

      Have had the wine (am such a tart, no will power at all). Just off to catch up on your 5 on Fri. Enjoy the weekend honey xxx

      Delete
  14. Glad to hear that L is doing so much better!! I love love love your wonderful fabrics!! How beautiful are they! Can I be really forward and ask where they came from? Cannot wait to see what they turn into! It has been lovely having you around your blog more this week, although I do wish that it hadn't been because of L being ill of course! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can :o) I got them from a company called Laura's Beau (website laurasbeau.co.uk). Reasonably priced and they were delivered two days after ordering :o) They do prints other than William Morris as well. I shall be v excited if you get some too!
      Thanks for kind words re L, he seems right as rain now. Have a lovely weekend my dear xx

      Delete
  15. Well, this was a chatty post - I think you've just about covered everything there. Glad the boy is feeling a lot better and you have got your life back. Super cute pics of the dogs. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine :o) Onwards and upwards now.

      Delete
  16. Hi CT, what a great post to read, my TVH has to be Steve Mcgarrett (Alex O'loughlin) Australian actor on Hawaii Five-O......
    Glad L is better, and like my son back to grunting rather than talking to me !!
    So glad you liked the sewing B, going to find there are not enough hours in the day to get things done with all you hobbies, and love the fabric..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I approve of him :o) How come I missed that on TV?!

    Funny how mums the world over can translate teenage grunts with ease when no one else can make any sense of them o:)

    Watched episode 1 of the Sewing Bee and am totally hooked now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve of my TVH ,have a photo of him on my Pinterest page , he has a gun strapped to his leg.....Ho my...!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x