Wednesday, 4 February 2015

When A Sewing Machine Is A Mother's Best Friend

Phyllis, my sewing machine, was an Enormous Help to me yesterday.


This was a Familiar Scene in our house throughout the day. If you have children you will be Very Familiar with these two items :o)

 
L was not a well lad and I spent the day in full on Nurse Mode, snatching brief lungfuls of fresh air whenever I could stick my head out the door and refereeing Ted and Poppy's scampering/ chasing about in between times. He has to be Very Poorly Indeed to want me to stay with him all the time like that, being an Increasingly Independent Teenager these days, and I was worried.

He was running a fever throughout the day that got worse as time went on. As with all of us, after a bit of paracetamol the fever would drop and he would rally, but it kept returning.

I lit the fire, put blankets on him and gave him a hot water bottle and Ted curled up for a while by his feet while Pop lay watchful on the floor by his side, and still he shivered and the thermometer rose higher. We watched a bit of A Team (the old ones which we both love and I grew up on) together in the evening while I sat on the floor and sorted through my fabric box. And when he was feeling well enough to talk, we chatted a bit about the various Mod Packs on Minecraft, but mostly he was listless and under the weather. I hate seeing him like that, all the vivacity deflated out of him.

Throughout all this, Phyllis was my saviour. She and I rattled through various projects together; a shopping bag made from bee-print fabric lined with blue polka dots which I've been holding on to and getting out every now and then to admire, some drawstring bags as gifts for friends with up coming birthdays, the rose print quilt which ended up as a lined summer sheet because it looked too pale for winter use on the bed. What would I have done without her? She didn't complain if I had to rush off and tend to the Poorly One, she just waited patiently until I returned and we resumed our work together. Phyllis is a Very Reliable Soul :o)
 





  

 



This is my current fave backing fabric. It's soft, lovely to work with, the colour and pattern are cheerful and perfect for quilts and it doesn't cost the earth :o)


The rose print quilt presented me with a problem: if it wasn't working as a winter quilt what fabric was I going to use to make one with instead? I've currently got L's stag print on one our bed but I really want to make a decent one for me.

Last week I ordered a half metre of William Morris Strawberry Thief fabric (the red version) which I absolutely love, so I went back on line and chose four more William Morris Prints to make my new quilt from, including the blue strawberry thief. They are on their way and I am Very Excited about them arriving :o). They might even be here tomorrow, and if L is well enough Ma and I have a Sewing Club Day booked in so I shall be able to get on with making it then! I have the softest cotton and bamboo batting (filling) ready and waiting and the backing sheet (two choices- roses, or a swirling green leaf pattern on cream background), so I can Crack On as soon as our lovely postman plops them onto my floor :o) I love the bold colours and striking swirling repeating patterns Morris created, all inspired by the things he noticed in nature.

I also got some baking done in between the sewing and nursing: chicken and sweet potato pie for tea. It was Very Warming and Just What Was Needed (with a glass of vino)....

 

But by five pm L had taken a turn for the worse and I was worried enough to call the surgery. The nurse was lovely and of course by the time she rang back to check for a second time his temp had dropped again and he was looking better.

Not for long. By 8 he was burning up and the thermometer registered 39.9. He was listless and properly poorly. M was out at a work's do so it was just me at home. I think parents slip into automatic pilot at times like these. All children spend a lot of their first 6 or so years copying with one illness after another as their immunity builds and you learn to stay calm and get on with it because the alternative is to panic and be useless. I have experienced dangerously high temps with L before, it is how his body responds to bacteria or viruses. Most noticeable of these was when he was 11 months old and had a temp of 40 which is serious in babies. The advice then was to take most of his clothes off and hold him by a window to get it down quickly. It worked, thank goodness, and we averted the fitting that can happen.

By 10pm last night he was very sick and I was worried enough to call the 111 number that's replaced NHS direct. A lovely nurse named Shelley rang me back at midnight and she could not have been kinder, more reassuring, thorough and comforting. They do a brilliant job and I take my hat off to them. She spent ages on the phone with me asking questions, answering mine and checking and double checking everything with L and by the time we'd gone through everything he had rallied, was talking again and had a better colour. Her final words were 'We're here all through the night so please phone back at any time if you're worried.' If by any remote chance she or anyone who knows her happens to be reading this Thank You So Much, you were very kind and reassuring and helped this particular mum stay calm more than you know.

L was well enough to go to bed by 12.30 and I left his door and ours open so I could hear him if he needed me. At one am the fever broke and this morning his skin is cool and a normal colour and he is sounding much more like himself so I really hope he is through the worst of it.

Yesterday was Quite A Day and I am glad it is behind us. Today, Phyllis and I have more projects to quietly get on with, I am planning on doing some gentle baking, and L will be resting quietly and recuperating. He is well enough this morning to appreciate the fact he's got a day off school, which more than anything else tells me he is feeling better. Phew :o)

The plus side of all of this is that I don't think I've run up and down stairs so many times in one day in my life before and therefore my bum and legs are probably in better shape than if I'd managed to get out for an actual run! Always the silver lining, eh?

And as for Phyllis, well, she'd earnt her rest and spent the night safely tucked up inside her new cover, sleeping soundly....

 

Take care all,

CT :o)


 

26 comments:

  1. My goodness what a day and night you have had. So sorry to hear that L got worse, but glad to hear that he is improving now. Not nice at all. Glad that you got great service from 111, it is so reassuring to speak to someone isn't it. Great service too from Phyllis keeping you company. I hope that today is an easier day for you all. Beautiful things you made! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. It was worrying and I am just glad he's looking and sounding more normal today. Can't help but panic a bit, no matter how hard you try not to, you just love them so much :o) xx

      Delete
  2. What a day indeed. I'm so glad he's feeling a little better now, it sounds as though you both had a really dreadful time. It's so scary when they're ill, and it's hard to feel so powerless. I do hope he recovers quickly. I've had my sewing machine out a bit lately too, pressing on with a large quilt. I'm over half way through the top now, yey! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ, it is horrible when your children are sick isn't it? I would love to see your quilt, if you felt able to put a piccy on your blog? I am very nosy about other people's sewing projects these days :o) They do take time to make, these quilts don't they? But so worth it when you get them finished and are able to use them xx

      Delete
  3. Oh me sweet you have my sympathies! There is nothing worse than having an ill older child & then not knowing if they are ill enough to contact the medics! I'm so glad he is feeling better, believe me I have been there with all that dithering. Funny how you can be so confident then go in a blind panic when your child becomes ill. Glad you had Phyllis to fall back on. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo :o) Being a mummy is a Tough Job sometimes for sure. I think I've got out of practice with illness as he's been right as rain for months, in fact, I can't remember the last time any of us went to the GP. Hopefully onward and upwards to full recovery now xx

      Delete
  4. Oh how kids worry us and believe me it never stops. Mine are 50,47 and 43 and I still get concerned over them. lol
    glad L is better now, there's a lots of nasty bugs going around at the moment and they seem to be striking all of a sudden.
    Love the little draw string bags.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe your oldest is 50! You must have been a child bride, Bri :o) xx

      Delete
  5. What a dreadful day you had - so horrendous when a child is ill and the temperature keeps soaring. Glad to hear L is a bit better now and hope he's fully recovered soon. Lovely to see all the items you've been making with Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty scary at times, but thank goodness he seems to have bounced back today. x

      Delete
  6. Always a bit frightening when your children are ill no matter how rational you try to be. Was this all from the vaccination the other day, or have i got that muddled? Good you kept busy throughout and you've made some lovely things too. Hope he is completely better soon.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My suspicion is that it was. It seems like too much of a coincidence and if it was a bug it seems to have (fingers crossed) departed very quickly. There is a Yellow Card scheme that allows you to record after effects of vaccines and I think I will record this- hopefully it will help future cases. Poor old boy he was really poorly but no fever today. Thanks Jean xx

      Delete
  7. Hey CT,
    Hooray for Phyllis, hooray for the NHS and a big hooray for you. I hope L is feeling better tomorrow. It's horrid when they are proper poorly, and I know just what you mean about the automatic pilot mode. I'm afraid I'm a dreadful nurse. Just ask Sam; he's suffering with new braces and I've just told him to 'man up'. Having read this post I feel extremely guilty, and am about to administer some Mum love right now.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I don't want you to feel guilty! There are definitely times when 'man up' is the right response- L would tell you how mean I am about sending him to school when he doesn't feel well :o) All mums have an inbuilt radar that lets us know when it's genuine illness as opposed to a touch of man flu, eh? xx

      Delete
    2. Mum love was duly administered with a Twirl. He polished it off rather effectively for one that "cannot even begin to describe the pain." hmmmmmm

      Delete
  8. Both my boys were like this over Christmas, hard work at the best of times but we were all ill. Son number two has a trick of passing out when his temp gets to high so has to sleep on the floor..they are still our babies no matter how old they get. Glad your son has got through the worst of it and hopefully feeling better in a few days.
    Your sewing looks lovely and the sewing B starts tonight :)
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be very frightening Amanda. I always worry about fits, although I know that's more young children than teens with high temps. Just hate seeing them unwell. Thanks for reminder re sewing bee- I shall be watching! xx

      Delete
    2. Got it wrong.. Thursday night ..!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Lovely sewing projects! Glad to hear your son is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what, I was just telling someone yesterday, that I think teenagers are much like toddlers when it comes to illnesses. My boy was ill with high temp and headache last week. I was convinced it was meningitis. I'm not a drama llama. But the changes teens are going through does make them susceptible to more alarming illnesses and I certainly have worried more than when they were aged 6-14 say. I'm glad all is well xx just read that back, I sound utterly bonkers!! The time is 5.57am. My brain isn't switched on yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be so careful with teens and meningitis. Funnily enough it was the Men c vaccine along with tetanus and two others that I think prompted L's reaction. You don't sound bonkers at all and I'm v impressed you're blogging at a time which has 5am in it! xx

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear about you boy have a fever and gad he is OK now. You certainly were kept very busy but I see Phyllis pulled you through the day with her creative powers. Glad he had a good nights sleep under her new cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret :o) Phyllis was a Great Help xx

      Delete
  12. I'm glad L is getting better now and that you were able to stay around and look after him. All boys need their mums no matter their age! Good job done with Phyllis too. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, big relief to have him back to normal xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x